Apple launches new iPod touch with 64-bit A8 CPU, 8MP camera, M8 motion coprocessor & 128GB capacity

Comments

• Reply 21 of 173
    Well, that should last for a few years!
  • Reply 22 of 173

A8+M8 is surprising, and I like it.  The camera protrusion could have been fixed but not a big deal at all.  Display doesn't need work, but I'm surprised the technical specification doesn't say it is full sRGB standard.  Isn't the fifth generation the same display as the iPhone 5 which is also full sRGB standard?  Camera is very strange: iPhone 5 aperture, iPhone 5s slo-mo and burst mode, iPhone 6 front-facing camera, iPhone 6 panorama, no idea if its true-tone flash.  Very mixed bag of things.  802.11ac is sort of expected that no one even talks about but its here.

Very good set of updates, the iPod touch looks more refreshing than ever :)

On the other hand, the new iPod touch has Bluetooth 4.1  All other iPhones have 4.0 :)

• Reply 23 of 173
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post

128GB would have been impressive a couple of years ago. For $400, the current top model should be 256GB. That would have finally caught up to the old iPod classic capacity. I paid single piece, end user price of $100 for a fast 256GB flash card a year ago.

The days of Apple selling the latest tech are long gone. I know, I know, nobody is supposed to want local storage and everything should be hosted on Apple's servers.

Evolve or die. You could always track down an old Zune I guess.

• Reply 24 of 173
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

This is excellent news: A 4 inch screen with a friggin' A8, M8 Processor and 8 MegaPixel camera with burst mode?

The iPod is dead. Long live the iPod!

• Reply 25 of 173
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Phil Schiller is crying because he couldn't meet your (and your likely cadre of <10,000 on your side of the line in the sand) requirements.

That's sad.  I'll try not to express my opinion on this opinion board if it'll make Apple VPs cry, or other posters get snippy.

• Reply 26 of 173
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

What? No Force Touch? Bummer. But the A8 M8 processors are great. Wonder if the system RAM is 1 or 2 GB? Love the 128GB storage option. With magicJack installed it's a WiFi VOIP 4" iPhone 6 minus Touch ID. Wonder if an ?WATCH running watchOS 2 will be allowed to pair with this running iOS 9. Can't imagine why not. Would open up a whole wider market for ?WATCH since these iPod touches are a lot less expensive than their iPhone counterparts.

I'm excited. Gamers are gonna love these. And they are incredibly thin and light too. Wonder if they have a GPS chip inside. Probably not right?

?

You over exaggerate the usefulness of a portable that is Wi-Fi only. No it will not pair with Apple Watch. No it does not have GPS. No it will not suddenly become popular again.

• Reply 27 of 173
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    izenstein wrote: »
    In a wifi world you can FaceTime with this or Skype or Google phone. This is a low cost alternative to the iPhone. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    You are correct sir. Install the free magicJack VOIP app and you've got a WiFi iPhone with no monthly charges.
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">The bigger question is whether Watch integrates seamlessly. </span>
    Zactly. If these and all the A5 iPods running iOS 9 can pair with watchOS 2 ?WATCHes, the market for ?WATCH will explode exponentially. That's an extremely exciting possibility I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple reveal in September. Plus pairing watchOS 2 ?WATCHes with any iPad above the original of course.??????

A8 M8 on a 4" screen that only weighs 3oz boggles the mind. Gamers are gonna go ape shit for this iPod touch.???????????????????? Plus I just discovered it's got 802.11ac High Speed WiFi???? And Bluetooth 4.1 too????????
  • Reply 28 of 173
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

No TouchId?  Deal breaker.

RIGHT?!?! AND No Cellular either! What a joke!

Oh wait, its not an iPhone, and it only costs $200..... :no:

• Reply 29 of 173
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

I know it doesn't have cellular capability but can it be used with specific apps for VoIP use? 

Quote:

Originally Posted by currentinterest View Post

Perfect for kids. The 4 inch screen is just right for smaller hands.

I wish Apple would promote or partner with cities to get municipal WiFi established. Everyone could do VOIP and iPods would be perfect for kids to allow them to contact parents or authorities in case of emergency without having an expensive iPhone contract. A municipal WiFi could also be beneficial to a city by attracting companies to relocate in the area and city employees could use it for communication and specialized apps while in the field. WiFi should be a universal service for everyone. Sure, someone has to pay for it, but if Apple paid for it perhaps they could make it exclusive to Apple devices. That would be sweet.

• Reply 30 of 173
    Quote:

No TouchId?  Deal breaker.

iPod Touch = For Kids = No Credit cards = No TouchID

• Reply 31 of 173
    Quote:

Wonder if they have a GPS chip inside. Probably not right?

Quote:

1. For iPod touch with Maps, the Maps application provides your approximate location using information based on your proximity to known Wi-Fi networks (when on and available). The more accurate the available information, the smaller the circle identifying your position on the map. The feature is not available in all areas. Known Wi-Fi networks are predominantly in urban areas. In order to provide your location, data is collected in a form that does not personally identify you. If you do not want such data collected, do not enable the feature. Not enabling the feature will not impact the functionality of your iPod touch.

• Reply 32 of 173
    aylkaylk Posts: 54member
    Quote:

???  It's the same resolution as all retina iPhones bar the 6+

No.

iPod touch, 5s, 5c: 640 x 1136   

6: 750 x 1334    

6+: 1242 x 2208

• Reply 33 of 173
    Quote:

You are correct sir. Install the free magicJack VOIP app and you've got a WiFi iPhone with no monthly charges.

Zactly. If these and all the A5 iPods running iOS 9 can pair with watchOS 2 ?WATCHes, the market for ?WATCH will explode exponentially. That's an extremely exciting possibility I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple reveal in September. Plus pairing watchOS 2 ?WATCHes with any iPad above the original of course.??????

You do understand that the reason the Apple Watch requires iPhone and is not a standalone product is the same reason why it will not ever be used with an iPod touch, right?

• Reply 34 of 173
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aylk View Post

No.

iPod touch, 5s, 5c: 640 x 1136   

6: 750 x 1334    

6+: 1242 x 2208

And that may seem small, but it's more than a quarter million fewer pixels to drive.

• Reply 35 of 173
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member

I wonder who are buying iPod Touches.

Can anyone who has bought one recently chime in and say how you're using it?

• Reply 36 of 173
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    pmz wrote: »
    You over exaggerate the usefulness of a portable that is Wi-Fi only. No it will not pair with Apple Watch. No it does not have GPS. No it will not suddenly become popular again.
    YET. I'd be surprised if watchOS 2 ?WATCH pairing with iOS 9 iPods and iPads isn't part of the master plan for ?WATCH diffusion. No logical reason to limit pairing to iPhones only.??????
  • Reply 37 of 173
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

I bought one for my son years back mainly for games and he still love it. He is still not old enough for an iPhone so maybe I will buy him this upgraded iPod touch soon. I knew many people who used to non-iPhones who bought the iPod touch then switched to the iPhone because they loved it.

• Reply 38 of 173

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

If these and all the A5 iPods running iOS 9 can pair with watchOS 2 ?WATCHes, the market for ?WATCH will explode exponentially. That's an extremely exciting possibility I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple reveal in September.

Not going to happen.

iPod Touch has no cellular, no GPS, no Touch ID...no ?Watch support.
  • Reply 39 of 173
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Wonder if they have a GPS chip inside. Probably not right?

GPS in the Touch would've been all kinds of awesome. 

So, of course, it's nowhere to be found.  :no: 

• Reply 40 of 173
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

I replaced my dumb phone with it 3 or so years ago instead of getting a smart phone.  I have wifi at home and at work, and in many places down town and 95% of my friends/family have iPhones so I can iMessage frequently and FaceTime, plus use Apple Music/other apps.  I think maybe 5 times or so its been a problem not having a phone vs. the iPod and I've saved ~$2500.

My wife has an iPhone, however, so when we are travelling together I do have the option to tether or use her phone in an emergency, which helps me not having one.