Apple launches new iPod touch with 64-bit A8 CPU, 8MP camera, M8 motion coprocessor & 128GB capacity

Comments

• Reply 61 of 173
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Wow, $199 is a pretty damn good price for the hardware you're getting.

And no Touch ID is to be expected, less important on these as they're not eligible for Apple Pay anyway. That's Apple's main draw in making Touch ID ubiquitous.

Right. ApplePay requires the NFC chip as well. Touch ID without the ApplePay doesn't add much except cost.

• Reply 62 of 173
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    rogifan wrote: »
    How does ?Watch pair with iPod Touch when the latter doesn't have GPS?
    There's no GPS requirement for ?WATCH pairing. I believe the Apple Maps app still works using WiFi tower proximity calculations. Correct me if I'm mistaken. Yes, you can see on the desktop of the new IPod touch in the Apple Store that Maps is an included app.

I'm imagining all watchOS 2 and iOS 9 devices might be allowed to pair with one another. I'm not spreading a rumor. I'm fantasizing it will be allowed by Apple in September. It seems like the most logical way to massively expand the ?WATCH market. If I'm mistaken, then I'm pretty sure it's gonna happen with watchOS 3 and iOS 10. But I doubt Apple would want to wait for another year to make this logical evolutionary step to widen the ?WATCH appeal all over the world. Sure some ?WATCH features would be limited or not present outside of iPhone pairing. But they won't be deal breakers for a lot of folks.
  • Reply 63 of 173
    chickchick Posts: 35member
    I think I'll buy one just to have a lot of music available when I am not connected to Wi-Fi, No more playing CDs in my car. 128GB for me. Next possible an iPad Pro - depending on features.
  • Reply 64 of 173
    Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

It's for the corporate market. People put on a laser scanner/pin pad case on it and use it as a mobile cash register. Give it to a hospital worker to see where patients should be moved to. This is the same reason why the iPad has a camera... it's not for taking pictures, it's a barcode scanner.

iPad takes fine pictures. Especially for listing things on eBay.

• Reply 65 of 173
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

I wonder who are buying iPod Touches.

Can anyone who has bought one recently chime in and say how you're using it?

I bought one about a year ago to use as an mp3 player in my other vehicle. I have an iPod Classic in one and iPod Touch in another. I also use the iPod touch as my GoPro controller. 

• Reply 66 of 173
    lwiolwio Posts: 110member

If you don't want or need a cellular contract these are ideal. Almost everywhere has wifi, I have a £10 Nokia for the few actual calls I get these days. A great pocket computer.

• Reply 67 of 173
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

It's the same strategy they used in the old days with the LC; you don't want it to risk stealing sales of higher margin products.

i guess you dont understand apple. they have said time and time again that they are not afraid of killing their darlings. if the iPod touch were to grow big enough to take business from the iPhone they'd be fine w/ that. but they know that isn't going to happen.
  • Reply 68 of 173
    Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

It's for the corporate market. People put on a laser scanner/pin pad case on it and use it as a mobile cash register. Give it to a hospital worker to see where patients should be moved to. This is the same reason why the iPad has a camera... it's not for taking pictures, it's a barcode scanner.

Yes. I forgot about this third group.  The new iPod Touch will do very well with enterprise customers.

• Reply 69 of 173
    lwiolwio Posts: 110member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

iPod Touches owners fall into 2 groups:

1) Kids who are too young for a phone.

2) Homeless people with discriminating taste in electronics.

People who don't use a cell phone much, so no point in paying a contract, but want a pocket computer.

• Reply 70 of 173
    jollypaul wrote: »
    The days of Apple selling the latest tech are long gone.

you do realize thats always been the complaint about apple, right? that they aren't selling the newest Feature X (Edge, LTE, NFC, video cards, chipsets, netbooks, etc)...

apple doesnt put something into a product until they feel the time is right.
  • Reply 71 of 173
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Since the nano didn't get a software update (still has iOS 6 style UI) my guess is this is the end of the line for the nano. Maybe we'll see price cuts around the Holidays.
  • Reply 72 of 173
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

i guess you dont understand apple. they have said time and time again that they are not afraid of killing their darlings. if the iPod touch were to grow big enough to take business from the iPhone they'd be fine w/ that. but they know that isn't going to happen.

Jobs era Apple said that.

• Reply 73 of 173

iPhone 6 + iPod Touch is thinner than those ridiculous Mophie cases.

absurd argument. you'd have to keep them in two different pockets, making it a lesser solution than a battery case.

but id ask why your iPhone battery is woefully inadequate -- that sounds defective. have you brought it in for service?
  • Reply 74 of 173
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    nolamacguy wrote: »

Apple is not going to do anything that could possibly put a dent into the iPhone until they have a true iPhone replacement (in terms of revenue/margins/profits). Apple is more and more becoming the iPhone company. I'll bet any money when earnings are released next week iPhone will be taking an even larger percentage of revenues and it already is close to 70%.
  • Reply 75 of 173

Jobs era Apple said that.

please indicate where Apple has shown that they're changing their long-held stance on this. interview w/ Cook somewhere? Schiller?
  • Reply 76 of 173
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

It's the same strategy they used in the old days with the LC; you don't want it to risk stealing sales of higher margin products.

Phil could leave and I sure wouldn't shed a tear. Might get some decent product presentations.

Eddy Cue is the one I would like to see leave. The albatross around Apple's neck, he's the one responsible for Apple's lacklustre web services and Apple Music is not without its bugs too. But anyway this is a good iPod Touch upgrade, better than I was expecting - A8!

• Reply 77 of 173
    rogifan wrote: »
    Apple is not going to do anything that could possibly put a dent into the iPhone until they have a true iPhone replacement (in terms of revenue/margins/profits). Apple is more and more becoming the iPhone company. I'll bet any money when earnings are released next week iPhone will be taking an even larger percentage of revenues and it already is close to 70%.

and putting TouchID on the iPod isn't going to put a dent in iPhone sales. that isn't why they didn't do it, as WF suggests.

as for iPhone -- if Apple labs came up w/ something new (saaaay, an ultra-sonic retina implant) that would gain steam and threaten the iPhone, Apple wouldnt hold it back. i dont know much clearer they could state this -- they know their products won't stay on top forever, and they'd rather be their own competitor than have someone elsewhere be their competitor. this is why before the iPhone was their king they killed their best iPod when it was at the top, only to replace it w/ something they felt was better.

iPod touch aint that to the iPod.
  • Reply 78 of 173
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    mike1 wrote: »
    Right. ApplePay requires the NFC chip as well. Touch ID without the ApplePay doesn't add much except cost.
    My 5S and iPad Air 2 beg to differ.

Though there's an additional point there, no ?Pay on the new Touch. Annoying.
  • Reply 79 of 173
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    This is going to be a perfect companion to the apple watch 2. The iPod touch will be able to piggy back off the next watches cellular capabilities. With hand off you'll even be able to make phone calls using the touch. This way I will always have a phone with me on my wrist and if i want to do more than just quick things I can always grab my iPod touch.
  • Reply 80 of 173
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

I wonder who are buying iPod Touches.

Can anyone who has bought one recently chime in and say how you're using it?

A $25 feature phone (for those rare calls I get) and iPod touch with no celular data plan does save me a lot of $$$*. Before year's end I've earned my iPod back. And with WIFI getting ubiquitious, it really is a no brainer.

One more thing: Strangely enough, mere mortals think I am using the latest never-been-seen iPhone. They've somehow forgotten of the iPod's existence.

(*) I manage to do 4 months with a $20 pay-as-you-go-card. That is roughly $5/month: I use SMS and do the ocassional phone call when I am out of WIFI reach. However, most of the time I rely on my iPod. There's plenty of free WIFI in public transport, the coffee shop, library and coworking space 8-)