Apple launches new iPod touch with 64-bit A8 CPU, 8MP camera, M8 motion coprocessor & 128GB capacity

Comments

• Reply 81 of 173
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post

The days of Apple selling the latest tech are long gone.

multi-Touch?

64-bit mobile CPU?

TouchID?

• Reply 82 of 173
    codog24codog24 Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

People who find their iPhone's battery life woefully inadequate usually buy a battery case not a second device that has to be charged, managed and carried separately.

Not true. I carry my iPhone 6 in a holster on my hip in a very thin case that is designed to go hand-in-glove with the holster. I don't want a thick battery case, and I want to reserve my iPhone battery life for the things that it can do uniquely - cellular calls, cellular data capacities, GPS, etc.

Many of us with large iTunes libraries already carry a second device - a 160gb iPod Classic. Now we're at least able to get close to that capacity with a modern device that unlike the Classic, has not (yet) been obsoleted, is much slimmer, and offers a bunch additional functionality beyond what matters to us most - having access to our entire library, on the device in our hand (as opposed to via the cloud). I would have liked to have seen even more capacity, but this is a huge improvement over what's been available in the iPod Touch line to date. 

• Reply 83 of 173
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

I respectfully disagree. ?WATCH has a great deal of non-internet autonomy now and will have more so with watchOS 2 in September. While part of its functionality may be hindered without an Internet connection, most of it won't be and could seamlessly resume when a WiFi zone is entered. ?WATCH is beginning as an iPhone tethered Wrist Computer. But anyone who thinks it's just and only an iPhone accessory is failing to see the big picture watchOS 2 reveals.??????????????

I disrespectfully disagree. No it won't.

• Reply 84 of 173
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

you do realize thats always been the complaint about apple, right? that they aren't selling the newest Feature X (Edge, LTE, NFC, video cards, chipsets, netbooks, etc)...

apple doesnt put something into a product until they feel the time is right.

And when you add back in the context you edited out, you see I'm not asking for cutting edge technology. Just existing, affordable technology that's been available for years (256GB flash storage) and could easily have been implemented in this update. In fact, I have no doubt there were people in Apple who suggested using current storage capacities in this update and were overruled.

• Reply 85 of 173
    yanimacyanimac Posts: 23member
    Izenstein, yes you can do all that as long as you have wifi.

I do wish they incorporated Touch ID. At least in one model of it. But maybe it was a cost issue to keep the prices down. Still, I'm sure people would have bought a high end model with Touch ID.

I love Apple but sometimes their decisions make no sense.
  • Reply 86 of 173
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

That case is hideous.

Your logic is hideous.

• Reply 87 of 173
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    1983 wrote: »

Eddy Cue is the one I would like to see leave. The albatross around Apple's neck, he's the one responsible for Apple's lacklustre web services and Apple Music is not without its bugs too. But anyway this is a good iPod Touch upgrade, better than I was expecting - A8!

Yes I think Eddy is in over his head and probably has too much on his plate. Apple needs to bite the bullet and fundamentally redesign iTunes. But the fact that they keep adding more stuff to it makes that all the more difficult. It's not UI designers that make the decision to keep iTunes bloated. That comes from the top namely Eddy Cue.
  • Reply 88 of 173
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by yanimac View Post

Izenstein, yes you can do all that as long as you have wifi.

I do wish they incorporated Touch ID. At least in one model of it. But maybe it was a cost issue to keep the prices down. Still, I'm sure people would have bought a high end model with Touch ID.

I love Apple but sometimes their decisions make no sense.

I'm glad that they didn't include Touch ID. Look at the iPad Mini 3 from last year, it cost $100 more, and that was basically for Touch ID and new colors.

If this iPod Touch included Touch ID, it would've cost considerably more, and then I would've had to read about the endless whining from people complaining about the price. Therefore, it is better that Touch ID was not included. Some people are going to complain regardless of what Apple does or doesn't do. 

Apple did a real nice job with upgrading the iPod Touch. They have a winner here! This is going to appeal to a lot of people. 

• Reply 89 of 173
    Quote:

Originally Posted by codog24 View Post

Not true. I carry my iPhone 6 in a holster on my hip in a very thin case that is designed to go hand-in-glove with the holster. I don't want a thick battery case, and I want to reserve my iPhone battery life for the things that it can do uniquely - cellular calls, cellular data capacities, GPS, etc.

Many of us with large iTunes libraries already carry a second device - a 160gb iPod Classic...

You are the exception rather than the rule.

Few people are carrying a smartphone and an MP3 player these days.

That iPhone 6 battery case I mentioned earlier has 2000+ reviews.

Only a small % of people leave reviews and that is just one of the many battery cases available.

Apple is selling so few iPods they don't even have it at the top of their homepage anymore or release sales figures each quarter.

• Reply 90 of 173
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    and putting TouchID on the iPod isn't going to put a dent in iPhone sales. that isn't why they didn't do it, as WF suggests.

as for iPhone -- if Apple labs came up w/ something new (saaaay, an ultra-sonic retina implant) that would gain steam and threaten the iPhone, Apple wouldnt hold it back. i dont know much clearer they could state this -- they know their products won't stay on top forever, and they'd rather be their own competitor than have someone elsewhere be their competitor. this is why before the iPhone was their king they killed their best iPod when it was at the top, only to replace it w/ something they felt was better.

iPod touch aint that to the iPod.

But Apple has never had a product that even came close to iPhone in terms of revenues and profits. I think they're going to be a lot more careful about cannibalizing iPhone. Though I am interested to see what the future holds as it is a bit concerning that iPhone continues to be a larger and larger percentage of revenue/profits.
  • Reply 91 of 173
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Your logic is hideous.

Why don't you try a mom joke next? :rolleyes:

Block list, meet Johnny.

• Reply 92 of 173
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    crowley wrote: »
    No TouchId?  Deal breaker.

The target audience for the touch are gamers and kids. You don't want junior buying thousands of dollars of games or other stuff off the web.
  • Reply 93 of 173
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

But Apple has never had a product that even came close to iPhone in terms of revenues and profits. I think they're going to be a lot more careful about cannibalizing iPhone. Though I am interested to see what the future holds as it is a bit concerning that iPhone continues to be a larger and larger percentage of revenue/profits.

Apple has always and probably always will make most of it's profits selling computers.

The model name of the computer(Lisa, ][, Mac, iPod, iPhone, iPad, ?Watch) isn't the important thing.

• Reply 94 of 173
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Apple still needs to bump up the max capacity. We still don't have a replacement for the discontinued largest iPod Classic.
  • Reply 95 of 173

YES!!! Finally!

I just ordered an engraved 128GB iPodTouch in Blue. No more crappy 3rd Gen. Pink (was my wife's, and in a gray rubber case) 8gb nano with an iffy pause button.

*doing my happy Snoopy dance* 8-) 

• Reply 96 of 173
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The target audience for the touch are gamers and kids. You don't want junior buying thousands of dollars of games or other stuff off the web.

Agreed. Apple made the right decision here. And putting Touch ID on it, would've placed it into a completely different and higher price category. Apple knows what they're doing.

• Reply 97 of 173
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Why don't you try a mom joke next? :rolleyes:

Block list, meet Johnny.

Yo mama so ugly, they changed Halloween to YoMamaween!

• Reply 98 of 173
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    pmz wrote: »
    You do understand that the reason the Apple Watch requires iPhone and is not a standalone product is the same reason why it will not ever be used with an iPod touch, right?
    Nope. Don't believe that for a minute. It's a dual core 1GHz Wrist Computer. Only tethering to iPhones is the temporary opening limited capability that could and should be lifted with watchOS 2 and iOS 9. I doubt Apple engineering and marketing haven't known that long ago. Even I can see that and I'm a dummy.????????????
  • Reply 99 of 173
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Trubador View Post

YES!!! Finally!

I just ordered an engraved 128GB iPodTouch in Blue. No more crappy 3rd Gen. Pink (was my wife's, and in a gray rubber case) 8gb nano with an iffy pause button.

*doing my happy Snoopy dance* 8-) 

I have a purple fourth gen Nano I got from my sister. I feel you. ;)

• Reply 100 of 173
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member

Color me pleasantly surprised by the A8! Very curious to see how this benchmarks versus the other A8 devices. With the 4" screen and lower resolution, the iPod touch has fewer millstones to drag on its performance.

Planned to get a pink one for my wife (she still refuses to get a smartphone, but carries a 3G iPod touch everywhere). But, then I saw the system requirements ... first iOS device that DOES NOT support Snow Leopard! Sign of things to come. Decision time now on whether I want to proceed with upgrading to OS X Lion in order to ensure compatibility with this and future iOS devices. Or if I want to stand pat with Snow Leopard and wait on a future Mac purchase before pulling the trigger on any new iOS devices.