Google, US government launch plan to bring Fiber service to public housing

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2015
Google is partnering with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to bring its Fiber Internet service to public and affordable housing projects, the company announced on Wednesday.

The plan falls under the ConnectHome initiative organized by HUD and the White House, which is looking to get Internet access to more families and schoolkids in projects spread across 27 communities. Google's efforts will initially be limited to locations in Atlanta, Durham, Nashville, and Kansas City, but the ultimate aim is to cover every Fiber market.

Beyond supplying zero-cost Internet, the partnership will create labs for computer skills training.

Google said the rollout is based on success with a program in one of the first Fiber markets, Austin, where it collaborated with the city's Housing Authority and various local and national organizations on both free connections and digital training.

Fiber is normally available under three pricing tiers. A basic 5 megabits-per-second option is free after a $300 installation. Moving up to gigabit speeds drops the installation fee, but costs $70 per month with a one-year contract. A bundle of gigabit Internet and 150-plus TV channels costs $130 per month.

For Google, both the paid and pro bono versions of Fiber are a way of boosting its core businesses. By knocking down speed and access barriers, more people are exposed to the company's advertising and general product lineup.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    More corporatism and favoritism disguised as serving "the public good"... How much more in new taxes will this cost? Even "free lunches" cost someone something.
  • Reply 2 of 63
    Hm. Google Fiber - Good For You, Better For Us.
  • Reply 3 of 63
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

More corporatism and favoritism disguised as serving "the public good"... How much more in new taxes will this cost? Even "free lunches" cost someone something.

The NSA will enjoy getting more data where they previously didn't, and Googs gets to shove more ads down people's throats. 

HUD is another agency that needs to be eliminated.

• Reply 4 of 63
    jmncljmncl Posts: 42member

Nothing like preying on those who don't know, can't afford or simple don't have a choice.

I hear those "Poor credit? Get a card" and dodgy pharmacy ads  pay really well. 

• Reply 5 of 63
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Because that's what people in government subsizied public housing need most...high speed internet. Oy vey,
  • Reply 6 of 63

Guys, get a grip on your stupid, rampant cynicism.

It's become so frickin' tiresome.

• Reply 7 of 63
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Well done Google, now no one will have lag while playing C.O.D.  :rolleyes: 

• Reply 8 of 63
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    So Googs and the govt can share spying info. Efficient.
  • Reply 9 of 63
    [COLOR=blue][SIZE=4]Once again Google skates to where the money isn't...![/SIZE][/COLOR]
  • Reply 10 of 63

Most of these cities already have 4-5 internet carriers already. From the ILEC and numerous CLECs, to municipal providers, to cable carriers, to cellular.. It would be beneficial for Google to start where there is no competition, instead of the NFL cities. 

• Reply 11 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Besides, can I help it if my favorite fictional character is Leonard McCoy?

• Reply 12 of 63

If you're not cynical, you're not paying attention.
  • Reply 13 of 63
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Once again Google skates to where the money isn't...!
    It doesn't always have to be "how much money is in it for me" does it? Sometimes it's just the right thing to do.
  • Reply 14 of 63
    gatorguy wrote: »
    It doesn't always have to be "how much money is in it for me" does it? Sometimes it's just the right thing to do.

Are you serious? It's ALWAYS about money. Businesses don't run on fairy dust.
  • Reply 15 of 63
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Yup. And collecting user data is the right thing to do. Oh wait.
  • Reply 16 of 63
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Are you serious? It's ALWAYS about money. Businesses don't run on fairy dust.
    Apple has been know to make a few donations of product and /or services. Microsoft has an active charitable program. Google's outreach programs are well documented. You really think that Google is building out a fiber network in Kampala, Uganda because that's where the money is? There's lots of places Google could get a better return on a fiber network investment, don't you think?

No it's not always about the money.
  • Reply 17 of 63
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    I guess getting 5 megabits for free is better than paying for it, but that is about all. How about 50 megabits for free and then pay for gigabit service. I have always wondered when they turn up the dial on your speed from free to pay, how does the cost of delivery go up?
  • Reply 18 of 63
    Apple has been know to make a few donations of product and /or services. Microsoft has an active charitable program. Google's outreach programs are well documented. You really think that Google is building out a fiber network in Kampala, Uganda because that's where the money is? There's lots of places Google could get a better return on a fiber network investment, don't you think?

No it's not always about the money.

I'm sorry, but that's incorrect. There are risk-reward scenarios for every decision made. Google may lay fiber or create Internet access in Africa because it is a rapidly growing economy right now, it's easy to get in on the ground floor and represents future customers (incidentally, China has poured billions into developing infrastructure there to support their ongoing needs for cheap labor, as their own labor costs continue to rise).

2013 article: http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-subclass-cnt.aspx?id=20131122000004&cid=1202

This is new, fast growing business for Google.
  • Reply 19 of 63
    longpathlongpath Posts: 393member

Oh look! Another corporate welfare whore, just like Lockheed.... <s> nice going Google! </s>

• Reply 20 of 63

If you're not cynical, you're not paying attention.

Oh, I am paying plenty of attention. More than most of you, and untainted by the third-rate politics that seems to drive a lot of the socio-political and socio-economic drivel that I see on these forums (including, sadly, yours from time to time).

In fact, I wish I could switch off more.