Google, US government launch plan to bring Fiber service to public housing

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    Once again Google skates to where the money isn't...!

What an incredibly stupid post.

Google makes gobs of money.
  • Reply 22 of 63
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Oh, I am paying plenty of attention. More than most of you, and untainted by the third-rate politics that seems to drive a lot of the socio-political and socio-economic drivel that I see on these forums (including, sadly, yours from time to time).

In fact, I wish I could switch off more.

Perhaps you should familiarize yourself with the complete works of one Edward Snowden.
  • Reply 23 of 63
    Oh, I am paying plenty of attention. More than most of you, and untainted by the third-rate politics that seems to drive a lot of the socio-political and socio-economic drivel that I see on these forums (including, sadly, yours from time to time).

In fact, I wish I could switch off more.

Perhaps you should familiarize yourself with the complete works of one Edward Snowden.

I am likely more familiar than you are with the complete works of one Edward Snowden. I also happen to be -- largely, not entirely -- on his side, as you're probably aware. That's not because of my politics, but rather, my fundamental belief in the constitutional right to privacy.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    Right, because the poor need Gigabit to waste their time and watch video streaming all day instead of finding a job! *Rolls Eyes*
  • Reply 25 of 63
    I am likely more familiar than you are with the complete works of one Edward Snowden. I also happen to be -- largely, not entirely -- on his side, as you're probably aware. That's not because of my politics, but rather, my fundamental belief in the constitutional right to privacy.

Then you should be far, far more cynical of decisions disguised as "serving the public" that have far reaching taxation, conflict of interest and privacy repercussions.
  • Reply 26 of 63
    cashxxcashxx Posts: 114member

Hey more free services my takes dollars are paying for these deadbeats!

• Reply 27 of 63
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Yeah, because market solutions work SOOOOO well for absolutely everything. Must explain why we lag behind the rest of the developed world.

• Reply 28 of 63

Like I really want to be slammed with ads, and have my information data-mined.... F#$k that noise!

Waitaminute......... D'oh!

• Reply 29 of 63
    future manfuture man Posts: 108member
    While I do concur that the Internet access has become a vital and necessary device as per the telephone and that 'basic' access needs to extended to everyone like PBS currently is, I do not as a tax payer expeect that high speed, state-of-the-art access be given to the improvished while others (taxpayers) are neither getting these speeds or low/free rates.
  • Reply 30 of 63
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Right, because the poor need Gigabit to waste their time and watch video streaming all day instead of finding a job! *Rolls Eyes*

Would you be essentially saying "they're poor they don't deserve internet"? I get it. It they don't want to be poor they should just decide to be rich.

"The web is where we go to connect with people, learn new subjects, and find opportunities for personal and economic growth. But not everyone benefits from all the web has to offer. As many as 26% of households earning less than $30,000 per year don’t access the Internet, compared to just 3% of adults with annual incomes over $75,000. Google Fiber is working to change that. Today, in all of our Google Fiber markets, we’re launching a program to connect residents in select public and affordable housing properties for $0/month with no installation fee."

"We realize, though, that providing an Internet connection is just one piece of the puzzle. People can only take advantage of the many benefits of the web when they understand why it matters and know how to use it. That’s why we’ll also partner with ConnectHome and local community groups to develop basic computer skills training and create computer labs to host these trainings in each of our Fiber markets"

"HACA residents have embraced this program. At Manchaca Village, the first public housing property we engaged, over 90% of residents signed up for service, and more than half of the residents completed digital literacy training. With support from local organizations and city leaders, we hope to see this same kind of success across the country."

Note that Google is only contributing in the communities where they already offer some fiber networking. In the rest (there's a total of 27 communities that qualified for the HUD program) other internet providers will be asked to step up to the plate.
  • Reply 31 of 63
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Then you should be far, far more cynical of decisions disguised as "serving the public" that have far reaching taxation, conflict of interest and privacy repercussions.

Hmm... Can you (or one of the two guys that upvoted you) tell me what the taxation and conflict of interest implications are? And the privacy repercussions that would be any more onerous than they currently are?
  • Reply 32 of 63
    pigybankpigybank Posts: 178member
    Public housing? That's nice. I live in a wealthy suburb of Seattle, one of the biggest tech cities on the planet and I can't freakin' get FIOS. Glad to know my taxes are going to buy it for people who don't pay any.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Guys, get a grip on your stupid, rampant cynicism.

It's become so frickin' tiresome.

What? People are cynical about a company that grabs every single bit of personal electronic data they can about you, and stores it in their massive data centers, and gives it to the U.S. government upon request? Why would there be cynicism about that?
  • Reply 34 of 63
    markbritonmarkbriton Posts: 123member
    Google are constructing pipes to suck personal data from every home in America.
  • Reply 35 of 63
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Wow, they get fiber and I can't even get cable 100' up the road to my house because I am "outside the franchise area".

• Reply 36 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Yeah, because market solutions work SOOOOO well for absolutely everything. Must explain why we lag behind the rest of the developed world.

"Lag behind"? If "lagging" means more freedom and protection of our constitutionally guaranteed rights, I'm all in favor of "lagging". We have a republic, not a monarchy, not a democracy.

• Reply 37 of 63
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    [QUOTE name="Gatorguy" url="/t/187221/google-us-government-launch-plan-to-bring-fiber-service-to-public-housing#post_2748582"]
    Would you be essentially saying "they're poor they don't deserve internet"? I get it. It they don't want to be poor they should just decide to be rich.

[/QUOTE]

There are libraries which have free internet.  That's where I use to go back in the 90's before I had the money to afford a computer and internet service.
  • Reply 38 of 63
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    freerange wrote: »

What? People are cynical about a company that grabs every single bit of personal electronic data they can about you, and stores it in their massive data centers, and gives it to the U.S. government upon request? Why would there be cynicism about that?

Oh, give me a break. This is probably no better or worse than what you implicitly sign on to if you got yourself a Gmail account. If people want something for free, they're going to have to give up something. Is it any different for anyone or anywhere else?

Moreover, given the likely demographic that this is serving, are you even remotely suggesting there's money in it for Google? You can't be serious.
  • Reply 39 of 63
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GQB View Post

That's because what we have now is Government created Monopolies!!!  You let me know when we have Comcast, TWC and others in the SAME town offering services and competing against each other.  We don't have that!!!

• Reply 40 of 63
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member

Anyone has FREE access to the public library that the taxpayers already pay for.  Where you can get your FREE Books, Free DVD Movies, Free Computer Access with FREE Internet service.  Along with any number of other FREE things!!!  What's next, we the taxpayers have to pay for their FREE Home computers to use that internet service?   All this free crap is just Government stealing from one group to then give it away to another group.    Worse is all the fraud that's happening.  They don't care, it's not their money, it's the taxpayers and just more where that came from!!!