Ship times for all non-Edition Apple Watch models improve to one day in US

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited July 2015
Following severely constrained supply at launch, Apple has gradually built up Apple Watch stock for online and in-store sales, and is now showing ship times of one business day for all aluminum Sport and regular stainless steel models.

A quick check with Apple's U.S. online storefront shows all non-Edition Watch models available for one-day shipping, even previously "rare" versions like the diamond-like carbon (DLC) coated Space Black stainless steel iteration. International availability is also improving, though certain countries like the UK and China are still seeing ship times of three to five days for popular combinations, such as the 42mm Apple Watch with Milanese loop.

Domestic shipping times have slowly improved since Watch first went up for preorder in April. Just minutes after sales started online, stock on hand was exhausted, sending ship-by estimates above one month in many cases. June saw availability improve, especially for aluminum Sport versions, as Watch prepared to debut in brick-and-mortar Apple Stores.

Apple still seems to be facing supply constraints for solid gold Apple Watch Edition models, however, as the Online Apple Store shows all hardware configurations backordered. Depending on gold color and band type, Edition shipping times fall between three to five days and five to seven days in the U.S.

Apple's first wearable device made headlines last week when multiple media outlets pounced on statistics supposedly showing a precipitous drop in sales since the device launched. Reports cited a study from Slice Intelligence, which noted a 90-percent decline citing data from a sampling of e-shoppers. Media interpretations incorrectly assigned the study's numbers to Apple Watch sales across all channels, not just online purchases.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Not sure if this is good or bad.
  • Reply 2 of 49
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

haha, my thoughts exactly

• Reply 3 of 49
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

It’s always bad either way. If the supply is constrained then Apple is bashed for being incompetent in estimating demand or is accused of intentionally limiting supply to increase the hype as a marketing ploy, or is accused of having production problems with defective units. Once the supply catches up with demand the doomsday scenarios come to the front and the hand wringing starts. So, you see, no matter what, it’s bad for Apple because, well, it’s just bad because it’s Apple. They can’t win in the blog universe and the first two posts prove it.

• Reply 4 of 49
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Apple can't win, eh? 

• Reply 5 of 49
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Let's see. They have outsold the entire 2014 global smartwatch sales at least 2-3 times in the US alone in three months at an ASP being 3-4 times higher.

The answer is clear. This is bad.
  • Reply 6 of 49
    tomhqtomhq Posts: 22member
    This was bound to happen, the preorder started a little over 3 months ago after all. But then again with the SI data still fresh in people's mind, it's hard not to correlate the two. Guess we will find out in the next earning 3 months from now.
  • Reply 7 of 49
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    What I find interesting about this is if shipping is delayed the haters say it's because Apple is purposely constraining supply to create demand. Yet if there is no delay its because the product is a flop that nobody wants. Basically heads I win tails you lose.
  • Reply 8 of 49
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    eightzero wrote: »

An iPhone 6 ships in 1-2 business days. Is that bad? I would think it's a good thing if supply and demand are closer to being in balance.
  • Reply 9 of 49

mac_128 wrote: »

We have little doubt in these boards as to what you two geniuses think.
  • Reply 10 of 49
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member

The only valid fact of the matter is that the Apple Watch is a great new Apple product, one which puts Apple into new markets, one which demanded unique logistical solutions, not all of which bowed to the release schedule.

I got my Sport 42 just at the end of the "constrained" period, and I didn't mind the wait at all, as my wife had tentatively intended to get me one for Christmas. But then Fathers Day rolled around which caught her in a good mood, so. . .

The watch is not for everyone, but on the other hand, it's for a broad range of people with varying needs and interests.

For me, I love the notifications and the phone calling/answering functions. Though my iPhone 6+ does fit easily into my Wranglers front pocket while yet letting me sit down in comfort, it's a bit of a chore to haul it out to see who's calling. The watch solves that nicely by vibrating and by displaying the caller's name.

I can also answer a call without hauling out my phone. Very nice.

I also like the "Modular" clock face with its customizable complications. I use the timer a lot, and I like to see the current temperature at a glance.

The heart rate app seems to give accurate reads, as I've checked it against the sensor on the treadmills at the gym, and they're only a couple beats off of each other.

The other big plus is Apple Pay. The watch app on the phone lets you load your cards, and a double taps on the lower button brings them up for holding against the terminal. It works great, and it's very reassuring to know that I'll soon not have to cary any cards, and that no cc data is being transmitted.

Let the trolls and minions moan and snarl. Apple's got yet another hit on its hands, and the Apple Watches will soon be ubiquitous.

• Reply 11 of 49
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    I really don't see the need for wrist notification when my iPhone is in my pocket. I've talked to a lot of people who agree, ie think its ridiculous
  • Reply 12 of 49
    I believe it is a good thing signaling a build up of supply. Early adopters and the media have their watches, and now with in store stock, "geniuses" can sell them sans extensive wait time. But I am skeptical of the time description on the Apple Store website anyway because I ordered my 42mm Space gray a few weeks ago and was quoted a 1-2 week delivery and it was on my wrist in 2 days
  • Reply 13 of 49
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    dougd wrote: »
    I really don't see the need for wrist notification when my iPhone is in my pocket. I've talked to a lot of people who agree, ie think its ridiculous

I talked to many people and they all agree "Doug" is a pointless name.
  • Reply 14 of 49
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Quote:

It's good. Demand on $10k Edition series is so strong that Apple can't keep up.

• Reply 15 of 49
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

When I bought the first iPhone people used to wonder "why do you need a web browser and apps on your phone?!" Now they all own iPhones.
  • Reply 16 of 49
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member

What I want to know is whether they have repair stock in stores yet.

• Reply 17 of 49
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Look like Sog is really short of Apple Watch on 15 million units by year end.
  • Reply 18 of 49
    rogifan wrote: »
    An iPhone 6 ships in 1-2 business days. Is that bad? I would think it's a good thing if supply and demand are closer to being in balance.

DOOOOOOOOM. That is all.
  • Reply 19 of 49

Do these anecdotal "lot of people" need to see notifications on the Edge of their phone?
  • Reply 20 of 49
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Look like Sog is really short of Apple Watch on 15 million units by year end.

It could happen.

Who knows what a half a year and a Holiday season will do.

Sadly... Apple may never publish sales number for the watch... so we might never actually know for sure.