Product announcements

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
OK, I have been looking at several web sites putting together my estimate for when products are going to be announced over the next few year (yep years) and so here is my initial estimate on when Apple will introduce changes or new products.

March 2002 - PowerMac G4 revision to 1Ghz (ok so this already happened)

July 2002 - PowerBook processor upgrade, iMac processor revission, iBook processor revision, and New Design and Big Processor jump for PowerMac (G5)

January 2003 - iBook to G4 chip

July 2003 - PowerBook Redesign possibly making the G5 chip available in the Laptop

July 2005 - The iMac will be redesigned again

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Wonder what the next design direction for the iBook will be?

I would expect a restyle to go with the G4.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Powerbooks are usually updated in March.

PowerMacs/iMacs are usually updated in January.

New Macs (any type) are normally MWNY.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    [quote]Originally posted by Blackcat:

<strong>Powerbooks are usually updated in March.

PowerMacs/iMacs are usually updated in January.

New Macs (any type) are normally MWNY.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Um...

Original iMac announced at press event May 1998

Five color iMacs announced MWSF January 1999

iMac DV announced MWNY July 2000

iMac CDRW announced MW Tokyo February 2001

iMac G4 announced MWSF January 2002

Original iBook announced MWNY July 1999

FireWire iBook announced Apple Expo Paris September 2000

Dual USB iBook announced press event May 2001

Original PowerBook G4 announced MWSF January 2001

Faster PowerBook G4 announced press event October 2001

Combo drive PowerBook G4 announced press release December 2001

Original Power Macintosh G4 announced Seybold August 1999

SuperDrive Power Macintosh G4 announced MWSF January 2001

Faster Power Macintosh G4 announced MWNY July 2001

Even faster Power Macintosh G4 announced press release January 2002

I honestly don't see any pattern here, except perhaps in the time between product line updates.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    bothetomato, i don't think the ibook gets a redesign that soon. I'm really not sure about the G5 in July. Would be better possible for January 2003 imo.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Belle,

The iMac DVs came out in October, 1999. July, 2000 is when the colors changed to Indigo, Sage, etc.

Even then, I don't see a pattern, either.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by scottiB:

<strong>Belle,

The iMac DVs came out in October, 1999. July, 2000 is when the colors changed to Indigo, Sage, etc.

Even then, I don't see a pattern, either. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Ah, my mistake. The memory begins to go a bit when you get to my age, you know.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    I think that besides the Powermac (which doesnt rely on design of case) the iBook is in need of a cosmetic revision the most. It needs to be a bit lighter and thinner. I would expect to see that kind of update at MWNY 02.

Wherther or not it gets a G4 at MWNY02 is anyones guess.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    iBook lighter and thinner? Well, I suppose it should be half its current price too? Revisions are always nice, but that little iBook blew away the resolution on the PowerBook G4 and convinced me to stick with my high-end G3 Pismo rather than go for the Ti. If they revise in March, I will spring, if not...

I could not see the iBook 14 over the 12.1 with my set-up. I only got one when I was in Japan last summer because I loved the size and finish and I needed a purely Japanese mac to keep my software from continually colliding. The resolution is so good I am tempted about once a day to click that order button, but I have beaten off the desire at least 'til March. I think...
  • Reply 8 of 20
    I don't know what you guys have against the iBook. I think they're still kickin as far as the form factor is concerned. I think they still look REALLY cool. Under five pounds? Good enough for me. For a no compromise portable that is awesome. WHATEVER Apple does they should never, ever, EVER, EVER, EVER adopt the external drives strategy in their portables. I think its absolutely stupid to have to carry around an external optical drive. Its another thing to lose, and another thing that can fall off the table and take your computer with it.

As far as thinner is concerned, why? Thinness for the sake of thinness has no point. For what REAL purpose do you need it thinner? It will fit in just about an carrying apparatus you have and if you get a lot thinner you have to start worrying about the overall structural strength of it (why the TiBook is titanium).
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Powerbook rev in March

iBook rev in July

I'm looking for 667/800 PB's (133 bus on both) and 700 MHz iBooks (100 bus across the line).

- Rupert
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Another thing on the size issue. I compare it alot to the shrinking of cell phones. My friend has this really "great" little light one. Two problems, he dropped it all the time cause he couldn't hold on to it. Secondly, it was so light every time you bumped it when it was sitting on the table it was apt to going flying across the table on to the floor.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    I will be surprised if the Titanium doesn't get a higher resolution display soon. Looking at the Titanium and 12.1 iBook side by side, the iBook's display is much better than the Titanium's.

I think the Ti should have at least as many pixels/cm as the iBook, if not more. And OS X is great at high resolution so there is no reason not to boost the res.

So, for an "official" prediction:

MWNY at the latest: New Titanium design.

New hires display, possibly larger size display but doubtful.

133 MHz bus mobo in both models.

667, 800 MHz G4

Faster GPU with 32 MB vRAM (ddr)

iBook: No new revisions until after MWNY.

iMac: no new revisions until after MWNY.

Possibly a new 17" LCD iMac model announced at MWNY.

Powermac: new powermacs at MWNY, either 1.2-1.3 GHz Powermac G4s on the current mobo, or entirely new Powermac G5s at up to 1.4-1.6 GHz.

MWNY: New iPod model with 10 GB HD and more features.

10.2 will be out by March, and we will finally have a new Quartz that is accelerated by GPUs as far back as the OEM Radeon (but not lower end cards, which will probably incite a riot among disgruntled bondi blue iMac users who expect OS X to scream on their 1st revision iMacs).

iTunes update by MWNY that addresses the problem of it's heavy CPU use, and also a fix for the skipping in iTunes.

Updates to iMovie, iDVD.

All in all, this will be a great year for Apple...the best year they've had in ages, maybe even the best year since Jobs' return to Apple. Apple's market share will increase this year (yes, I said "increase").
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Belle, do you have the same date information layout for Apple's Display line?

I'm curious if the life of the display line is typically significantly longer than the rest of the products.

Any other guesses as to when we might see new displays?

Do you think the new GeForce 4 MX may facilitate new hi-res screens?

How long do you think my pants will perform this Irish Jig in my front lawn?

-------------

RosettaStoned
  • Reply 14 of 20
    tarbashtarbash Posts: 278member
    I think a lot of what people are saying may come sooner than we think. Macworld Tokyo could be a good venue for a PowerBook refresh. I'd say 667 and 800 MHz 7445s, higher res screens (finally!), larger HDs, external changes to the case, such as a new hinge design (think an iBook hinge, but smaller and there's two of them where the current TiBook hinges are now) The TiBook has been out for over a year now with no major changes except speedbumps and bus increases, (OK, and a new graphics chipset) and I see no reason why MWT wouldn't be a great venue to show it off. I bet it will be lighter as well, but same thickness. It's pretty obvious that the TiBook Oct. update was a just a stopgap for something bigger, and I think we're going to finally see it.

I also think we'll see iMovie 3 and OS X 10.2 at MWT or soon thereafter.

iBooks probably won't get refreshed until MWNY or later. (They're selling so well, this is not first priority for Apple) As for iMacs, I think a MWNY speedbump to 800 (100 MHz bus), 933, and 1 GHz (both 133 MHz bus) could be expected at the same pricepoints.

The PowerMac line, well, as many of you know I'm a strong advocate for the G5, and I believe we will see it at a Special Event in April, or at MWNY. 1 GHz, 1.2 GHz, 1.4 GHz, Dual 1.4 GHz BTO. (or Dual 1.2 if 1.4 supply is low)

Later in the year I also expect to see some kickass software from Apple, possibly building on the aquisition of Nothing Real, as well as new stuff that just blows our socks off.

This is really gonna be a big year. I think it will be Apple's biggest year ever. (I've never been confident enough to honestly say that) With iMac and iBook (and iPod!) sales going through the roof, Apple's retail presence expanding simultaneusly attracting new users, the advent of the PowerMac G5 that will finally decimate AMD/Intel machines in performance, the long awaited maturity of OS X into a speed demon/full fledged OS in addition to wide availability of native apps, plus any other surprises Apple has, this will be a year to remember.

OK, I'm done now.

[ 02-09-2002: Message edited by: Tarbash ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 20
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    [quote]Tarbash

"and I believe we will see it[G5] at a Special Event in April, or at MWNY."

"it will be Apple's biggest year ever."

"G5 that will finally decimate AMD/Intel machines in performance"<hr></blockquote>

A very refreshing bit of opitmism. I hope your right.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    They could "rev" the iBooks without doing much. A boost from 500/600 to 600/700 wouldn't be too difficult (probably just a jumper and a firmware update), but I'd doubt they'd sell a $1500 700Mhz iBook at the same time as a $3000 667Mhz TiBook. (That is, the ibook won't be updated before the TiBook.)

I wouldn't be suprised to see another rev like the silent one we got in October at some point.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by RosettaStoned:

<strong>Belle, do you have the same date information layout for Apple's Display line?

I'm curious if the life of the display line is typically significantly longer than the rest of the products.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not off the top of my head (which, incidently, is where I got the information above and why, not uncoincidently, it wasn't entirely accurate).

It shouldn't be too hard to dig out the dates, though, I'll go looking.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    [quote] I'd doubt they'd sell a $1500 700Mhz iBook at the same time as a $3000 667Mhz TiBook. (That is, the ibook won't be updated before the TiBook.) <hr></blockquote>

- Bozo the Clown

Let's not forget what happened in january . iMacs over the pMacs. If they do do it, it'll be a good sign of whats to come for the Tis.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    At least on the topic of Powermacs, I would not be suprised to see 700 and 800 Powerbooks in thenear future. The new iMac is so small, that I think they *COULD* possibly be sharing the processor line. But, that brings another question to me... Why are the speeds so close on their consumer and pro lines? So MAYBE just MAYBE this summer they could unveil the G5 standard on the Powermacs and Powerbooks? I am highly doubtful on this, but it would indeed be awesome.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by: KAMMAC

<strong>July 2002 - PowerBook processor upgrade, iMac processor revission, iBook processor revision, and New Design and Big Processor jump for PowerMac (G5)

January 2003 - iBook to G4 chip

July 2003 - PowerBook Redesign possibly making the G5 chip available in the Laptop</strong><hr></blockquote>As I see it, there is a strategy based on G5 availability, and an interim, pre-G5 strategy in place.

G5 strategy is straightforward: get G5 in PowerMac, then PowerBook; replace G3 w/ G4 across the board; get everything above 1gHz; drive on toward G6 & next redesign phase.

The interim strategy has to work around, yet set up for, the G5: increase speeds by every means (short of the coming re-design), including MP & fab tweaks; PowerBook to 1gHz; get everything to or above 1gHz, replacing G3 w/ G4 when possible; get G5 in PowerMac, then PowerBook.

I think iMac will get a fresher CPU MWNY-ish; I'd like to say it will go 1g, but I only see that as a sure thing if we get G5 in the same time frame. If no G5, I expect we'll see 933/867/800.

1gHz+, and G3 replacement, are pretty much equivalent: G4 (AltiVec) is intended for all levels in every line, so I think your timing's good here for the G4 iBook (tho I'm thinking MWT'03, due to the nature of the show). Honestly, it doesn't seem to me that we're likely to see 1gHz G3s. 'S like the G3 has become the 68000 of the PPC line: widely used, but not really much of a CPU anymore.

...and I've had my say on G5 elsewhere, but to summarise (and update):

I think AAPL is ahead of schedule w/ G5; I think they're making a major effort to have G5 releasable (maybe w/ 10.2 (what might be considered 10.3)) before they end FY'02 in September. If they have G5 on the street by then, expect to see major marketing of OS X, of G5, of the whole line (student deals, bundles for the "creative pro", TV, film placements, endorsements, interviews, usw). Otherwise, expect hysterical squawking about what's wrong w/ AAPL, and 100 reasons why SJ doesn't get it, and the interim strategy.

[quote]<strong>July 2005 - The iMac will be redesigned again</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think your timing's good on this one too, as I'd expect to see G6, a total refresh (similar to what we're in the middle of), including G5 to the i-lines, right around then.