Rovio's 'Angry Birds 2' to launch on Apple's iOS July 30

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2015
Finnish developer Rovio will launch its first official sequel to the ultra-popular "Angry Birds" game on July 30, debuting on mobile platforms including Apple's iOS.

The company hasn't revealed any other details about Angry Birds 2, except that it will be in "app stores worldwide." The basic Angry Birds concept revolves around the player firing birds artillery-style from a slingshot, trying to blow through obstacles and take revenge on hiding pigs. Each bird has unique qualities needed to solve different parts of a level.

The first Angry Birds was released in 2009, but since then Rovio has released numerous spinoffs, such as Angry Birds Seasons and Bad Piggies. Promotional tie-ins have included titles such as Angry Birds Transformers and two Star Wars games.

The company has become of the most financially successful mobile app developers of all time. On top of selling apps and in-app purchases across multiple platforms, Angry Birds merchandise is widespread, ranging from clothing and stuffed animals to toothbrushes and miniature real-world versions of the game.

More details about Angry Birds 2 will be released in the run-up to its launch date.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14

My reaction to this announcement:

Seriously, though, I haven't even installed one of these apps since 2013.

• Reply 2 of 14
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    Rovio seems a bit of a one-trick pony to me. There's what, 20 different versions of Angry Birds on the App Store? Maybe this one will be 3D or something
  • Reply 3 of 14
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member

Personally, I like these games. Great way to kill time but still requires a little bit of thought to play successfully. Definitely helps on a long flight.

• Reply 4 of 14
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Is AngryBirds even still a thing?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
  • Reply 6 of 14
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    elijahg wrote: »
    Rovio seems a bit of a one-trick pony to me. There's what, 20 different versions of Angry Birds on the App Store? Maybe this one will be 3D or something

A cocky one too. They're known to trash talk the game industry.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Meh.  I'll just keep on setting new high scores on my old Angry Birds games.

I think I have the Star Wars one.

• Reply 8 of 14
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    It's gotta be 3D. I can't see them just releasing a sequel as all their games are the same
  • Reply 9 of 14
    [COLOR=blue][SIZE=4][B]NOW [/B]we know why the iPod Touch was updated this week!!! [/SIZE][/COLOR]
  • Reply 10 of 14
    formosaformosa Posts: 261member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cali View Post

What about King trademarking the word "candy" in the US (and possibly in the EU) for their Candy Crush game? That's cocky.

• Reply 11 of 14

You guys aren't the target audience, my 5 year old is. Probably the same audience as the new iPod Touch. He is super excited and yes I have to pay for all that stuff even if it is the same game warmed over 20 times. That's the thing, there's a nonstop supply of 5 yr olds every year so yes, "it is still a thing".

• Reply 12 of 14
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Say what you will about Rovio, but from what I've seen their stuff is pretty high quality, including the Angry Birds off shoot games (racing, transformers, epic, etc). I was hooked on the Angry Birds RPG for a long time- and it was pretty damn good, especially for being free.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Rovio must have something up its sleeve for a #2 since the original has been played to death. I will give Rovio props for adding lots of content to the original Angry Bird apps!
  • Reply 14 of 14
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    formosa wrote: »
    cali wrote: »

What about King trademarking the word "candy" in the US (and possibly in the EU) for their Candy Crush game? That's cocky.

I don't think they were successful.