Apple, other big businesses eye Iranian market after nuclear deal, report says

Comments

• Reply 61 of 83
    The average Iranian citizen is peaceful and generally pro Western. They did facilitate a theocratic facist government that they now rue with only a moderate resistance to reinforced by their Shia faith. Not wholly innocent, but not inherently evil.

In the Middle East the real issue is Sunni vs Shia, with a Muslin against Jewish icing. Our involvement is seen as meddling in their local issues.

Historically the Sunnis have been dominant, but with a rising Iran the tables are turning. Additionally, the current borders were drawn without regard to the native populations faith adherence. And those adherences are often very localized and much smaller than the national lines on the map.

Large parts of the region are in a faith/ power scrimmage.

This will go on for years with or without our involvement.

That said, there are reasons to believe that letting Western influence trickle in will influence (via a so-called halo effect) an increasing liberalization in rights, freedoms and eventually cross-region interaction. This will take years, not require any identifiable political efforts, but should be all our hopes.

Can we now get back to talking about Apple?
  • Reply 62 of 83
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Twitter and a cheap Android would be more important to Iran than an iPhone.

What's your point, really? Or did you just realize you never had one in the first place so now just spouting random verbiage? Don't worry, the world won't end if the average Iranian gets easier access to buying iPhones. The sun will still rise in the morning, and you won't be any less safe. 

• Reply 63 of 83
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'm generally in favor of free trade and open markets, but what is happening with Iran is pure politics designed to benefit lame duck Obama and possibly also divert some heat and attention from Hillary.

How does it benefit Obama exactly?

• Reply 64 of 83
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

How does it benefit Obama exactly?

You're from the UK.

• Reply 65 of 83
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

I'm generally in favor of free trade and open markets, but what is happening with Iran is pure politics designed to benefit lame duck Obama and possibly also divert some heat and attention from Hillary.

Are you that petty, that you actually believe this Iran nuclear deal, which literally has been in the work for years and is pretty monumental, is "pure politics" and meant to "divert attention" from Hillary? I mean, are you for real? I get that your right-wingers need to come up with an ulterior motive for every single thing that Obama is a part of, as well as to make sure you don't give him a shred of credit for anything, and twisting everything into a negative light-  but stop embarrassing yourself. I'm PRETTY sure there's easier ways to "divert attention" from someone beyond a massive, complex nuclear deal which has been in the works for ages.

Grow up.

• Reply 66 of 83
    Quote:

You're from the UK.

A good point, well made.  Wait, what?

• Reply 67 of 83
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Are you that petty, that you actually believe this Iran nuclear deal, which literally has been in the work for years and is pretty monumental, is "pure politics" and meant to "divert attention" from Hillary? I mean, are you for real? I get that your right-wingers need to come up with an ulterior motive for every single thing that Obama is a part of, as well as to make sure you don't give him a shred of credit for anything, and twisting everything into a negative light-  but stop embarrassing yourself. I'm PRETTY sure there's easier ways to "divert attention" from someone beyond a massive, complex nuclear deal which has been in the works for ages.

Grow up.

Not a right-winger. See this quiz and find out where you fall on the chart:   http://www.theadvocates.org/quiz/quiz.php

• Reply 68 of 83
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    There goes my side business...
  • Reply 69 of 83
    nightskynightsky Posts: 43member
    I hope Iran gets an Apple Store soon along with the lifting of all sanctions so they can import Apple products. Many people around the world would like to see the destruction of Israel (myself included) so lets not continue to single out one country. By bringing Iran back into the world community hopefully the next generation will see the west a friend not an enemy.

I bet Obama was laughing tonight at the thought of that irritating little weasel Netanyahu getting the finger from the US for once. Serves him right for trying the lecture the President on his previous visits. Screw you Netanyahu.
  • Reply 70 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Of course Apple and other companies are looking into getting their products into Iran. Who cares about human rights when there are products to be sold and profits to be made!

Apple already sells its products into many countries with poor human rights so Iran is no different.

• Reply 71 of 83

This thread proves that anti-Semitism is sadly still strong.  

Unless you are Shiite, if you think Iran can be your friend, I would hate to see your enemy.  

• Reply 72 of 83
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by flippysc View Post

This thread proves that anti-Semitism is sadly still strong.   

How? Could you provide examples of anti-Semitism in this thread, please?

• Reply 73 of 83

I'm guessing he's referring to this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post

Many people around the world would like to see the destruction of Israel (myself included) 

I think it's a bit stretching to say that anyone supporting a reconciliatory deal with Iran is to do with anti-semitism though.

• Reply 74 of 83
    ferdchetferdchet Posts: 38member

Yeah, Apple won't allow travel to Indiana due to a new law that 27 other states already had, but they will open stores and sell to a country that buries gay people up to their heads and has people stone them (not California-style stoned, but 4th century stoned).  Not to mention hanging, etc.  

I'm starting to think Tim Cook's advocacy is both cowardly and opportunistic.

• Reply 75 of 83

Yeah that makes it right - they are already doing it!

Also, they only pipe up for social justice when there's no opposition.  Tim's not joining any pride parades in Apple-selling locations like Saudi Arabia any time soon.  So brave.

• Reply 76 of 83

I like the name calling, Slurpy.  Anyone who automatically disagrees with Obama must be a "right-winger" and/or a "racist" (courtesy of your statist bootlicking friend Bill Maher).  Saul would be proud.

And then when a CBS reporter has the audacity, yes, the sheer audacity (!), to ask why the release of American hostages wasn't on the table (and yet Iran kept adding new stuff on the table until the last minute) it was just terrible!  

And "Years"?  Really?  This wasn't put in place over years.  Like everything else put together by your betters in DC of either party, it was cobbled together quickly, to provide the most benefit to the fewest people - primarily those with the best lobbyists, and without regard to unintended consequences.  Because those people won't be the ones taking it in the shorts later.  But you will, Slurpy, and you'll thank them for it.

• Reply 77 of 83

Says someone who benefited from those two atomic weapons and other American arms.  You should assuage your guilt by heading to Iran and bringing your message of peace and tolerance to them.

• Reply 78 of 83

It's funny how folks like you are OK with Apple not doing business with places like Indiana, but not Iran.  Because Iran gets no tax revenue to keep the religious police running when they collect sales tax on Apple products.  Or corporate taxes, etc.  The cognitive dissonance is astounding.

• Reply 79 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ferdchet View Post

I'm starting to think Tim Cook's advocacy is both cowardly and opportunistic.

Opportune advocacy changes things.  Inopportune advocacy just wastes words.

• Reply 80 of 83
    crowley wrote: »
    I'm guessing he's referring to this.

I think it's a bit stretching to say that anyone supporting a reconciliatory deal with Iran is to do with anti-semitism though.

I'm not anti-Semitic, just anti-Israel because of their brutal suppression of the Palestinian people over many years.

It's lazy and ignorant to play the race card with people who voice an alternative viewpoint.