New TV ads for Apple Watch focus on tourism, fitness, parenthood

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited July 2015
Apple on Thursday debuted four new TV ads for the Apple Watch on its official YouTube channel, continuing a strategy of depicting the device in realistic scenarios.

Two of the ads, "Berlin" and "Beijing," try a tourism angle and depict two pairs of women visiting the cities for the first time. The Watch is used for tasks like finding attractions and getting directions, and in the Beijing clip, one woman uses Digital Touch to escape talking to a man at a nightclub.

In "Closer," the Watch is used by parents and kids to communicate and in one instance play a game of tic-tac-toe. The final ad, "Goals," shows people participating in a number of fitness activities like running, yoga, martial arts, and strength exercises.

The Watch can track heart rate, steps, and standing time, mixing it with GPS data from an iPhone to calculate figures like distance traveled and calories burned.

The use of lifestyle branding has been a recurring theme of Watch ads since the device launched in April. Indeed Apple's TV advertising in general is now increasingly concentrated on "real-world" situations, whereas the company used to promote features on their own.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    This is probably a good thing since I, for one, still see no reason for owning one of these...if people can see why they should wear a watch again after learning not to wear watches for the last 8 years maybe they'll sell a few more...
  • Reply 2 of 66
    gremlingremlin Posts: 64member
    That's the way to do it :)
  • Reply 3 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RonAnnArbor View Post

This is probably a good thing since I, for one, still see no reason for owning one of these...if people can see why they should wear a watch again after learning not to wear watches for the last 8 years maybe they'll sell a few more...

I think you miss the point of the watch.  It does more than just tell time.  You sound like the guy that said, "I don't get why anyone would want a phone without buttons!  What a waste."  Should we got off your lawn next?  LOL

• Reply 4 of 66

I have the Apple Watch.  I love my Apple Watch.  The fitness, travel, and financial functionality are what wins for me.  But honestly, these ads for the watch, and Apple in general lately, are well, dull.  The last real eye catching Apple Ad was "Stickers" for the Macbook Air, it caught your attention.  These ads might as well be for life insurance.  

• Reply 5 of 66
    ahx1ahx1 Posts: 6member

shouldn't matter.

• Reply 6 of 66
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

why even bother commenting

To make himself feel important. Welcome to the Internet.

• Reply 7 of 66
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member

Even after owning a Watch for a few months, there has been a lot of discovery of what it can do - especially when iPhone apps are updated to support the Watch with proper use of it's screen and notifications.  Ads like this help me see yet another way I can use it.

Guess I won't be writing a "Why I Returned My Watch" article anytime soon, even though my website could use the clickbait.

• Reply 8 of 66
    The last "Goals" video: Whats funny is I was 3 minutes away from hitting my exercise goal, just like the guy in the last video. I stood up and started doing jumping jacks, just like he did... and my kids asked me what I was doing? I told them that I was only a few minutes from hitting my calorie and exercise goal for the day. So THEY stood up and started dancing around and doing jumping jacks with me. It was the coolest moment for me.

Brought to you buy my Apple Watch.
  • Reply 9 of 66
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member

I like these ads. They're short and sweet. And even a little whimsical.

The recent Apple ads (I forget for what product) that were narrated were sometimes... corny. I like how quiet these ads are, in tone and sales pitch. 

• Reply 10 of 66
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

I don't wear a watch and haven't for twenty years. I bought two and I'm wearing one now. activity tracking, wireless iPod, mobile payments, notifications.
  • Reply 11 of 66
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    sog35 wrote: »
    I'm a little confused about the first 2 videos with the pair of women.  Are they suppose to be gay?  really confusing.

The first one is gay and inter-ethnic too. Apple is not pulling any punches. Inclusivity inspires customers to buy. Maybe. Probably. Almost certainly?

As a straight white guy, I find the ad charming. Okay, maybe a little too charming.
  • Reply 12 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I'm a little confused about the first 2 videos with the pair of women.  Are they suppose to be gay?  really confusing.

I'm sorry that you don't have same-sex friends.  :(

• Reply 13 of 66

Cute ads. Seem to be German visitors in China, and Chinese visitors in Germany. Both feature panda references. :)

• Reply 14 of 66
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

I don't wear a watch and haven't for twenty years. I bought two and I'm wearing one now. activity tracking, wireless iPod, mobile payments, notifications.

Hey, check your PMs. 

• Reply 15 of 66
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    konqerror wrote: »

To make himself feel important. Welcome to the Internet.

it didn't work

It never does.
  • Reply 16 of 66
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

I think the watch is a tough product to advertise, just because when they show the notifications, it’s like “who gives a shit, I can just check my phone” - but it’s significant when it’s hundreds of times a day. It’s really difficult to show this in ads, and how it really frees you from constantly being stuck to the phone. 

• Reply 17 of 66
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    You should write "Why I'm keeping my Watch" article.  I'd love to read it. I've been close to buying a Watch several times but still have not made the plunge.

I'm keeping my watch primarily because of the fitness side of things. I love checking my heart rate when running without having to have a chest strap rubbing away, I have regularly been encouraged to go out for just another 5 mins to break an exercise &/or steps&/or calories target (or multiple thereof). I'm sure it was a big part of the reason I recently came back from holiday 3lb lighter than when I went!

Having the ability to answer my phone or check notifications etc when it is tucked away in a rucksack or briefcase is nice too.

As far as battery life is concerned, my lowest remaining charge in a day (which was after one day with an exercise session of 1h 46m running) is 40% but is usually between 50% & 60%.

Apple Pay has just gone live in the UK & that was a doddle to use on it too.

I'm looking forward to Watch OS2 and seeing what that brings to the way i use the watch.

In summary, I'm really pleased with it. Could it be better - yes. Is it good enough at this stage in its development to be worth buying - for me a big yes. Give it a go - you could be pleasantly surprised!
  • Reply 18 of 66
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member

Berlin:

And I thought that "Cathedral towering over a Town" was situated in the Neue Pinakothek in Munic.

Hmmm...

BTW: Don't think the curry in Currywurst has anything to do with indian curry.

It's a sauce which is one off the most disgusting things the german kitchen has ever elaborated. :D 

• Reply 19 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

Even after owning a Watch for a few months, there has been a lot of discovery of what it can do - especially when iPhone apps are updated to support the Watch with proper use of it's screen and notifications.  Ads like this help me see yet another way I can use it.

Guess I won't be writing a "Why I Returned My Watch" article anytime soon, even though my website could use the clickbait.

You have now proven your credibility to me as a blogger. This puts you above Tech Crunch which posted this as a legitimate article: http://techcrunch.com/2015/07/08/apple-watch-review-after-2-months/

• Reply 20 of 66
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I think they're supposed to be traveling.