Ship times for all non-Edition Apple Watch models improve to one day in US

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

why not?

When I'm asked - i suggest if they are not a watch person, they may not be wanting to keep using it, but I wouldn't stop someone. I bet some people have converted from not being watch people to being apple watch people.

The watch industry has been in decline for several years now, as the mobile phone has taken its place, even before the iPhone. Apple is COUNTING ON people who are not watch people buying an ?Watch.

mstone is exactly who they were counting on to buy one, though they probably hoped he would get more utility out of it, and spread the word ... ;-) But I'd say they did their job pretty effectively otherwise.

• Reply 42 of 49
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

I take it you don't track your physical activity nor have physical activity goals....

You can do that perfectly adequately with the iPhone. I run upwards of 40-50 miles a week and use my phone for it all. Spotify, Podcasts, and iSmoothRun cover the bases. And my family can contact me if necessary. I have to have my phone with me anyway and it does all those things (thanks Apple and innovative software developers!). The watch would be duplicating something that's already happening.

In this thread, a lot of defensive people. I'm not convinced the demand is there.

• Reply 43 of 49
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TomHQ View Post

This was bound to happen, the preorder started a little over 3 months ago after all. But then again with the SI data still fresh in people's mind, it's hard not to correlate the two. Guess we will find out in the next earning 3 months from now.

Or we won't - except what will be able to be gleaned from the figure in the newly expanded "other sales" category Apple announced last October that the watch and iPods (and ATVs?) will be in....

.....since that was many months before launch, it makes one wonder if Apple that long ago had strong doubts about how the new device was going to sell, 'cos if gangbusters, Apple's never been shy about saying so....  

....and hearing Tim say he was going to forego the usual "happy stats" part of the WWDC Keynote to (I guess) leave more time for the music guys to ramble on about whatever it was of incredible importance they were rambling on about does add some fuel to that fire.

On the other hand, with the real OS coming out (the one with apps), a real app store, and still many countries left to go in the rollout, any intimations that it's a "flop" (as one stupid FastCompany article said earlier this week), i.e., millions of sales adding up to over $500 on average - and continuing for years at at least a decent clip - is the kind of "flop" many companies would kill for....

....still for me health reasons are the only ones I can see that will get something back around my wrist or other body part (a watch, a band, a pendant, a fabric embedded device, an implant in a tooth or whatever) after enjoying the freedom of being unbanded for over a decade now. 

• Reply 44 of 49
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    djsherly wrote: »
    You can do that perfectly adequately with the iPhone. I run upwards of 40-50 miles a week and use my phone for it all. Spotify, Podcasts, and iSmoothRun cover the bases. And my family can contact me if necessary. I have to have my phone with me anyway and it does all those things (thanks Apple and innovative software developers!). The watch would be duplicating something that's already happening.

In this thread, a lot of defensive people. I'm not convinced the demand is there.
    Indeed. After 2.5 months of sales, and it is not believed to have sold more than10M units, we can safely say that the product category is dead and Apple should abandon the project. Apple will sell well over 200M iPhones this year, but only 10M or less watches? Shut 'er down!
  • Reply 45 of 49
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    brucemc wrote: »
    Indeed. After 2.5 months of sales, and it is not believed to have sold more than10M units, we can safely say that the product category is dead and Apple should abandon the project. Apple will sell well over 200M iPhones this year, but only 10M or less watches? Shut 'er down!
    Over react often?
  • Reply 46 of 49
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    bigpics wrote: »
    Or we won't - except what will be able to be gleaned from the figure in the newly expanded "other sales" category Apple announced last October that the watch and iPods (and ATVs?) will be in....
    That category includes revenue from Beats, iPod, Apple TV, Apple-branded accessories, third-party accessories, and the Apple Watch of course.
  • Reply 47 of 49
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

Over react often?

It is a satirical response to your post.  Perhaps if you "feel defensive" you might see it as an overreaction.

• Reply 48 of 49
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    mac_128 wrote: »

The watch industry has been in decline for several years now, as the mobile phone has taken its place, even before the iPhone. Apple is COUNTING ON people who are not watch people buying an ?Watch.

mstone is exactly who they were counting on to buy one, though they probably hoped he would get more utility out of it, and spread the word ... ;-) But I'd say they did their job pretty effectively otherwise.

There's a difference between a "not a watch" person and a person who doesn't have a watch.
  • Reply 49 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Apparently I have lost interest in my ?Watch. I have forgotten to wear it everyday this week. I never leave home without my iPhone, wallet, key or sunglasses. The watch is just not that important to me. I wish I liked it more, but I never was a watch guy to begin with.

I wear mine everyday, all the time, even in the shower. It only comes off when I go to sleep; that's when it charges.

It's not piece of fashion you decide to wear like a "jewelry" or ornamental watch. If you treated it as such, you'd completely miss the point of it. In fact, I've gone running without my iPhone, but I'd have the watch on to count my steps, heart rate, and play my workout mix through Bluetooth headphones. Just offering a counterpoint to your example. I can't imagine NOT wearing it (it quickly became a habit), and it has reduced the time I spend looking at my phone.