Retina MacBook Pro owners plagued by supposed screen coating damage, call on Apple to take action

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

For example, multiple affected MacBooks exhibit streaking near the FaceTime camera, an area often touched -- and consequently cleaned -- when opening the laptop. 

I'm sorry, but what the hell are these users doing touching the area near the FaceTime Camera, even when opening the laptop? I've had my Retina MBP for 2 years now, and my screen is pristine. Like Slurpy said, this sounds like complete horse shit.

• Reply 42 of 70
    kkapoorkkapoor Posts: 25member

So I took my Retina 15" into the store today. It is under Applecare. When I pointed the coating issue out they ordered the parts to replace the screen. No questions asked. They are also going to replace the logic board, bluetooth module and bottom case.

• Reply 43 of 70
    habihabi Posts: 317member

Well I believe that manufacturers have an obligation (by law in a lot of countries) to make a product that works as the buyer expects. This means an item should be compared to items on the market and how its expected to be used. As long as its not user neglect then the manufacturer has the obligation of fixing issues that affect the look and use in normal circumstances. While this is a grey area which seem to be used by manufacturers more and more minimising impact of many countrys law's on consumer protection while stretching the truth towards the consumer and trying to go around the law by trying to shift blame on the consumer or make the consumers pay for these with their insurances instead. Many people mind how they use their time and dont like to start a time consuming spat which they 99% of the time could win if they even tried to whist the arm of the manufacturer. Manucaturers know this and try to minimise cases by being blunt in situations that they probably should have acted according to law.  While Apple is far from the worst in this regard but seemingly moving more this way, this practice is spreading widly in the industry and many people have to take their issues even to recomendation/advisory boards that have some say in consumer protection matters.  If the board thinks the issues falls under consumer protection its quite a risk for a company to not take note in an issue. I have had to whist many times the arm of a manufacturer on issues that affect their product useage. 95% of times I have had the issue resolved. The rest of times that i dont get issues resolved i just avoid using that manucaturer ever again. This is quite a risk companies are taking regarding the expected use. If i buy a clock I don't expect the strap to snap of in the seam in normal use, nor do I expect the screen of a clock to shatter in normal use.  These are always a grey are in whats to be expected and many times it falls under product design fault or product manufacturing process fault. Other times it falls under consumer neglect. Its just that companies always try to blame the user for the problem with consumer neglect which is a lucrative business practice but companies don't always understand how this might hurt their brand.

• Reply 44 of 70
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,335member

I don't yet own a MBP but I read the article and all previous comments because I am considering a purchase, and obviously I'd like to avoid this problem if possible.

To those problem-free MBP owners who mock other MBP owners with problems, shame on you.  From what I see, what you call a "statistically insignificant" problem is in fact statistically significant when you read reports of users who have this problem and get the machine swapped out only to find the replacement machine exhibits the same problem shortly after they acquire it.  You may ASSUME these folks are damaging their screens somehow, but I don't read that in their reports.

So if this screen problem is RARE, how then does one explain the "statistics" when we see users who have this problem swap out the machine and get a replacement machine with the same problem?  If it is so RARE, one would assume that it would be highly improbably that one could swap out the machine and find the same problem, right?

And so, from my viewpoint, if a user discovers this problem without every having scrubbed the screen at all, and if they get Apple to swap out the machine only to find the same problem not long afterward, it would seem only logical to conclude that there is some inherent flaw in the way Apple coats MBP screens.  And when one considers just how expensive the MBP is, one has much higher expectations of a "near perfect screen" that say someone who buys a DELL or ASUS or LENOVO.  "You get what you pay for" should apply to screen coatings, in my opinion.

• Reply 45 of 70

Yes, absolutely. Because you have not had the same experience as others it's horseshit. Definitely.

• Reply 46 of 70
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Sorry but that is way to sensitive for my taste, if I cant use a damp cloth to clean my machines with, well, their useless to me. That being said, I have never had a problem in the the last 25 years using this method to clean my Powerbooks or MacBook. Fiber cloth, yea okay, like that is ever going to happen.

Have you ever used a microfiber cleaning cloth? They work like magic to remove smudges, streaks, and fingerprints from glass surfaces.

• Reply 47 of 70
    un_plugun_plug Posts: 25member
    I have had my retina screen replaced twice due to "pitting" on the screen- resembles the picture under "this" on the staingate.org site- not the smear, just the dots. And I am someone who takes anal care of my laptop. It is rare I have to actually clean the screen, and when I do most of the time I just use distilled water and a microfiber screen cleaning cloth, and wipe very lightly.
    While agree the failure rate does not come close to a "gate" status, I do think there are batches of screens out there with less the resilient coatings.
  • Reply 48 of 70

I've had this issue with two 13" MBPs. I am extremely careful cleaning them - even more than I am my photography lenses (i.e. no alcohol, etc.) Apple happily replaced the first display at no charge, and I expect them to do the same with the second one (which they'll have in their hands Wednesday afternoon.

I agree with what's been said here - mine are/were nothing as extreme as what I see in today's photos. It seemed to only happen along the edge/bezel and very modestly. I don't see this as a big scandal - probably a very small % of devices - but writing about it drives page views, I guess.

It's hard to imagine that those people with the more badly damaged screens didn't do something unusual. Perhaps they used an alcohol-based cleaner without realizing, or perhaps they pressed way too hard when cleaning. Who knows. But I'm here to say that even if you're extremely careful, some of the coating over the bezel can streak/come off.

• Reply 49 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zigzaglens View Post

I've had this issue with two 13" MBPs. I am extremely careful cleaning them... I don't see this as a big scandal - probably a very small % of devices...

I wouldn't call it a "scandal" either, but I am not one to poo-poo this as "statistically insignificant."  You, therefore, are extremely forgiving in light of what has happened to you.

Again, I don't yet own a MBP.  I'd like to, but honestly this issue has me spooked.  

It's 2015 for crying out loud.  There ought to be a better way to reduce reflections while at the same time prevent that reflection reducer from flaking off.

And regardless of how "few" and "rare" these folks are who own MBP's with this problem, I cannot help but feel ill-will toward all those who have been bashing them in this thread.  They are your fellow man with a problem, for goodness sake.  That may not be worthy of a lawsuit, but it is worthy of our sympathy and perhaps even "investigation."  I'd like some assurance that this kind of thing won't happen if and when I buy the next-gen MBP for mega-bucks.

• Reply 50 of 70
    It happened to my partner and I. We have 2012 MBP it started as a smudge on the screen in the shape of the keys. I thought it was a smudge on the screen and tried to use my microfiber cloth to clean it and made it worse. That was my partners laptop when it happened to mine I just took it in. Apple replaced both screens no questions asked they said it was happening a lot that was about 2 years after purchase. They said some people have oily fingers and that builds up on the keys and transfers onto the screen when closed.

So if you have a good screen keep you keys clean.
  • Reply 51 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by audiounit View Post

Again, I don't own a MBP yet, nor do I think this is lawsuit worthy (I'm very anti-lawyer about most things, so no surprises there), but I do think it impractical to force users to "clean the entire keyboard" just prior to closing the lid.  Think about how many cleanings that would be!

As such, I repeat what I wrote in my previous posts here.  Apple needs to innovate and find a way to keep screen coatings from flaking off under normal usage conditions, which will obviously include finger oil.  If they cannot do that, it may be best not to coat the screens at all, even with all the reflections.

• Reply 52 of 70
    jdw wrote: »
    Again, I don't own a MBP yet, nor do I think this is lawsuit worthy (I'm very anti-lawyer about most things, so no surprises there), but I do think it impractical to force users to "clean the entire keyboard" just prior to closing the lid.  Think about how many cleanings that would be!

As such, I repeat what I wrote in my previous posts here.  Apple needs to innovate and find a way to keep screen coatings from flaking off under normal usage conditions, which will obviously include finger oil.  If they cannot do that, it may be best not to coat the screens at all, even with all the reflections.

I totally agree with you I was just sharing my experience and offering a option for those who want to avoid hassles.

I live in Australia and had no problems with a replacement screen but from what this article is say it's not true for everyone. Plus it shouldn't happen in the first place.
  • Reply 53 of 70
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 54 of 70
    jcallowsjcallows Posts: 150member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by audiounit View Post

It happened to my partner and I. We have 2012 MBP it started as a smudge on the screen in the shape of the keys. I thought it was a smudge on the screen and tried to use my microfiber cloth to clean it and made it worse. That was my partners laptop when it happened to mine I just took it in. Apple replaced both screens no questions asked they said it was happening a lot that was about 2 years after purchase. They said some people have oily fingers and that builds up on the keys and transfers onto the screen when closed.

Hi audiounit,

Which Apple Store did you take your laptops to?  I took mine to the one in Pasadena, California.  The Genius said he had never seen this problem before and simply tried to rub the blemish off with a microfiber cloth.  (It made it worse.)  Anyway, the Genius offered to replace the display for about $400.  I declined.  I'm surprised he had never seen or heard of this problem.  Perhaps I should go to an Apple Store that has?

Jerry

• Reply 55 of 70
    Quote:

I've had this issue with two 13" MBPs. I am extremely careful cleaning them - even more than I am my photography lenses (i.e. no alcohol, etc.) Apple happily replaced the first display at no charge, and I expect them to do the same with the second one (which they'll have in their hands Wednesday afternoon.

I agree with what's been said here - mine are/were nothing as extreme as what I see in today's photos. It seemed to only happen along the edge/bezel and very modestly. I don't see this as a big scandal - probably a very small % of devices - but writing about it drives page views, I guess.

It's hard to imagine that those people with the more badly damaged screens didn't do something unusual. Perhaps they used an alcohol-based cleaner without realizing, or perhaps they pressed way too hard when cleaning. Who knows. But I'm here to say that even if you're extremely careful, some of the coating over the bezel can streak/come off.

Hi all - quick update. I brought MBP #2 in to my Apple Store yesterday (Santa Monica.) The team was great as usual, but this one wasn't met with the same sweet and breezy no-charge display replacement that the last one was. I brought it in, showed him, was really clear with him how much I baby the display - and casually mentioned I'd had it happen on a slightly older MBP Retina. He asked what they did about it last time. I told him they replaced the screen. He then said he had to "go out back and check something" and disappeared for longer than I expected. When he came back out on the floor he also had a conversation with another team member before returning to me.

When he came back to me, he told me Apple considers this a "cosmetic issue" that "is not covered under warranty". But in light of my situation, and that they had replaced my previous one, they were going to "make an exception" and replace the display for me at no charge. He made it clear to me that if it happens again, I would have to pay for the replacement (about $500, as I recall.) I said OK, that's fine, but asked "what am I supposed to do in the future? Just never clean it?" and he really seemed at a loss for advice on that front.

Just FYI for those going through the same experience.

P.S. Both are/were under AppleCare.

• Reply 56 of 70
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:

Hi all - quick update. I brought MBP #2 in to my Apple Store yesterday (Santa Monica.) The team was great as usual, but this one wasn't met with the same sweet and breezy no-charge display replacement that the last one was. I brought it in, showed him, was really clear with him how much I baby the display - and casually mentioned I'd had it happen on a slightly older MBP Retina. He asked what they did about it last time. I told him they replaced the screen. He then said he had to "go out back and check something" and disappeared for longer than I expected. When he came back out on the floor he also had a conversation with another team member before returning to me.

When he came back to me, he told me Apple considers this a "cosmetic issue" that "is not covered under warranty". But in light of my situation, and that they had replaced my previous one, they were going to "make an exception" and replace the display for me at no charge. He made it clear to me that if it happens again, I would have to pay for the replacement (about $500, as I recall.) I said OK, that's fine, but asked "what am I supposed to do in the future? Just never clean it?" and he really seemed at a loss for advice on that front.

Just FYI for those going through the same experience.

P.S. Both are/were under AppleCare.

If this happens to you and Apple calls it a cosmetic issue, then remember the UCC (Universal Commercial Code) and file a small claims case in your local small claims court.   Optical coatings that behave the way these do (come off) from normal use are not "cosmetic" but are manufacturing defects.   Let Apple explain it to the judge.  (It probably won't get that far).

• Reply 57 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jcallows View Post

Hi audiounit,

Which Apple Store did you take your laptops to?  I took mine to the one in Pasadena, California.  The Genius said he had never seen this problem before and simply tried to rub the blemish off with a microfiber cloth.  (It made it worse.)  Anyway, the Genius offered to replace the display for about $400.  I declined.  I'm surprised he had never seen or heard of this problem.  Perhaps I should go to an Apple Store that has?

Jerry

Hi,

I live in Australia and the store i took it to was Chadstone so sorry not much help to you there, but this store replaced it no problem both my partners and mine "which happened about a month apart".  The person who served me said they where getting a lot in with the same problem so it is defiantly known.  I would keep trying go to another store or get the manager, get him to ring the AUS store if he still doesn't believe you.  

I hope this helps.

• Reply 58 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

If this happens to you and Apple calls it a cosmetic issue, then remember the UCC (Universal Commercial Code) and file a small claims case in your local small claims court.   Optical coatings that behave the way these do (come off) from normal use are not "cosmetic" but are manufacturing defects.   Let Apple explain it to the judge.  (It probably won't get that far).

Seriously. I'll let other brave souls do the court wrangling over a $500 laptop part.

• Reply 59 of 70
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:

Seriously. I'll let other brave souls do the court wrangling over a $500 laptop part.

In 2 out of 3 cases where I've been involved in a small claims against a large company (2x against Compaq and 1x against Amazon) the only time involved was to actually file the case, which took 15 minutes, plus the drive to the county/city court house.  Plus the time to negotiate a settlement with them on the phone.  They almost always will settle as it is not worth THEIR time to go to court about it but the court forces them to the table.

Only once did I spend an hour in court, mostly waiting, and when the judge wanted to talk to the Compaq person in person, who had written the agreement I was disputing, and that person was in Texas (not NH where I was or in Mass where Compaq had a large presence due to DEC), Compaq again just settled.

Small Claims Court *IS* your friend.   

EDIT:   In case you are not keeping track, this equates to well over $500 an hour (assuming your $500 computer part is correct) for the case where you just drive to the court house, and fill out the forms.   You wouldn't do work for $500 an hour or more?

• Reply 60 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

In 2 out of 3 cases where I've been involved in a small claims against a large company (2x against Compaq and 1x against Amazon) the only time involved was to actually file the case, which took 15 minutes, plus the drive to the county/city court house.  Plus the time to negotiate a settlement with them on the phone.  They almost always will settle as it is not worth THEIR time to go to court about it but the court forces them to the table.

Only once did I spend an hour in court, mostly waiting, and when the judge wanted to talk to the Compaq person in person, who had written the agreement I was disputing, and that person was in Texas (not NH where I was or in Mass where Compaq had a large presence due to DEC), Compaq again just settled.

Small Claims Court *IS* your friend.   

EDIT:   In case you are not keeping track, this equates to well over $500 an hour (assuming your $500 computer part is correct) for the case where you just drive to the court house, and fill out the forms.   You wouldn't do work for $500 an hour or more?

I've actually already spent an hour on it, and even in the rosiest scenario, a court action here in LA would take at least another 2-3 hours. And no, I wouldn't work for that rate.

(Just speaking theoretically - I wouldn't take Apple to court over this for many reasons that are not economic.)

I seriously appreciate the advice, though - especially since it's based in fact and on your own experiences. Hopefully others here might benefit from it.