Xiaomi VP lists intrinsic smartphone features in defense of copycat claims, proceeds to describe iPh

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    9secondko wrote: »
    The guy used to work for Google until his gf dumped him to commit adultery with one of the founders.

So his ex Google affiliation explains his lack of morals and "copy the iPhone but don't give credit" philosophy.

I don't think anyone was married at the time, so what has adultery got to do with it?
  • Reply 22 of 49
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    Let's all be honest here.

APPLE INVENTED THE CURRENT SMARTPHONE regardless of brand.

There was nothing even remotely close to the iPhone when it came out. It changed everything.

Everyone and their momma copied to various extent and we now have a lot of similarity.

That's how we got here. Apple showed what a smartphone should and could be. And everyone copied. Boom. Done.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    I don't think anyone was married at the time, so what has adultery got to do with it?

Sergey was. His wife stayed with him for two and a half years before divorcing.

So adultery was involved. That's what.
  • Reply 24 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

However, Barra's overzealous campaigning against detractors came off a touch desperate, teetering dangerously on the chamfered edge of denial.

Nice turn of phrase there AI! Made me chuckle.

This guy reminds me of an old song:

Hugo Barra sits on an apple tree.

Merry, merry, thief of the bush is he.

Deny, Hugo Barra deny.

Hugo Barra desperate your life must be.

• Reply 25 of 49
    9secondko wrote: »
    Let's all be honest here.

APPLE INVENTED THE CURRENT SMARTPHONE regardless of brand.

There was nothing even remotely close to the iPhone when it came out. It changed everything.

Everyone and their momma copied to various extent and we now have a lot of similarity.

That's how we got here. Apple showed what a smartphone should and could be. And everyone copied. Boom. Done.

Well when you put it like that... But of course it's true. The evidence in the Samsung trial exposed that company's desperation. Companies that didn't copy Apple fast enough or well enough were put out of business very rapidly. The iPhone flipped the mobile phone business in a very short time.

The fandroids tacitly know it, but defend or excuse this inevitable copying by using the rhetoric of "choice" and "competition" or posting spurious arguments and cherry picked examples. What they really want is someone to copy Apple's best ideas so they don't have to buy it from Apple.
  • Reply 26 of 49
    serendipserendip Posts: 93member
    https://www.techinasia.com/new-xiaomi-mikey-not-very-original/

I mean.. buttons have to go into the headphone jack.. it's just a "need to have".

I can see how anyone that looks at those 2 comparison pictures for pressy can definitely be "projecting their bias against Chinese companies".

They're clearly not the SAME EXACT F*%#ING THING.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Xiomi does make good portable powebricks.

I think Xiomi followed the Samsung model. If you can't initially compete on performance make your product compete as a knock off substitute appearance wise, until your internals can catch up. Then you can worry about your own design as you already have a presence in the market..
  • Reply 28 of 49
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

After reading your post, I couldn't stop myself from checking it out.  Man, what a cesspool of delusional notions that place has become (and that thread in particular). 

Reminds me of that line from Apocalypse Now: "...the sh** piled up so fast... you needed wings to stay above it."

It really is terrible. It's the home of the brain dead.

• Reply 30 of 49
    rob bonnerrob bonner Posts: 237member
    Nice free press though
  • Reply 31 of 49
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    "Um, yeah - it's totally true: when Jobs released the iPhone it totally revamped this type of product. We are emulating (the iPhone) while trying to add something new to the mix. It's already obvious that Apple nailed the fundamental requirements of a hand-held device, and we respect that. We are offering affordability through last-generation technology and Android's ubiquity. Although we lack the infrastructure Apple has spent fifteen years building, which provides the customer with so much added quality - something we can never hope to match - we are aiming to provide a sleek, stylish and attractive design to a different demograph."

- Barra (from that other universe)
  • Reply 32 of 49
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    ^^^ "...demographic."
  • Reply 33 of 49
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]Disgusting.

By the third world, of the third world, for the third world. If they show up anywhere in the U.S. or Europe, Apple should go after them with a vengeance.

What gives Xiaomi any traction in China is that they've also knocked off the Apple ecosystem - not just the look of the iPhone. They offer an iTunes-like experience with music, videos, and apps. It's all designed for the Chinese consumer. I don't think Xiaomi could transplant the experience outside of China as easily as Apple has.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    asterionasterion Posts: 112member

What is going on with his hairline? Looks like he has hair dye smeared on there!

Weird...

• Reply 35 of 49
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    brakken wrote: »
    "Um, yeah - it's totally true: when Jobs released the iPhone it totally revamped this type of product. We are emulating (the iPhone) while trying to add something new to the mix. It's already obvious that Apple nailed the fundamental requirements of a hand-held device, and we respect that. We are offering affordability through last-generation technology and Android's ubiquity. Although we lack the infrastructure Apple has spent fifteen years building, which provides the customer with so much added quality - something we can never hope to match - we are aiming to provide a sleek, stylish and attractive design to a different demograph."

- Barra (from that other universe)

Bizarro Barra :lol:
  • Reply 36 of 49
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Why is it that Apple gets the "most obvious" design first? Be original, damn it.
  • Reply 37 of 49
    What gives Xiaomi any traction in China is that they've also knocked off the Apple ecosystem - not just the look of the iPhone. They offer an iTunes-like experience with music, videos, and apps. It's all designed for the Chinese consumer. I don't think Xiaomi could transplant the experience outside of China as easily as Apple has.

At one point, Blackberry tried to do that as well. It didn't get very far, but I remember seeing their attempt at a consumer media ecosystem for their inept tablet, PlayBook. The one that launched with the "Amateur hour is over" campaign. :lol:
  • Reply 38 of 49
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member

Xiaomi didn't copy 100% from Apple, just mix and match: "I take your iPad shape, and slap color plastic cover of iPhone 5C on it to make my MiPad"...yup. Shutup Bana, you're a thef..just like what Ive said.

• Reply 39 of 49
    Xiaomi fails to understand that they fail not because they copy Apple or because their CEO buys 50 shirts at a time so he can always wear the same one like Steve Jobs. They fail because they are a typical Chinese company that is lacking in ethics. Ethics is not even taught in Chinese business schools. Someone who acted ethically in China is treated like a fool and seen as someone to be taken advantage of. Chinese companies can and do innovate all the time but then those innovations often fail in the market because of how they treat their customers and how they market and support those products. DJI who make the most popular drones in the world are a great example of this. Customers love their drones but hate the company due to its fundamental lack of ethics.
  • Reply 40 of 49
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

If they show up anywhere in the U.S. or Europe, Apple should go after them with a vengeance.

You mean like at Newegg or something?