Apple spotlights 'amazing apps' in latest 'If it's not an iPhone' ad

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2015
As part of Apple's new iPhone ad blitz, the company on Sunday released a 30-second spot highlighting user access to the iOS App Store and its more than 1.5 million titles, reminding consumers that "If it's not an iPhone, it's not an iPhone."

Like commercials aired earlier this month, today's ad touts exclusive smartphone features, functions and user benefits only offered on Apple's in-house platform. Specifically, the spot, titled "Amazing Apps," plays up access to the iOS App Store's mammoth selection of quality software.

Talking over a poppy backtrack, the narrator starts out by introducing iPhone, adding, "And it comes with something amazing: an App Store with over one and a half million of the best apps available. That's over one and a half million hand-picked, awe-inspiring, just-plain-surprising, who-knew-a-phone-could-do-that apps."

From games to educational and productivity apps, a variety of titles are showcased on the screens of a seemingly endless sea of iPhones. Apple's eye for detail comes through in a final visual sequence showing an iPhone kaleidoscope running apps grouped together by color. The ad ends with the tagline, "If it's not an iPhone, it's not an iPhone."

Saturday's short commercial is part of Apple's "If it's not an iPhone" series that debuted with two spots advertising iPhone's cohesive hardware and software ecosystem, and wildly positive consumer satisfaction ratings. The new ads reveal a marked change in direction from previous iPhone media campaigns that relied on story-driven narrative rather than direct facts.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    You need timely OS update, you got it. You need single hardware/software/app integration, you got it, you need sleek large screen capable phone, you got it. You got it all in iphone. That's why
    If it ain't an iphone, it ain't an iphone !!
  • Reply 2 of 22
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member

I have to say I'm still not convinced by the campaign theme. Until now, Apple has almost never made reference even to the existence of competition in its iPhone ads. Like Coca-Cola and McDonalds, Apple's a market leader. Like them, it should just say what's good about their products, not what other companies might be doing by contrast. Making comparisons is often a clear sign of who's losing the fight: Burger King, Pepsi, Samsung. 

Admittedly, the reference to the competition here is very slight, but still.

• Reply 3 of 22
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    This is the strongest of this ad series so far. It provides a compelling reason to check out what's on the Apple platform, the other reasons while genuine here, come across cliche since other platforms have always pretended to have a functional hardware/software pairing.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Not digging these ads at all. There are not 1 million good apps on the App Store. The shot on iPhone campaign is much much better.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

I have to say I'm still not convinced by the campaign theme. Until now, Apple has almost never made reference even to the existence of competition in its iPhone ads. Like Coca-Cola and McDonalds, Apple's a market leader. Like them, it should just say what's good about their products, not what other companies might be doing by contrast. Making comparisons is often a clear sign of who's losing the fight: Burger King, Pepsi, Samsung. 

Well, they're certainly not "losing the fight", so I guess it isn't really "a clear sign" of that fact at all. Advertising rules like "never mention your competition" are not set in stone. Depends on specific context, tone, goal, and approach. You can't compare subtle references to the obsessive, mocking, desperate, condascending Samsung comparison ads for example. 

• Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Not digging these ads at all. There are not 1 million good apps on the App Store. The shot on iPhone campaign is much much better.

Maybe not, but there are a hell of a lot more quality Apps on the App Store than on Android (or Windows or Blackberry).

Only people who compare the obvious apps (like Facebook or popular games like Candy Crush) could ever claim the quality is comparable on both. Once you go deeper down the rabbit hole you realize the true depth of what's available on the App Store and how far ahead it is from everyone else.

• Reply 7 of 22
    And I see ahead of earnings the media is on an let's slag Apple Watch fest. The New York Times ran a story about app developers being cautious about developing for the Watch and now the Financial Times is running a D&G story with quotes from a couple people who returned their watches.

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/f328df7c-2e04-11e5-8873-775ba7c2ea3d.html?ftcamp=traffic/partner/feed_headline/us_yahoo/auddev,traffic/partner/feed_headline/us_yahoo/auddev#axzz3gOanjloL

Ben Bajarin is involved with a group that runs the site wristly.co. They've been surveying over 1000 ?Watch owners and according to his tweets the feedback has been very positive. Of course none of these main stream media stories quote him or any results from these surveys as that wouldn't fit the D&G agenda. :rolleyes: I know Apple can't (and shouldn't) respond to every negative story or meme out there but the FUD and D&G around the Watch is absolutely ridiculous and the ads Apple just launched do nothing to counter it. And if Apple sticks to their plan not to announce Watch revenue or sales it's only going to get worse. Honestly I think Apple needs a much better marketing campaign for the Watch
  • Reply 8 of 22
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    http://www.slashgear.com/yup-apples-new-if-you-dont-have-an-iphone-campaign-is-out-17140610/Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

http://www.slashgear.com/yup-apples-new-if-you-dont-have-an-iphone-campaign-is-out-17140610/

"Admittedly", you weren't paying attention in 2011. 

You're welcome. 

• Reply 9 of 22
    Maybe not, but there are a hell of a lot more quality Apps on the App Store than on Android (or Windows or Blackberry).

Only people who compare the obvious apps (like Facebook or popular games like Candy Crush) could ever claim the quality is comparable on both. Once you go deeper down the rabbit hole you realize the true depth of what's available on the App Store and how far ahead it is from everyone else.

So? This ad says there's one in a half million awe inspiring apps on the app store. There's not. How about highlighting a few apps that either aren't on Android or are vastly inferior. They don't have to mention Android by name, just use something generic like they did with I'm a PC. Run a "Only on iPhone" campaign. Unless they can't do that because they'd have to get approval from the app maker?
  • Reply 10 of 22
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    I'm looking forward the only words worth hearing/reading, which simply present the facts of the matter, from Tim and Luca on Tuesday's earnings call.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    vfx2k4vfx2k4 Posts: 43member

Is Freddy Rumsen writing these ads?

• Reply 12 of 22
    "So? This ad says there's one in a half million awe inspiring apps on the app store. There's not."

Exactly how many are there, then? Should they have a 'committee' decide how many there are?

" How about highlighting a few apps that either aren't on Android or are vastly inferior. "

So what if some are on Android? These are marketing people, going for broad market appeal. If you run a campaign "Only on iPhone" then competitors run "Only on Android" campaign. Do you actually expect the public to start comparing apps before buying a phone?

They are marketing an entire package/system. What you suggest may be in your mind, more compelling ads, and very specific, but I would suggest they are using a wider concept rather than a narrow one.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    Pretty dull, uninspiring and unremarkable imo. Not a scratch on Apple's earlier story driven ads that really catch your attention and make you listen. This feels much more like an ad a retailer such as Argos in the UK, or maybe Wallmart in the U.S. would do.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    "So? This ad says there's one in a half million awe inspiring apps on the app store. There's not."

Exactly how many are there, then? Should they have a 'committee' decide how many there are?

" How about highlighting a few apps that either aren't on Android or are vastly inferior. "

So what if some are on Android? These are marketing people, going for broad market appeal. If you run a campaign "Only on iPhone" then competitors run "Only on Android" campaign. Do you actually expect the public to start comparing apps before buying a phone?

They are marketing an entire package/system. What you suggest may be in your mind, more compelling ads, and very specific, but I would suggest they are using a wider concept rather than a narrow one.

Are there even any good apps that are only on Android?

Anyway it should be about quality not quantity. There are not 1.5 million quality apps on the App Store. Just like when Apple said there were over 3,000 apps for the Watch. But how many of them are good quality apps? Probably not many.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Well, they're certainly not "losing the fight", so I guess it isn't really "a clear sign" of that fact at all. Advertising rules like "never mention your competition" are not set in stone. Depends on specific context, tone, goal, and approach. You can't compare subtle references to the obsessive, mocking, desperate, condascending Samsung comparison ads for example. 

Arlor said "often." And he's correct.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Which apps? I'm not saying there aren't a lot of them, but I don't know what any of them are. In the main categories where people spend most of their smartphone usage minutes, I believe there is "quality" parity.

Quote:

Yep. Tasker.

Also, in the young-coder-to-be segment: Android App Inventor

• Reply 16 of 22
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    Quote:

Virus scanners.

• Reply 17 of 22

Yep. Tasker.

Also, in the young-coder-to-be segment: Android App Inventor

Is Tasker something that could be on iPhone/iPad?
  • Reply 18 of 22
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    Not a chance
  • Reply 19 of 22
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by singularity View Post

Not a chance

Unless you jailbreak. Tasker does great on stock Android, but more doors are opened if you root.

• Reply 20 of 22
    patpatpatpatpatpat Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Anyway it should be about quality not quantity. There are not 1.5 million quality apps on the App Store. Just like when Apple said there were over 3,000 apps for the Watch. But how many of them are good quality apps? Probably not many.

Racechrono best in class IMO