MTV will reveal 2015 VMA nominees exclusively on Apple's Beats 1

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited July 2015
In another promotional coup for Apple Music, MTV announced on Monday that it will reveal the 2015 Video Music Award nominees exclusively on Apple's live streaming radio station, Beats 1.

The nominees will be announced tomorrow at 10 a.m. Eastern time on the Beats 1 Chart show hosted by Brooke Reece with Travis Mills. Voting for the 2015 edition of MTV's popular awards show is slated to begin immediately after.

Apple has leaned heavily on exclusive content in the early days of Apple Music, and Beats 1 has played a starring role. Tracks like Pharrell's Freedom and Eminem's Phenomenal have made their worldwide debuts on the station, which broadcasts to 100 countries around the world.

The VMAs have become a pop culture institution, and scoring exclusive rights to the nominee announcement represents yet another feather in Apple's promotional cap.

Beats 1 is free, even for those who aren't Apple Music subscribers, on iOS devices with Apple Music and on Macs and Windows-based PCs via iTunes. A full rundown of regional availability can be found at Apple's support site.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    People still watch the VMA's, or MTV for that matter?
  • Reply 2 of 19

I'm more surprised Apple seriously thinks Beats 1 will gain listeners for it. 

• Reply 3 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Stewart View Post

I was excited to hear the news this morning and decided I would listen to reveal. So, yes, I think Apple seriously thinks Beats 1 will gain listeners for it even if it is for that moment only.

• Reply 4 of 19
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Tf?

Is Apple affiliated with Viacom now??
  • Reply 5 of 19
    calicali Posts: 3,494member

You don't get it.

I guarantee if this is announced on MTV half the millions of viewers they have will know about AppleMusic for the first time.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    rseloverrselover Posts: 10member
    To the editors: I clicked on this article specifically to comment that I don't care about it.

Also, I don't need continuous coverage every time Apple releases a new ad.

Perhaps relegate that type of content to another page called something like "Daily Filler" or "BS no one could possibly care about"?
  • Reply 7 of 19
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

According to the Wikipedia article, 8.3m people watched it last year.  It looks like it's been viewed by between 8 and 10 million for quite a while.  I was surprised - I thought the viewership of things like that would have been gradually declining over time.

Seems like quite a smart good cross-promotion between MTV and Apple.

• Reply 8 of 19
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

What's an MTV?

• Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What's an MTV?

I miss the days when it was Music Television.

• Reply 10 of 19
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    rogifan wrote: »

I remember when MTV was awesome. Such a shame. That Dire Straights video 'Money for Nothing' always sticks in my mimd when ever I hear that song.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    I've always thought that MTV began to suck once they diluted all their programming on all this new channels: mtv 2, mtv jams, mtv classics or whatever, and then their main network was basically "xxx shore" and teen mom.
    At least that's what happened here in South America.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunkzombie View Post

I've always thought that MTV began to suck once they diluted all their programming on all this new channels: mtv 2, mtv jams, mtv classics or whatever, and then their main network was basically "xxx shore" and teen mom.

At least that's what happened here in South America.

It does seem weird that the more channels they have, the less music they seem to play.

MTV used to be awesome.  The only non-music thing was "The Real World", and even that was pretty cool, because it was different to what anyone else was showing.

• Reply 13 of 19
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I miss the days when it was Music Television.

Are you trying to tell me you don't like the shows 16 and Pregnant and Catfish? 

• Reply 14 of 19
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

It does seem weird that the more channels they have, the less music they seem to play.

MTV used to be awesome.  The only non-music thing was "The Real World", and even that was pretty cool, because it was different to what anyone else was showing.

Funny thing is I actually still watch the Real World. I'm not a shame to admit that. I always think to myself why the heck am I watching this crap but I still do. Sounds like no more Real World though. For music, I like watching Palladia on Directv. They have some good concert performances. Unfortunately way too many repeats of concerts though. 

• Reply 15 of 19

I was excited to hear the news this morning and decided I would listen to reveal. So, yes, I think Apple seriously thinks Beats 1 will gain listeners for it even if it is for that moment only.

Apple knows how to create buzz and raise product awareness like no one else I know... and usually garners a lot of free chatter in the process.

Also, this isn't about gaining listeners directly, it's part of a movement to place Apple (Everything about Apple), not just AppleMusic in the "Top of the Mind" of anyone interested in entertainment...

I remember the year Samsung threw 13 billion dollars away trying to do what Apple does... and only created a short-lived tiny ripple.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    I am surprised MTV is still on the air and surprised musicians make music videos. Those died in the 90s when The Real World hit the airwaves. Beats 1 is awful and no one cares about VMAs. People who don't rent their music won't care about the VMAs announced on Beats 1, and they won't sign up for Apple Music.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    They still make music videos, they are on YouTube now
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Since when did MTV again have anything to do with "music"?
  • Reply 19 of 19
    raptoroo7raptoroo7 Posts: 140member
    When was the last time MTV was relevant for anything. It used to be cool when I was a kid, not so much today.