NYT cites absence of top iOS apps in search of Apple Watch failure

Comments

• Reply 41 of 74
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Remember when the grey lady had journalistic integrity? Those were the days.
  • Reply 42 of 74
    Can someone please tell Dilger that he does not always have to be such a apple matyr? He is great at pointing out where the media is bias- but can never see that his own articles are so far in the opposite side of the spectrum they are hard to trust.
    And please- if you need 45 paragraphs to make your point you are just trying to hard.
    Filled with the biggest words his thesaurus can conjure, the longest articles on this sites, and the kind of skewed attitude as though he has blinders on makes me skip over his articles.
    It's funny when you scroll and skip the Author name. Get less than a paragraph in and say "this is Dilger" scroll up and Yup! Or better yet if it takes you more than 3 flicks to reach the bottom!
    Condense- balance- and simplify!

Totally with you dude. Well done for being brave enough to say. I see the "DED trolls" are out to get you. Obviously not a democracy here. How dare you have your own mind! ;)
  • Reply 43 of 74
    Skewered? What do you mean? You mean biased? Sure. But did you find factual errors? Is he wrong about something he wrote or do you simply not like the gloating?

Gloating is the modern scourge of journalism. It's sick-bucket stuff. Who cares if they got it wrong? What will be will be.
  • Reply 44 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ontheinside View Post

Gloating is the modern scourge of journalism. It's sick-bucket stuff. Who cares if they got it wrong? What will be will be.

Yikes, this one takes the cake for 'moronic post of the day.'

Why is gloating a 'scourge'? Why is it 'sick-bucket' stuff? Like, did the Ten Commandments say 'thou shalt not gloat'?

"What will be will be"? How about "What is, is the same old poorly-researched biased cr4p from NYT's tech writer Chen"?

• Reply 45 of 74
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Point out a single quote in Digler's article that is FALSE
    Well one truth is that Google Glass is still very much alive.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/theopriestley/2015/07/04/how-google-glass-v2-could-change-the-enterprise/

That doesn't mean the NYT article was anything more than poorly constructed click-baiting built on a flawed premise.
  • Reply 46 of 74
    The article said GoogleGlass never made it to the market.  Which is absolutely true.  That statement won't be false until Google actually releases Glass to the public.

NEXT.

That little "NEXT" thing of yours is kinda habit-forming. :D

"And in parallel, Google Glass was met with giddy optimism for years, despite never actually launching for real until it was sidelined as a product entirely."

It's not sidelined.
  • Reply 47 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

It may be true that Americans are drawn to stories of disaster and woe, as being less bland

than unmitigated successes, which, to some degree, we may have become inured to.

But I think you'd do better to ask yourself why outlets like the Times report more positively

on some companies - what greases the wheels here?  Who benefits from whose success?

Who "plays ball" with whom, and who relies on quality more than influence to make its own successes?

Probably no different across the globe, of course, but perhaps Apple doesn't choose to collude

to advance itself as aggressively as  some of its competitors do?  

Nothing wrong with being ethical...

But there might be consequences, like nasty, seemingly obtuse articles in the NYT?

I understand what you wrote. The extraordinarily funny thing about the NYT article is the NYT purposefully chose to not admit it had an Apple Watch app ready to be installed the first day the Apple Watch arrived to Apple customers. So, with Facebook not being on the Apple Watch while the NYT is means the Apple Watch is a failure? Since this is the case with the NYT, the NYT has openly admitted Facebook is a better indication of the success/failure of a device than the NYT.

• Reply 48 of 74
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

It's not sidelined.

I agree. It's just flatlined.

• Reply 49 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

That little "NEXT" thing of yours is kinda habit-forming. image

"And in parallel, Google Glass was met with giddy optimism for years, despite never actually launching for real until it was sidelined as a product entirely."

It's not sidelined.

Just like the mystery ships, Google Glass was a spectacular failure. If Google Glass is not sidelined, what is it?

• Reply 50 of 74
    Its current state is SIDELINED.

Of course Google can always bring it back if you want.

If it isn't SIDELINED tell me what the release date of Google Glass 2 is?  2016? 2017? 2018?

No one knows.  Thats the very definition of SIDELINED.
    So all the products Apple has in development are side-lined since we don't know the exact launch date if ever?
  • Reply 51 of 74
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Although a lot of big mouth people in prime locations tend to love slating Apple, I think that Apple excel in the perceived underdog position.

They try far harder than all the other companies who are just stale and stuck in their ways. If Apple became the poster child of every reporter, journalist and blogger out there, I fear it might not push so hard to be the best.

All news is either good news or advertising. I'd rather that these paid clowns were talking smack about Apple than not talking about them at all.

Besides, these people just prove that they know nothing every time they open their mouths. Imagine if you didn't really know about something and bought a tech item based on what they thought. You'd be disappointed when your friend who knows better lets you try the Apple version of that tech product.

I believe that Samsung sell so many products because people really do have to make their own mistakes. They are stepping stones to enlightenment.

• Reply 52 of 74
    Can someone please tell Dilger that he does not always have to be such a apple matyr? He is great at pointing out where the media is bias- but can never see that his own articles are so far in the opposite side of the spectrum they are hard to trust.
    And please- if you need 45 paragraphs to make your point you are just trying to hard.
    Filled with the biggest words his thesaurus can conjure, the longest articles on this sites, and the kind of skewed attitude as though he has blinders on makes me skip over his articles.
    It's funny when you scroll and skip the Author name. Get less than a paragraph in and say "this is Dilger" scroll up and Yup! Or better yet if it takes you more than 3 flicks to reach the bottom!
    Condense- balance- and simplify!

You're reading Dilger wrong. Enjoy his articles for the news and entertainment value as well as the occasional turn of a hyperbolic phrase. DED's epics are some of the best reading on this site and stand alone in linguistic style and mituational delivery. Dilger has a large but silent group of shy followers on this site who are, even now, casting aspersions in your general direction.
  • Reply 53 of 74
    I was waiting for someone to let their dogs out on me...and THIS is the best one can do? Childish. Well, my dad can beat up your dad just the same...anyway, to help along in answering my original inquiry...is there a need for this device? No.
    I love Apple, but it IS fun to rile up the "Apple can do absolutely, positively no wrong" lapdogs.

Cheers
  • Reply 54 of 74

Just like the mystery ships, Google Glass was a spectacular failure. If Google Glass is not sidelined, what is it?

Once the Borg ship enters Earth orbit you will rue your insolence...
  • Reply 55 of 74
    What does the apple watch do exactly?
    it tells time...so does the phone that it is linked to
    it informs one of the latest stock quotes...so does the phone that it is linked to (especially appealing to all the big shots on the forum(s))
    it tells the weather...so does the phone that it is linked to

it enables one to doodle on a stamp-sized surface...novel
    it lets one use some kinda haptic gimmic to poke at someone else...novel

i heard you can even dj on the thing (as a musician, hitting the record button via something on one's wrist may be a saving grace that this device offers...but, at the end of the day...big deal)

at best this is an interface experimentation playground with guinea pigs at the ready who can afford to be so

dinky screen of what real value?

does it allow, in any viable way, to be "productive" in whatever capacity that entails for someone's life

wait...it's wearable tech and that's the latest thing we need...we need

we need

need
  • Reply 56 of 74
    someday, we may even be allowed to Ping people in our social networks all the latest music we pay a monthly subscription for and be followers of what others say, especially now that what others say has been generously increased by x amount of characters

people, and that includes the guinea pigs too, break away from all of this please...for your own sake and sanity

...really, just limit yourselves to healthy doses (I'm one to talk, on my Ipad pretty much 3/4 of my waking life if granted to do so)

pathetic
  • Reply 57 of 74
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

is there a need for you to be on the internet? no.

Does that mean you shouldn't?  I'll let you answer that.

Of course there is a need to be on the internet. When was the last time you mailed in a bill or walked into a bank? Buying products online instead of in a store for a better deal. I can name 1000 reasons we "need" the internet.

• Reply 58 of 74

If you care about "journalism" then you'll care if they "got it wrong" (but you don't). The NYT piece wasn't even fact checked (the corrected claim that Google didn't have Watch apps). Sloppy journalism. Funny you should give the NYT hit piece a pass on basic facts. Perhaps you were too thrilled by the slant of their anti-Apple Watch narrative to be critical. It's funny you should slam DED instead, because you know he's right. You can't attack him on the facts, so you attack his character. You've already lost.
  • Reply 59 of 74
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

85 posts in 8 years.  

Is anyone forcing you to be here?  

Is anyone forcing you to read Diglers articles?

Stop hiding behind the democracy card.  

Apple is kicking ass and some of you have a problem with it.  Too bad.  Apple will continue to kick ass and you will continue to be bitter.

Apple will continue to kick ass and all true Apple fans will continue to be PROUD of it.  IF you think that's wrong then thats your problem, not ours.

It wasn't that long ago that people thought Microsoft would rule the world and would always rule the world. In the 90's there was Bill Gates and the other guy, the other guy being Steve Jobs who was always seen as nothing compared to Gates. Things change it's hard to innovate over decades and Apple is already running into that problem. Mac sales are up but that really doesn't account for the majority of their earnings. iPad sales have leveled off and even dropped. The only real product that is keep them a block buster company is the iPhone. When it comes to the earnings report the iPhone is going to be the key figure the Apple Watch is in no way going to help the earnings report. 

It's amazing to me the members that go into attack mode every time someone posts a says something negative about the Apple Watch or any Apple product for that matter. Also telling others to go to another forum is ridiculous you also realize that you don't have to reply to them. 

The lack of apps is a key sign because developers aren't going to invest time and money into making apps for a product they feel hasn't taken off. That's just pure logic. 

The iPhone had one of it's best years because of the change in size, you can only change the size of something so many times. If you believe the rumors it looks like they are going to try to do the same thing with the iPad making an iPad Pro. 

With regards to the Apple Watch it's simple when the numbers are released the street will decide if they are good or not.

• Reply 60 of 74
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    So all the products Apple has in development are side-lined since we don't know the exact launch date if ever?

When was the last time Apple release a product, then pulled it, only to release it again?