iPhone 6 continues to dominate best seller list, blocks Samsung Galaxy S6 from top spot

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2015
Apple's iPhone 6 has remained the top selling smartphone for ten months in a row, with sales actually increasing in May, blocking Samsung's flagship phone from taking the top spot for the quarter.

iPhone 6 and 6 Plus

According to a report by Counterpoint Research, iPhone 6 has dominated sales in every quarter since its launch in September 2014.

In previous years, Apple's iPhone has consistently taken the top sales spot after its launch during the Christmas holiday quarter and first calendar quarter of the year (during which China's Lunar New Year has increasingly provided a second sales bump for Apple).

This year however, Apple has beaten back Samsung from retaking the top sales spots in the second calendar quarter, during which its South Korean handset rival has historically launched its own Galaxy S flagship.

Counterpoint noted that Samsung's "highly anticipated Galaxy S6 Edge was plagued with supply issues in the first month and now suffers from its high price tag - quickly losing its flare as a consequence," adding that Galaxy S6 sales have been "declining since its launch in April."

The group stated, "Apple on the other hand has enjoyed steady sales and now rebounds as promotions from mobile operators help spur demand."

Counterpoint added, "Apple iPhone 6 is the bestselling smartphone in the US and the iPhone 6 Plus is the bestselling smartphone in China currently. China proves to be the largest market for iPhone 6 Plus showing the Chinese love for large screen devices."

Source: Counterpoint Research

Apple's iPhone 5s from 2013 took fifth place in June, edging out new flagships introduced by Xiaomi and LG and continuing to outsell Samsung's earlier Galaxy S5 and Note 4, both of which were introduced last year.

Samsung has warned its investors that its overall profits for the June quarter are expected to fall 4 percent compared to the year ago quarter; weaker smartphone sales are a major contributor to that decrease.

However, "without a major price cut from Samsung it doesn't look like Galaxy S6 sales will be able to top the list this year," Counterpoint observed. "Without any obvious catalysts for Android product sales, we expect 2015 will continue to be an 'Apple year.'"

Apple will report earnings later today, while Samsung is scheduled to announce its quarterly earnings on July 30.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

This can’t be true. According to the MacRumors troll brigade Apple is fading fast and is only days away from extinction. <sarcasm>

• Reply 2 of 38

All these stupid top-10 lists are meaningless without posting the actual numbers.

It would be very interesting to see the gaps between Apple and everyone else.

• Reply 3 of 38
    Just proves that there is still demand for a 4" iPhone. Main problem is that Apple simply cannot have a large phone lineup because its having trouble just keeping up with demand. Samsung is also a manufacturer so can handle spamming hardware.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    Apple continues to enjoy great success with the iPhone 6 and 6 plus. My father just got a note 4, and I find iOS much more elegant than the touch wiz/android combination.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    No new news. For years, many android users trapped into using android phones due to the lack of large screen iphone offerings got chance to dump and move to iphone. This will continue for a while because those converted not going back to android as they found "If it ain't an iphone, it ain't a good smartphone". Lesson has learned.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    When will Samsung pull out of the smartphone market?
  • Reply 7 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryant NorCal View Post

Just proves that there is still demand for a 4" iPhone. Main problem is that Apple simply cannot have a large phone lineup because its having trouble just keeping up with demand. Samsung is also a manufacturer so can handle spamming hardware.

You likely confuse the 5S's location with demand for the size. The older iPhone is typically #3 or #4 simply due to price.

• Reply 8 of 38
    schlackschlack Posts: 719member
    these ordinal lists don't mean much.

New York's largest cities are...
    1) New York City
    2) Buffalo
  • Reply 9 of 38
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

So where are the actual numbers?  You can't compile such a ranking without knowing how many of each model sold.

• Reply 10 of 38
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Just proves that there is still demand for a 4" iPhone.
    Is that what this list proves? How many of the other phones on the top 10 list are 4" phones?
    I think it is more likely that this just proves that there is a market for cheaper iPhones...
  • Reply 11 of 38
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Since iPhone 6 supposedly sold 2x more than iPhone 6 , Samsung's 3rd place is actually wwwaaaaaayyy behind iPhone 6.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    All these stupid top-10 lists are meaningless without posting the actual numbers.
    Meaningless? According to the article, the Samsung flagship has always been able to break into the top of the list on its launch during the low point in iPhone sales. If this list is correct, it has meaning: Samsung's flagship introduction blitz cannot compare to Apple's low point in sales.
    It would be very interesting to see the gaps between Apple and everyone else.
    Yes! This I agree with. The list would have much MORE meaning with numbers. It is hard to understand why they do not have them. It gives the impression that they are just making the list up...
  • Reply 13 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

When will Samsung pull out of the smartphone market?

When they no longer have 4 models in the top 10 best selling handsets worldwide and no longer make a profit.  When are all those handset manufacturers not even in the top ten going to pull out?  Personally I don't believe Canacord's  nonsense of Apple garnering 93% of all profits.  Manufacturers like One+ Oppo, Sony etc, would be pulling out of the market if they weren't making a profit, but according to Canacord they aren't. Their so called analysis just doesn't ring true.

• Reply 14 of 38
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    cnocbui wrote: »

When they no longer have 4 models in the top 10 best selling handsets worldwide and no longer make a profit.  When are all those handset manufacturers not even in the top ten going to pull out?  Personally I don't believe Canacord's  nonsense of Apple garnering 93% of all profits.  Manufacturers like One+ Oppo, Sony etc, would be pulling out of the market if they weren't making a profit, but according to Canacord they aren't. Their so called analysis just doesn't ring true.

Until you hear they lost money in the smartphone market but their next release is designed to turn things around.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Sony posts $1.2 billion loss as mobile business falls off a cliff

http://www.cnet.com/news/sony-posts-1-2-billion-loss-as-mobile-business-falls-off-a-cliff/

The OnePlus One is so cheap because they're being sold at cost

http://www.androidcentral.com/oneplus-one-so-cheap-because-theyre-being-sold-cost

hope dies hard.  But eventually many of these companies will be forced to close their smartphone divisions.

Sony is a brontosaurus.  The nerve impulses signalling it's dead just haven't reached the brain from the hindquarters yet.  Sony deserves to die.  I woke up and stopped buying their trash a decade ago.

• Reply 16 of 38
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member

I think it's also worth noting that this is despite efforts at carriers to push Android phones. I was in the local T Mobile store for awhile the other day, switching from another carrier, and I watched a family come in. The daughter was saying her iPhone 5 (or 5S) had run out of room for pictures (!) The salesman said well, then she should get a Samsung phone "because it has more room for pictures".

In a small shop, with two salesmen, I decided it was not my business to butt in and give this kid and her mom some useful/factual advice. Perhaps I should have, and perhaps this anecdote is an aberration. But I suspect that unless you come in asking for an iPhone and have your mind pretty well made up, there's a good chance some of these folks will steer you to Samsung or Android (for reasons I can only imagine).

• Reply 17 of 38
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    pdq2 wrote: »
    I think it's also worth noting that this is despite efforts at carriers to push Android phones. I was in the local T Mobile store for awhile the other day, switching from another carrier, and I watched a family come in. The daughter was saying her iPhone 5 (or 5S) had run out of room for pictures (!) The salesman said well, then she should get a Samsung phone "because it has more room for pictures".

Another issue is that people think of their smartphone as a permanent storage facility for photos.

It shouldn't be.

Yes... they can sell you a larger phone that has room for more photos... but that, too, will fill up eventually.

The worst thing is that their phone has the only copy of those photos. No backups at all.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Counterpoint noted that Samsung's "highly anticipated Galaxy S6 Edge was plagued with supply issues in the first month and now suffers from its high price tag - quickly losing its flare as a consequence..."

Typo? Or intentional?

FLARE - a sudden brief burst of bright flame or light: the flare of the match lit up his faceA device producing a bright flame, used esp. as a signal or marker: a helicopter spotted a flare set off by the crew. A sudden burst of intense emotion: she felt a flare of anger within herA gradual widening, esp. of a skirt or pants: as you knit, add a flare or curve a hem.

FLAIR - a special or instinctive aptitude or ability for doing something well: she had a flair for languages. Stylishness and originality: she dressed with flair.

• Reply 19 of 38
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Can't wait for actual numbers.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    sog35 wrote: »
    most stores get more commission selling a Samsung phone than an iPhone

Exactly - same with computers. They'd rather sell a WinBox than a Mac b/c of commissions.

I've witnessed this many, many times. People come in asking for an iMac or iPad and get steered away by the salesperson.
    It's really hard to bite the tongue when you see it happening. :no: