Apple Watch sales beat iPhone, iPad through 9 weeks, CFO Luca Maestri says

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited July 2015
The Apple Watch has sold more units in the first nine weeks following its launch than either the iPhone or iPad did at the same point after their respective releases, Apple CFO Luca Maestri said on Tuesday.

Though Maestri declined to give specific numbers when speaking to the New York Times, his comment does provide some context for Apple Watch sales data which Apple has otherwise kept closely guarded. The iPhone sold around 1 million units through its first three months, and just over 3 million iPads were shifted in the same length of time.

Combined with 56-percent sequential growth in revenue for Apple's "Other Products" category --?which includes the Apple Watch along with the iPod and Apple TV --?Maestri's comment suggests that Watch sales have been better than many expected. Apple has chosen not to reveal exact sales figures.

Even with only 3 million units sold, the Apple Watch is easily the best-selling smartwatch yet and has quickly put a chokehold on the market. Rival smartwatch makers are thought to have shipped just over 4 million devices in all of 2014.

Analyst expectations for first-year Watch sales were all over the map before the device's launch, ranging from 5 million to 20 million and sometimes more. Apple is poised to reach toward the upper end of that spectrum if Watch sales continue at this pace, especially with the wearable likely to be a popular gift choice for the holiday season.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    That's nice. This is spin. As an investor, I want real numbers.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    cash907 wrote: »

You can't have those numbers and you're not entitled to them.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    I'm spitballing 2.1 million. 78/18/4 for Sport/Regular/Edition split.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    radster360radster360 Posts: 546member
    Maybe Apple should just break out the number for Apple Watch and Apple TV outside of the "Other" category and lay it out and not try to justify it any other way to keep all those idiots at Wall Street happy! Let's not let them guess and give them yet another reason to bash Apple. Even if the number is around 3 Million watches, it is still lot better than other smart watches that have shipped collectively. Just Apple Watch brings in more than billion dollars, which by itself is envy for may companies.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Actually you want revenue/profit numbers.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    But but but...the iPhone sold 50 MM. So in comparison, it's a flop. /s
  • Reply 7 of 28

Samsung bought a few shares of Apple. They want these numbers too.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    jungmark wrote: »
    But but but...the iPhone sold 50 MM. So in comparison, it's a flop. /s

70 million, if you follow anti-Watch troll flawgic.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    I had to laugh. For a second there, I thought I'd actually read "ONLY three million watches"...

Oh wait. Somebody actually wrote that.

Oh... *sigh*
  • Reply 10 of 28
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I thought Luca Maestri was sleeping with the fishes.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

7% stock price drop after hour trading? This is a fucking joke. WS analysts need to eat shi.t.

"Apple Inc. said its quarterly profit surged 38%, boosted again by strong demand for the company’s latest iPhones and robust growth in China where sales more than doubled.

Still, shares of Apple—up 39% over the past year—slid 6.7% to $122 in after-hours trading as the company’s revenue outlook for the current quarter fell short of Wall Street expectations."- WSJ

That's messed up.

• Reply 12 of 28
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I'm spitballing 2.1 million. 78/18/4 for Sport/Regular/Edition split.

I don't think the Edition figures into this quarter at all which ended in June. Didn't the Edition just start shipping in July? If so, this is great news because it only represents the Sport and Watch model. There's still huge profits to come next quarter from the Editions.

• Reply 13 of 28
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Well in their first quarters ever the original iPhone sold 270k units while the iPad sold 3.27 million units. I am not sure about the number of weeks in those time periods though.

EDIT: Figured it out from Apple Fiscal Calendar. The iPad was launched April 3rd 2010 which means it had 12 weeks in Q3 2010. Average is 272k per week. Estimated 3 weeks of sale would be 816k for three weeks. 3.27 millions - 816k about 2.454 million Apple Watch.

• Reply 14 of 28
    Maestro said the Watch sold at a faster rate than did iPad over a similar period at its launch. That tells us that the Apple sold over 3.1 million watches if this is the case. They are on track yo sell at least 15 million this year.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    Making Apple Watch sales invisible.. Makes competitors confused.

Mostly Androids will use market share in their marketing.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    Sounds like smoke and mirrors to me. /s
  • Reply 17 of 28
    mejsric wrote: »
    Making Apple Watch sales invisible.. Makes competitors confused.

That's the point too. It's smart of Apple to not be too transparent to the competition... especially with new products. I remember when the iPhone was released and the speculation of the success was all over the map. Apple kept their cards close to their chest until it was known to be a wild success.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    garypgaryp Posts: 150member
    Apple reports record numbers, business firing on all cylinders, and the stock takes a dip. The usual, in other words. Only question is how fast it bounces back. I'd think pretty fast.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

welcome to the forums, son. i guess you didn't get the memo months ago that there wouldn't be numbers.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    ronnronn Posts: 653member

I would imagine that we won't get official numbers until next FY at the earliest. No matter what figures are shared, Wall St. won't be happy. Keep them guessing I say, IDGAF who whines.