Apple releases fourth betas of iOS 9, OS X El Capitan, watchOS 2 to developers

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2015
Apple's three forthcoming software updates were given new beta releases on Tuesday, allowing developers to test the latest builds of iOS 9, OS X El Capitan, and watchOS 2.

The fourth beta of iOS 9 is identified as build 13A4305g. It arrives less than two weeks after the third beta was supplied to developers.

The fourth beta of watchOS 2, meanwhile, is labeled as build 13S5305d, and El Capitan is 15A226f. All three software updates are scheduled to officially launch to the public this fall.

Being pre-release software, bugs unsurprisingly remain. For example, Apple has notified developers that there are issues with AirPlay, Apple Pay, CarPlay, HealthKit, HomeKit, iCloud Backup, Multitasking, Mail, Maps, Podcasts, Safari, Siri and much more.

On the Mac side, issues remain in El Capitan with Photos, Apple ID, and Language. Apple has also warned developers not to upgrade from OS X Lion or earlier to OS X El Capitan.

In the meantime, ambitious non-developers can still test iOS 9 and OS X 10.11 El Capitan by signing up for Apple's public beta program. iOS 9 is expected to launch in September alongside the next generation of iPhones. watchOS 2 is not available as a public beta.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18

So maybe another week or two before the Public Beta gets Update 2? It's been fairly stable but I'd like my LTE (Verizon) and EarPod remote functions back if possible. :)

• Reply 2 of 18
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I've had a few problems with iOS 9.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    cmauscmaus Posts: 49member
    Need a new Beta of iOS 9, too
    Some performance-, crash-, and Messages filtering fixes needed.
  • Reply 4 of 18

Only issue I'm having with iOS 9 is "No Cell Coverage" draining the battery.  Other than that, its been pretty great.  

• Reply 5 of 18
    Only issue I'm having with iOS 9 is "No Cell Coverage" draining the battery.  Other than that, its been pretty great.  

Did you try disabling LTE? Mine kept dropping it and when I forced it to 3G, it seems to have stabilized.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Did you try disabling LTE? Mine kept dropping it and when I forced it to 3G, it seems to have stabilized.

No, but I'll defiantly try that, thanks!

• Reply 7 of 18
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Mmm ...

Tim's Apple seems able to walk and chew gum at the same time ... Thought with the earnings call we'd see a delay from the 2-week beta cycle.

The other thing -- I have a feelining my bones that we are going to see a lot of new announcements from Apple between now and the new iPhones.

I suspect the new AppleTV real soon (cord cutting content, games, home server, etc.). IDK why, but I feel the new iPod ties into this somehow.

And Apple Maps -- so much potential there!

Then, there's FCPX ...

Apple used to support a programming technology in QuickTime called SMIL -- where you could package logic with AV files so the user could interact with them. I get the impression that Apple is on the verge of adding interactive video creation as part of the FCPX editing process. This could totally revolutionize video/audio/music videos/training manuals & videos/virtual tours/etc. -- even TV Shows and movies -- as we know them today. Not as an after-thought add-on, but part of the creative process.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    BuffyzDeadBuffyzDead Posts: 356member
    Yeah, %u2026I need the public beta as very soon as possible.

I have been a long time Public Beta user, on both OS X and iOS, but on my iOS devices, this time around, Beta 9 %u2026has been very very, Very, Beta to me

Not complaining, since I signed on, knowing full well %u2026.just expressing.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member

I've found the is beta to be just Okay.

A few strange issues I've come across:

1. Video occasionally doesn't play from streaming sites. The scrubber is moving the but there's no pictures. Once it gets like that, all videos go like that. A reset fixes it.

2. UI Becomes unresponsive, usually when there's some kind of scrolling required. This is generally a precursor to needing a reboot.

3. iSmoothRun is just broken. It's either poorly programmed, the API implementations underneath have changed, or a combination of both. It doesn't record time, UI is slow. 'Auto pauses' when the home button is hit. Crashes.

4. Podcast is hit and miss. But that's no different from ios8 :)

What I would like to see is Apple pay working in my country. That's a separate issue though.

• Reply 10 of 18
    I've had three problems.

One is that the auto signin we get on the upper left of the keyboard when tapping in a signin for a web sight, is gone. Whether that's intentional, I don't know, but I use it a lot.

Two, and it's a much bigger problem, is that I can no longer sign into the App Store.

Offhand, I don't remember the third.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 878member
    4 Hours flat, 1 Server 2 Laptops, iPhone 6 and Watch. :) 1:30pm to 5:30pm

Pretty smooth no problems.
  • Reply 12 of 18

I think in the last public beta for OS X that the public got ever second beta?

Maybe this will be the same for iOS. 

I had a very smooth upgrade of phone and watch from 9.0 beta 3 to beta 4.

The watch is certainly faster on beta 4. But does not display some emails well.

The iPhone 6 seems faster in some instances but not necessarily in Safari (that could be the fault of the website though). I did have trouble getting it to scroll on the Apple Developer site! I had to use two fingers.

Also, Mail on the phone was not displaying the body of an email that I knew had body content because I could see some of it in the preview. I had to restart.

• Reply 13 of 18
    razormaidrazormaid Posts: 299member
    I guess I've been VERY lucky the only issues I'm having are the MIC (slow 17 second delay once you click it) and trying to buy something through the app store. It keeps asking me to sign in with ID and password over and over even though I am signed in and I type the info anyway. Beta department actually closed my bug report telling me to contact Apple Care ? (Wtf?). But I told them they're just going to send me back once I tell them I'm on iOS 9. Which they promptly did. Since June 9th I have been unable to buy anything on any devices running IOS 9 except iBooks. Go figure. I'm a powrbetas2 wireless baby. I NEVER pull my phone out of my pocket so I miss my MIC
  • Reply 14 of 18
    razormaidrazormaid Posts: 299member
    melgross wrote: »
    I've had three problems.

One is that the auto signin we get on the upper left of the keyboard when tapping in a signin for a web sight, is gone. Whether that's intentional, I don't know, but I use it a lot.

Two, and it's a much bigger problem, is that I can no longer sign into the App Store.

Offhand, I don't remember the third.

Same here. Unable to get past the little sign in window to buy anything since June 9th. They said it was just me. Humm. Thanks for that info. You having the 17 sec delay on your mic too?
  • Reply 15 of 18
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

I find it a little odd that Beta 4 is still so unstable in terms of general UI speed and performance.  This is one of the main focuses of iOS 9. In fact, Beta 1 was actually much smoother than subsequent betas, and nearly lived up to Apple's claims, however the battery drain was atrocious. Hopefully those things are not linked in any way, and Apple is not searching for a balance.

I normally would expect speed and performance to polish out for the GM, but with iOS 9 I thought we would see some fundamental changes for the better that rise above the beta tag. And like I said, iOS 9 beta 1 felt like we had...and now not so much. There is hope for it to return, but I fear the end result will be a compromise that is not as noticeably better as Apple originally intended.

• Reply 16 of 18
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Mmm ...

Tim's Apple seems able to walk and chew gum at the same time ... Thought with the earnings call we'd see a delay from the 2-week beta cycle.

The other thing -- I have a feelining my bones that we are going to see a lot of new announcements from Apple between now and the new iPhones.

I suspect the new AppleTV real soon (cord cutting content, games, home server, etc.). IDK why, but I feel the new iPod ties into this somehow.

Then, there's FCPX ...

Apple used to support a programming technology in QuickTime called SMIL -- where you could package logic with AV files so the user could interact with them. I get the impression that Apple is on the verge of adding interactive video creation as part of the FCPX editing process. This could totally revolutionize video/audio/music videos/training manuals & videos/virtual tours/etc. -- even TV Shows and movies -- as we know them today. Not as an after-thought add-on, but part of the creative process.

I get more of a sense that AppleTV is going to spice up the iPhone keynote, much like how Apple Watch did last year.

• Reply 17 of 18
    pmz wrote: »
    Mmm ...

Then, there's FCPX ...

Apple used to support a programming technology in QuickTime called SMIL -- where you could package logic with AV files so the user could interact with them. I get the impression that Apple is on the verge of adding interactive video creation as part of the FCPX editing process. This could totally revolutionize video/audio/music videos/training manuals

I get more of a sense that AppleTV is going to spice up the iPhone keynote, much like how Apple Watch did last year.

You could be right -- though content availability might be the driving force -- sports, New TV season.

The whole HomeKit thing is beginning to gain traction ... We have some Hue lights but no HK interface yet. In fact, we just got a new AC/Furnace & I wouldn't let them install a Nest Thermostat. We got a Ecobee3 HomeKit enabled thermostat that they will install today. So, I will be able to test with a real device for the first time.

I mention this, because Apple could stagger AppleTV announcements and get multiple bangs for the bucks -- say, something like:
    1. late July -- cord cutter content availability
    2. September (iPhone event) -- Siri (iPhone, iPod, iPad, Watch) -- add enhanced Home Server with HomeKit devices
    3. November -- add Game console and game content
  • Reply 18 of 18
    razormaid wrote: »
    Same here. Unable to get past the little sign in window to buy anything since June 9th. They said it was just me. Humm. Thanks for that info. You having the 17 sec delay on your mic too?

Not familiar with that one.