Leaked images seemingly confirm Samsung's Galaxy S6 Edge+ with gold color option

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2015
With Samsung expected to reveal its new iPhone 6 Plus competitor as soon as next month, a trio of recently-leaked images appears to confirm previous rumors about the device's name and release date while showing off an anticipated gold offering.

A purported in-store demonstration unit of the S6 Edge+, published by German website All About Samsung, shows a scaled-up S6 Edge carrying the rumored S6 Edge+ branding. Samsung will be pitting the S6 Edge+ --?as well as the upcoming Note 5 --?directly against Apple's iPhone 6 Plus, which could cause confusion for some consumers.

The S6 Edge+ display appears to indicate that the device will hit retail shelves on August 21, while previous rumors had pegged August 12 as launch day. Samsung is rumored to have brought its usual September introduction for new flagship handsets forward in order to give the new devices some breathing room before Apple's anticipated iPhone 6s announcement.

Additional images shown off by PocketNow suggest that Samsung will give buyers a gold color option for the S6 Edge+, matching the jumbo variant with its smaller sibling. The photos also seem to confirm that the device will be powered by Samsung's own Exynos 7420, rather than Qualcomm's Snapdragon chips.

The S6 Edge+ is also likely to ship with 3 gigabytes of RAM and 32 gigabytes of built-in storage in the base configuration. RAM would rise to 5 gigabytes in the Note 5.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20

They put Qualcomm stickers on there, I'm surprised it doesn't have a huge "EXYNOS INSIDE" lable on the bezel or something.

• Reply 2 of 20
    yawn.....
  • Reply 3 of 20
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Now THAT'S Samsung innovation! /s
  • Reply 4 of 20

Is that a camera thing-y on the bottom right of the home screen!?

• Reply 5 of 20
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Is that a camera thing-y on the bottom right of the home screen!?

You sound surprised!

• Reply 6 of 20
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Samsung thinks gold is the fix to the china problem they are having.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    of course...
  • Reply 8 of 20
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Samsung solidifying their status as an iPhone cloner confirms their slide into irrelevancy. 

• Reply 9 of 20
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Now THAT'S Samsung innovation! /s

Per fandroids, bigger means innovation. They inflate Galaxy S to make Galaxy S+, and couldn't come with any vocabulary for larger but +...

• Reply 10 of 20
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    They should concentrate on their interface more than their screen size. They are blurring the lines between their mini tablets and their extra large sized phones.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    utterly shocking....Sammy coming out with a gold option. Wonder where that idea came from? Trying to think....having a little trouble...it will come to me.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Loving the comments! Lol. Remind me did Samsung buy Xerox? It could save them a fortune in copying fees...... Ops sorry my mistake... Wrong type of copying fees. Lol
  • Reply 13 of 20
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Samsung thinks gold is the fix to the china problem they are having.

China does LOVE their gold!!!!  The Gold Apple Watch has been selling like crazy there along with Gold iPhones.  The problem with a Gold Samsung phone is the cost!!!  If you're going to go with Android, would you spend $800 or so on a Gold Samsung phone instead of $200 on a Gold China only made phone?  Google's presence in China is almost nil.  

Even in the rest of the world, how many people want to fork out the money for the Edge version, gold or otherwise?  it's Android and isn't Android suppose to be CHEAP?  That's how it's been pushed, and yet Samsung is trying to be like Apple and it's not working very well.  it's working enough where at least they can make some profit from Android which is far better then most everyone else that really aren't making anything or very little.   How long this continues?

What other choice do these company's have?  I've said it a number of times, if Samsung was SMART they would ditch Android and go with TIZEN!!    See the problems with Android is any company can start making Android phones which in the end cuts into your bottom line when you can't charge alot and your prices drop like a rock in such a short period of time.  The other issue is No one wants to use your services, they want to use Google's!!!!  Samsung trying to offer their own services have so far failed.  The Upcoming Samsung Pay will also fail because people would rather use Google Wallet or Android Pay.  If you have no control of the OS.  You really can't offer your own services, or your own App store, etc.  That means no way to make money after the sale!!!  If you broke even selling the phone, but you could make money on the back end, great.   No one making Android phones can do that.  How that works in China and Forked Android and their own App stores?!?!  I don't know.  I

If Samsung went TIZEN, now only they can make the phones.  They own the OS and they would control all the services, just like Apple and BlackBerry.  Samsung at least has other sources of Income because they would take a huge hit at first.  But when you think Android, you think Samsung. So they're well known and I think many would jump to TIZEN.   The longer they wait and push Android the harder it'll be later.   For everyone else?  Continuing to make Android phones and not make a profit can only last so long.  Maybe it's time to branch out into other area's and then drop Android all together.   Maybe buy Blackberry and turn that company around.    You can't move to Windows as you have the same issues as with Android.

• Reply 14 of 20
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Per fandroids, bigger means innovation. They inflate Galaxy S to make Galaxy S+, and couldn't come with any vocabulary for larger but +...

The plus is just more copying of Apple to confuse people.  Doesn't Samscum also have a Galazy Mega that's even larger then the Note?

• Reply 15 of 20
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With Samsung expected to reveal its new iPhone 6 Plus competitor as soon as next month, ...

...Samsung will be pitting the S6 Edge+ --?as well as the upcoming Note 5 --?directly against Apple's iPhone 6 Plus, which could cause confusion for some consumers.

The S6 Edge+ display appears to indicate that the device will hit retail shelves on August 21, while previous rumors had pegged August 12 as launch day. Samsung is rumored to have brought its usual September introduction for new flagship handsets forward in order to give the new devices some breathing room before Apple's anticipated iPhone 6s announcement.

So...their answer to the iPhone 6+ comes 11 months after its launch.  Their new phone competes with a 1 year old phone.

"...confusion for some customers." ??  The koolaide masses maybe.

• Reply 16 of 20
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

The Qualcomm sticker is a bit odd as it's supposedly on the S6 Edge, which has an Exynos processor.  The Edge+ is the model rumoured to be getting a Qualcomm 808.

Edit:  Ah!, it  just denotes the radio.

• Reply 17 of 20
    fallenjt wrote: »

Per fandroids, copying = innovation. The whole point is that fandroids don't have to buy their iPhone from Apple; they can buy their iPhone lookalike from someone else.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    raptoroo7raptoroo7 Posts: 140member
    Clearly many here are clueless. Qualcomm is there for radios not the chipset. Samsung offered Gold as a phone color long before Apple did and of course Apple used "Plus" and had to suck it up and get down on its knees and admit they had to offer a larger phone because Android was taking their sales.

That said, WTF, who cares. It's a phone and any phone is outdated within months of launch, iPhone included. I just left the AT&T store tonight where idiots are buying iPhone 6's given the 6s will be out in two months. Wait a couple and get the updated model and be happier.

I am waiting for the 6s Plus and iPad Pro, my wife will then get the iPad Air 2 I have.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Per fandroids, copying = innovation. The whole point is that fandroids don't have to buy their iPhone from Apple; they can buy their iPhone lookalike from someone else.

Well, if it's not an iPhone, it's not an iPhone...

raptoroo7 wrote: »
    Clearly many here are clueless. Qualcomm is there for radios not the chipset. Samsung offered Gold as a phone color long before Apple did and of course Apple used "Plus" and had to suck it up and get down on its knees and admit they had to offer a larger phone because Android was taking their sales.

That said, WTF, who cares. It's a phone and any phone is outdated within months of launch, iPhone included. I just left the AT&T store tonight where idiots are buying iPhone 6's given the 6s will be out in two months. Wait a couple and get the updated model and be happier.

I am waiting for the 6s Plus and iPad Pro, my wife will then get the iPad Air 2 I have.

I agree with that. On the other hand, I'm happy with my 6+, and I expect to keep it one more year, then give it to my partner and get the next iPhone :)