Cook denies Apple Watch sales 'collapse,' says shipments peaked in June

Comments

• Reply 41 of 118
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    Having owned the Apple watch since early June. I am struggling to see the point. So far it is nothing more than a fancy remote for my iPhone....

I do not fine it particularly useful.

About the only thing I use it for is an exercise aid. The pulse monitor is about all I use regularly...

Short of that is seems rather useless....
  • Reply 42 of 118
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Because Cook sticks to his guns. He already stated they will not reveal numbers, changing his mind because of pressure would be weak, and probably only beneficial to the very short term, not long term. And Tim is a long term kind of guy. 

Fair enough. But I don't fully understand the original decision to not reveal either (although sog35's point about not wanting to reveal too much to the competition may stand to reason, especially after the way those lowlifes ripped off the last two major product introductions).
  • Reply 43 of 118
    sranger wrote: »
    Having owned the Apple watch since early June. I am struggling to see the point. So far it is nothing more than a fancy remote for my iPhone....

About the only thing I use it for is an exercise aid. The pulse monitor is about all I use regularly...

Remote for the iPhone? Lol.

So, why have you not returned it?
  • Reply 44 of 118
    "Cagey" LOL. AI's new overused word.
    Last year it was "BESPOKED"
  • Reply 45 of 118
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

It doesn't matter WHAT Cook says. The snarky doomsday naysaying concerned worried negative bloggers and press will badmouth Apple.

So what if Cook had told the world exactly how many Watches Apple sold?

Look how many iPhones Apple sold -- a record amount. Look how much profit Apple made -- a record amount. And most of the coverage of that is negative, and APPL took a 10 point hit after hours.

Even if Cook had bragged about a high number of Watch sales, the result would have been more badmouthing in the press, and a lower stock price.

And that's okay. Because all that is just temporary. It's like every word that comes out of Businessinsider and CNBC. It will have zero importance or meaning ten minutes from now. It's just a bunch of noise that impacts the world for exactly 24 hours before it's forgotten.

I predict APPL regains those 10 points within 1 week. 7 days max.

If Cook said the numbers, they would just argue it was channel fill. ;) 

• Reply 46 of 118
    Remote for the iPhone? Lol.

So, why have you not returned it?

It was a gift... And this is an honest opinion. I own and like many Apple products. I just do not see the watch as much use over the iphone it self...
  • Reply 47 of 118
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iObserve View Post

I see you have over 300 posts. So do you just post and never read any apple news or info? 

Because unless you've got dementia you must remember for months and months Apple repeatedly stating they will not break out the watch numbers for competitive reasons.

They just lost 50-60 Billion off the market cap. If the Apple Watch was doing well they would have released the numbers. Samsung has tried to steal just about every aspect of the iPhone and Apple released the iPhone 6 numbers within two weeks. In fact I think they had a press release 24 hours after the iPhone 6 was released to report on pre sales. So no that statement about competitive reasons doesn't hold water. 

I read many of the posts on this forum and I am always amazed how how the human mind can try to rationalize something that isn't rational. 

• Reply 48 of 118

It was a gift... And this is an honest opinion. I own and like many Apple products.

Of course. And of course. Of course, yet again.
  • Reply 49 of 118
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
  • Reply 50 of 118

Why did you buy it?
  • Reply 51 of 118
    atlapple wrote: »

They just lost 50-60 Billion off the market cap. If the Apple Watch was doing well they would have released the numbers. Samsung has tried to steal just about every aspect of the iPhone and Apple released the iPhone 6 numbers within two weeks. In fact I think they had a press release 24 hours after the iPhone 6 was released to report on pre sales. So no that statement about competitive reasons doesn't hold water. 

I read many of the posts on this forum and I am always amazed how how the human mind can try to rationalize something that isn't rational. 

Wall Street doesn't give a shit about Watch right now. The stock is down because they pumped up iPhone estimates (and Q4 estimates) at the last minute and Apple didn't meet those phony numbers.
  • Reply 52 of 118
    Maybe.

I still find it odd that he had to be so coy about it. What possible reason could there be, especially when your stock just lost somewhere between $50B-$60B in market cap?!

Do you really think not releasing Watch sales is the reason Apple was down 7% after hours? All Wall Street cares about right now is iPhone. They pumped up iPhone estimates right before earnings release. Apple didn't beat the "whisper numbers". Clearly someone wanted the stock to tank after hours.
  • Reply 53 of 118
    Rather amusing to look at the posts on some other forums, particularly MacRumors. One poster who was banned here is still fuming over the Apple Watch and questioning Apple, specifically Tim Cook, over his not revealing specific Watch numbers.
  • Reply 54 of 118
    rogifan wrote: »
    Do you really think not releasing Watch sales is the reason Apple was down 7% after hours? All Wall Street cares about right now is iPhone. They pumped up iPhone estimates right before earnings release. Apple didn't beat the "whisper numbers". Clearly someone wanted the stock to tank after hours.

Where did I imply that absence of Watch sales is what led to the decline? You're confusing the (implied) cause and the (implied) effect in my post.

As to 'whisper' numbers, this is the third or fourth different explanation I've heard for the after-hours fall. All equally plausible, or not.

What is certainly not plausible is your market conspiracy theory.
  • Reply 55 of 118

I interpreted what he said to mean that if sales were stellar, releasing numbers would be a good way to boost the stock a bit, not to mean that the price was down because numbers weren't released.
  • Reply 56 of 118
    It was a gift... And this is an honest opinion. I own and like many Apple products. I just do not see the watch as much use over the iphone it self...

I currently own two 15"MacBook pros. Two minis. One gold MacBook (wife's) one iPhone 6, one iPhone 5s (wife's), 2tb wireless access point, a iPad mini and iPad 2 and an Apple watch.

So you do not believe I am entitled to my opinion on the watch?????
  • Reply 57 of 118
    I interpreted what he said to mean that if sales were stellar, releasing numbers would be a good way to boost the stock a bit, not to mean that the price was down because numbers weren't released.

What is the definition of stellar? There is no point in Apple releasing Watch sales figures because there is nothing really to compare them to.
  • Reply 58 of 118
    Why did you buy it?

A gift...
  • Reply 59 of 118
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ferraferro View Post

I don't really think apple watch will have a major impact as it is now, it is just a toy with so few fucncionality and a lot of marketing that every body understand this time that is an empty expensive stupid product. THe watch is a good idea but won't be a success especcially because the more the advertise and the more is a failure. Apple has searous problem of grediness and they are making unfair and bad choices in all their fields, the only "gadget" working is the iphone even if is slow in getting the available technology. Apple is still strong but is going to fall if their politic will be conservative and lucrative.

Hey Einstein... in case you were asleep in Obvious-101, the watch ALREADY is a success.

Troll much?

• Reply 60 of 118
    What is the definition of stellar? There is no point in Apple releasing Watch sales figures because there is nothing really to compare them to.

Are you kidding? You would not only compare them to other new product intros by Apple (iPod, iPhone, iPad), but also to other wearables.

As an aside, if your logic prevails, how is any first-time sales release justified for anything anywhere by anyone anytime!?