Gold rear shell purportedly for Apple's 'iPhone 6s Plus' said to feature stronger construction

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blazar View Post

I remember people that hated the antennae lines... You dont really heat about that much since almost everyone has a case i suppose

Personally I still find it hideous. But, yes...a case has eliminated much of my consternation. I still think the iPhone 5/s is the better looking iPhone.

• Reply 22 of 35
    solipsismy wrote: »
    FYI, your comment in no way references an OTA installation. If — and that's a big if — you did in fact mean to say that the installation requires 400MiB, you even make that ambitious by not stating if that's 400MiB of NAND for the download and swap space to complete the install or if that's 400MiB over what iOS 8 needed for the same OTA update.

My comment was simple. With iOS 9, you lose an additional 400MB of space to the OS.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    My comment was simple. With iOS 9, you lose an additional 400MB of space to the OS.

Your comment and comprehension of what Apple is claiming is wrong. iOS 9 will give back GiBs of local storage space over having had iOS 8.x installed. You lose nothing.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Your comment wasn't that simple, since it has me hella confused.

Are you saying

1. That installing iOS9 requires 400MiB more free space during the install than iOS8 did; or

2. That once installed, iOS9 takes up 400MiB more than iOS8 did?

These are quite different things, and given what Apple has publicly stated, I'd be quite surprised at either, though 2 would be more concerning.

• Reply 25 of 35
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Your comment and comprehension of what Apple is claiming is wrong. iOS 9 will give back GiBs of local storage space over having had iOS 8.x installed. You lose nothing.

Right, keep grinding your axe. As someone who is running iOS 9, I think I'm qualified to state that RIGHT NOW, iOS 9 is consuming 400MB more space. Your picture is how much free space you will need to do an OTA update, which has NOTHING to do with my statement.
    crowley wrote: »
    Your comment wasn't that simple, since it has me hella confused.

Are you saying
    1. That installing iOS9 requires 400MiB more free space during the install than iOS8 did; or
    2. That once installed, iOS9 takes up 400MiB more than iOS8 did?

These are quite different things, and given what Apple has publicly stated, I'd be quite surprised at either, though 2 would be more concerning.

iOS 9 takes up 400MB more after install. We'll see if that changes.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    YouTube channels are bulking up in anticipation of the iPhone 6s Plus' allegedly stronger case. They'll be ready to bend it on camera when September 2015 comes around.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

YouTube channels are bulking up in anticipation of the iPhone 6s Plus' allegedly stronger case. They'll be ready to bend it on camera when September 2015 comes around.

They use home made steroids... and a hydraulic jack (to prebend the phone prior ro clip)

• Reply 28 of 35
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Personally I still find it hideous. But, yes...a case has eliminated much of my consternation. I still think the iPhone 5/s is the better looking iPhone.

Yeah, the plastic lines are really fugly, still. I'll be switching to a 6s from my 5s, and I'll be choosing the color based upon what makes those lines as unnoticeable as possible. 

• Reply 29 of 35
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    spheric wrote: »

Yeah, the plastic lines are really fugly, still. I'll be switching to a 6s from my 5s, and I'll be choosing the color based upon what makes those lines as unnoticeable as possible. 
    Space gray. Other colors have antenna in white which gets dirty noticeably.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member

Your example is kind of like saying "so I put my iPhone in a vice and applied about 70 lbs. of pressure to it. And it bent! Apple's going to have to address this sooner or later."

Go-karting? Really? I can't think of a better way to contort your pants in order to easily bend anything in the pockets.

• Reply 31 of 35
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    ...maybe we've reached a point where other design elements must be taken into consideration.

Don't be silly. Thinness has to be the absolute top priority over everything else, duh!
  • Reply 32 of 35
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Of course someone has to get in the "stronger material" dig at Apple.

How else can they continue to complain that the iPhone 6 is "bendy" and Apple made a mistake with its design? A mistake that they are now "correcting" with a new stronger material.

I wonder how someone is able to handle a part and determine the strength of such part based on how it "feels"?

It’s not a dig: just like any thin metal & glass box of electronic; it can bend. And yes it was totally blown out of proportion when you consider the fault lies with the carelessness of the user.  Someone would have to be pretty naïve to not consider this before putting it through stresses that could bend it, like shoving it in a tight pocket (front or back) and then sitting down. I hear this, and think “get a clue.” While I do expect some level of durability from a device, I also do realize that I should take care. But many more people are far less mindful, and some are even just plain dense.

As far as correcting it, that’s great: Apple will have less dumb asses breaking their devices and blaming Apple. More and more people are abdicated taking personal responsibility for their actions and suffer from “blame damage” these days. Sure someone might run to defend the iPhone 6 series fragility citing something akin to “it should be mil-spec.” However, the bulk added isn’t worth the trade off for most, and for those that do: mil-spec cases are only 10% of the least expensive iPhone’s cost.

This isn’t like the antenna problem of the 4, where the apple engineer who designed the antenna system was ignorant of how skin contact changes an antenna characteristics, this is all “PBPAG” (Problem between phone and ground—like “PBKAC” in the era of desktop computers).

The last Q: “how can someone tell by handling?” A: it’s not the handling: it’s that they know what material the new casing is made of. Thus, they know the tensile strength of the new material. So, it’s not hard to calculate the percentage increase or decrease in strength based on measuring the new materials thickness vs. the tensile strength & thickness of the 6/6s case material.

• Reply 33 of 35
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Space gray. Other colors have antenna in white which gets dirty noticeably.

Yeah, at present, that's it. We'll see what they offer in October - they've slightly changed color options between generations before.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    technarchytechnarchy Posts: 296member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

Don't be silly. Thinness has to be the absolute top priority over everything else, duh!

I absolutely despise this pointless pursuit of "thin". It's about as annoying as the android screen size wars that lasted the last 4 years and seems to have died down recently.

• Reply 35 of 35
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

I absolutely despise this pointless pursuit of "thin". It's about as annoying as the android screen size wars that lasted the last 4 years and seems to have died down recently.

Thin is in Fat is out.