Apple's Back to School 2015 promo offers $200 Beats Solo2 headphones with purchase of new Mac

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    YES!

Loving how this has predictably gotten the trolls in a tizzy, and all the salty tears in this thread. Especially people who state they'd prefer a $10 gift card, cause it's not like they call SELL the headphones for &150+, right?

Tell you what, anyone who doesn't want their Beats can send them to me and I'll send you $10, we both win. Hell, I'll even make it $20.
  • Reply 22 of 69
    slurpy wrote: »
    YES!

Loving how this has predictably gotten the trolls in a tizzy, and all the salty tears in this thread. Especially people who state they'd prefer a $10 gift card, cause it's not like they call SELL the headphones for &150+, right?

Tell you what, anyone who doesn't want their Beats can send them to me and I'll send you $10, we both win. Hell, I'll even make it $20.

sog35 wrote: »
    I agree.  All trolls are out in force.

I don't get all hate for Beats.  Sometimes I wonder if its just because its an urban brand and represented by Dre.  Some people are just scared of young black men getting rich and famous.  

My dislike of Beats has nothing to do with Dre or race so let's leave that out of this discussion. It's that the headphones and subsequently the sound quality are mediocre.
  • Reply 23 of 69
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Students want cool headphones, but they want an education discount more!

Good thing they get both, then...
  • Reply 24 of 69
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member

Pretty much the same issues with Apple Music that I have. I went back to Google Play Music.
  • Reply 25 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

But the sound quality is not mediocre, it is very good.  Is it the best for the price?  Hell no.  The Solo2 got great ratings across the board.  

The mix of good sound quality, style, and brand prestige is unmatched at $200.

Thus your hate for Beats is irrational and can only be fueled by irrational thought.

Think so?

https://www.google.com/search?q=beats+by+dre+mediocre&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

https://www.google.com/search?q=beats+by+dre+audio+quality&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

• Reply 26 of 69
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Possible NYT/BI headline: Apple's Beats struggling. Headphones given away with steep discount.
  • Reply 27 of 69

Uh, you know you can get a million hits when you lazily throw in "X sucks" or "X is mediocre" in Google, including every single Apple product ever made- right? It's absolutely laughable and embarrassing for you that you would use that as empirical "evidence" of anything, and pretend you've won the debate. Beats, like every other extremely popular and successful product, is going to get a shitload of hate. Just like every Apple product. 

• Reply 28 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Imo students want a rebate a lot more than a pair of headphones... Thats a pretty bad deal.

Wow. Care to share the results of your survey with us?

• Reply 29 of 69
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Hmm...if I had a choice between free Beats headphones or $200 off a new rMB I'd chose the latter. But I'm sure Apple wants Beats headphones seen all over college campuses.

I thought the headphones were in addition to the education pricing? If so, those headphones aren't a bad deal. Especially the upgrade for the wireless headphones. More than likely it is the parents shelling out the money for the computers anyway unless you are a grad student or faculty member, so education pricing plus a free or discounted set of headphones for the kids isn't a bad deal. We are talking about college kids anyway, not audiophiles. If the kids like them, then it's a good promotion.
  • Reply 30 of 69
    sog35 wrote: »
    exactly.

Most people 'hate' Apple products because they are jealous or can't afford to buy them.

But Lord Amhran is an Apple fan (since he's on this site) yet he has bitter rage for Beats.  That means its not jealously or he can't afford them.  It is an irrational hate fueled by something irrational.  Could it be RACISM?  Maybe.
    Like I said racisim has nothing to do with my dislike of Beats headphones. The audio quality IS mediocre, which if you weren't to lazy to read one of the links you'd find out. There are VASTLY better audio-quality headphones out there that cost far less so spare me the irrational and racisim comments please.

I was going to post one or two of the links but I have a feeling you''ll dismiss them out of hand regardless of the content.
  • Reply 31 of 69
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

I thought the headphones were in addition to the education pricing?

They are, but educational pricing doesn't apply to phones and the iPad deals can usually be beat. People are being imprecise, "discount" = the previous Apple Store credit which also applied to phones and iPads, which the current deal does not.

• Reply 32 of 69
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

The current generation of Beats headphones is actually pretty good. Anyone harboring an opinion of these based on previous Beats headphones would do well to check out the current crop; especially the Solo2 models.

Whether they're worth the coin, or whether a pair of Solo2s is a deal compared to past Back-to-School promotions, I'll leave that for you guys to argue... ;-)

Actually, they are pieces of garbage.  Cheap components, glued together, and here is the kicker...pieces of metal added to make them heavier so the consumer is fooled to think they are higher quality because they are weigh more.  Apparently, they have you fooled because you think they are pretty good.  They are worth less than $20.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/beats-by-dre-headphones-teardown-finds-metal-parts-included-just-to-add-weight/ ;

• Reply 33 of 69

Very smart. Cost next to nothing to make and give the appearance of $200 of value to customer. Even higher margins for Apple, much more than giving away an iPod Touch.

• Reply 34 of 69
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Most people 'hate' Apple products because they are jealous or can't afford to buy them.

No, that is your arrogant and spoiled brat attitude.  

• Reply 35 of 69

Luckily, they are not giving away subscriptions to Apple Music.

Jim Dalrymple of The Loop has pretty much been an Apple cheerleader all around and all along, often, at least to me, rationalizing for Apple misteps. However, he came down hard on Apple Music, for a number of reasons, with a posting "Apple Music is a nightmare and I'm done with it". Worse, he says it's not likely to be fixed anytime soon.

Enjoy your headphones and pass on Apple Music.

• Reply 36 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Actually, they are pieces of garbage.  Cheap components, glued together, and here is the kicker...pieces of metal added to make them heavier so the consumer is fooled to think they are higher quality because they are weigh more.  Apparently, they have you fooled because you think they are pretty good.  They are worth less than $20.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/beats-by-dre-headphones-teardown-finds-metal-parts-included-just-to-add-weight/ ;

As soon as I saw your name, I knew your post would be completely full of shit, and of course you never disappoint. 

That link you posted has been completely discredited. Not only were they clueless about the "metal parts to add weight" trash (these are at the stress points and would snap if plastic), these weren't even real Beats headphones, but Chinese knockoffs: 

http://www.core77.com/posts/38467/[-BREAKING-NEWS-]-Uh-Oh-Beats-Teardown-Apparently-Used-Beats-Knockoffs

http://bgr.com/2015/06/28/apple-beats-headphones-knockoffs-differences/

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=beats teardown fake

http://consumerist.com/2015/07/13/beats-headphones-from-that-famous-teardown-were-actually-counterfeit/

How sad is it that people like you need to resort to spreading lies in order to make a discredited and false argument? Unfortunately, truth and facts are not your strong suit, so I wouldn't expect you to aknowledge or admit anything. Keep spewing your garbage. 

Video Re: "Metal parts just to add weight: 

Even ignoring all of that, there's nothing more childish and assinine than claiming that a product should cost as much as the raw materials. 

Make sure whatever you do, don't take back anything you said in light of these new facts. You now need to dig in, or move the goalposts and change the argument, as dishonest trolls like you do. Wait, you already know that of course. 

• Reply 37 of 69
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    [@]hillstones[/@], this is where you offer up a mea culpa to show that you're intentionally trying to troll the forum.

junior99 wrote: »
    Luckily, they are not giving away subscriptions to Apple Music.

Jim Dalrymple of The Loop has pretty much been an Apple cheerleader all around and all along, often, at least to me, rationalizing for Apple misteps. However, he came down hard on Apple Music, for a number of reasons, with a posting "Apple Music is a nightmare and I'm done with it". Worse, he says it's not likely to be fixed anytime soon.

Enjoy your headphones and pass on Apple Music.

Did you not read how he fucked himself or did you completely ignore that part?

"I trusted my data to Apple and they failed. I also failed by not backing up my library before installing Apple Music. I will not make either of those mistakes again."

I don't trust the opinion of anyone that foolish. That guy gets paid for his expertise and insights into tech, right?
  • Reply 38 of 69

I may be an old fart now, but if I was heading to college today at the nice young age of 18-21 I'd be pretty stoked to get a laptop Mac at an educational discount with a free pair of Solo2's (in blue). I might even bump up to the wireless model. 8-)

The Solo2's have been improved over the earlier models, and they are stylish - even to my 51-year-old eyes. Sure, I'd love a nice pair of Sennheiser's, but that would require me shelling out $200-500+ out-of-pocket.

And for all the "audiophiles" out there, I've spent many years in bars, clubs, concerts, band gigs. As I've gotten older my ears aren't quite what they used to be - due to natural deterioration caused by age and abuse from constant high volume exposure. Most of you (not all, but most) wouldn't know the differences between most headphones and speakers unless you're in a pristine environment with impeccably made (and expensive) equipment. In that instance, these free headphones aren't for you. 

Boo-effin'-Hoo! Get over yourselves, already. :err:

These headphones have a target demographic, have been improved, and expands the Apple brand and awareness. Works well for me and my modest amount of Apple stock that I purchased before latest year's 7:1 stock split (equivalent stock value at purchase: $84/share then to now over $125/per).

Loving that 50% increase in stock value in just a little over a year's time. ;)

GO APPLE!!! :D 

• Reply 39 of 69
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Like I said racisim has nothing to do with my dislike of Beats headphones. The audio quality IS mediocre, which if you weren't to lazy to read one of the links you'd find out. There are VASTLY better audio-quality headphones out there that cost far less so spare me the irrational and racisim comments please.

I was going to post one or two of the links but I have a feeling you''ll dismiss them out of hand regardless of the content.

The only overwhelmingly negative comments about Beats I've read come from forums where people just know or heard from someone or claimed they bought Beats by Dre when they first came out. Do you have any experience with any of the Solo<sup>2</sup>, Solo<sup>2</sup> Wireless, Studio, Studio Wireless, Urbeats, Tour, Powerbeats<sup>2</sup>, or Powerbeats<sup>2</sup> Wireless?
  • Reply 40 of 69

You can always tell those people who have zero character (probably extends to real life as well), by the fact that they will never, ever admit to being wrong, even when their statements have been shredded to bits from every conceivable angle. 

I will never hesitate for a second to admit I was wrong, when I am confronted with undeniable, factual evidence to that effect. Sadly, trolls like hillstones, who have zero integrity and honesty, conveniently disappear when this happens, or worse, they attempt to muddy things even further. And then, they will pop into some other future thread pretending as if nothing happened, spouting more bullshit about some other subject.