Apple removes Nest Learning Thermostat from online, retail stores in potential HomeKit push

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2015
A pair of reports this week made note of Apple's apparent decision to remove Google's Nest Learning Thermostat from its online and brick-and-mortar stores, leaving only smart home devices compatible with HomeKit available for purchase.

The change was first spotted on Apple's online storefront by Fortune, which reported on Wednesday that all Nest products were no longer for sale. A quick check confirms that while text autofill options for "Nest Learning Thermostat" and "Nest Protect" show up in the Online Apple Store's quick search bar, those same products are nowhere to be found on Apple's website.

An update to that story quoted a Nest spokesperson as saying, "Apple is a valued partner to Nest and our new products will be available through Apple and other retail channels in the coming weeks." The publication added Apple's plans seem to include stocking of Nest Protect and Nest Cam (formerly known as Dropcam), but not the Learning Thermostat.

A separate report from Mashable on Thursday serves as confirmation of the product's removal. An Apple spokesperson told the publication that it removed Nest's connected thermostat from both its online store and brick-and-mortar locations earlier this month. This is the second time Apple has stopped sales of Nest's device, but the recent change appears to be permanent.

The Apple Store was one Nest's first promoters and began stocking the device as an exclusive partner in 2012. Since then, Apple made headway into the smart home space with HomeKit, an iOS-based framework for controlling "Internet of Things" devices. Earlier this month, Apple Stores initiated sales of ecobee3, the world's first HomeKit-enabled thermostat.

Nest Labs was cofounded by former Apple executives Tony Fadell and Matt Rogers. Fadell, who some consider the "godfather of the iPod," would go on to recruit a number of employees from Apple's talent pool. Nest was ultimately sold to Google in 2013 for $3.2 billion.

While Nest products are not compatible with HomeKit they do work with iOS, and the firm counts a substantial number of iPhone owners among its customer base. More recently, Google announced a competing IoT platform called Brillo, which was developed with help from the Nest team.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member

Just as well. I'm on my third Nest thermostat warranty replacement due to inaccurate humidity sensors, an unresponsive unit, and an assortment of other annoyances. Most of the problems have been firmware related and increased after Google absorbed Nest. I really wanted to love this device, but it's turned into one of my more regrettable purchases. It may have the design and appearance of an Apple-class product, but the performance (at least in my experience) and reliability has been anything but. My brother has one that often goes dead and has to be removed from the wall and recharged.

• Reply 2 of 43
    buckalecbuckalec Posts: 203member
    Hope the "Godfather" feels the financial pain. Godfather my arse (some CNBC producer looking for something catchy in his lower third) , inspired by Braun and it was Schiller who conceived the click wheel if I'm not mistaken.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

According to Mashable, the Homekit that Apple promote is Ecobee 3. Homekit is not really attractive yet at this price point. I mean Ecobee 3 at $250 to monitor a room temperature is really ridiculous. My body can feel the comfortable ambient in the room without the need of a thermostat. 

At least now Ecobee 3 is the only one include a remote sensor with the smart thermostat for this price, not Nest or whatever.

These products should drop to $100 to sell.

• Reply 4 of 43
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Mine works fine but I don't use their iOS app anymore. I assume lots of original iPhone owners of Nest products are doing the same thing.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Good, took long enough. Google owned spyware products do not below in Apple Stores. 

• Reply 6 of 43
    cxc273cxc273 Posts: 46member

I got my Nest before it was bought by Google and it's worked pretty flawlessly. That being said, I'm certainly not a Google or Android fan.

I also have a Dropcam that I bought, yes, before the company was purchased by Google. It, too, works pretty well.

I'm hoping HomeKit vendors come up with stuff as good or better. I'm thinking about building a new house and would love to see some cool products I can integrate that are more secure that what I've currently got.

• Reply 7 of 43
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    In the book Becoming Steve Jobs there is this tidbit:

[QUOTE]“Fadell is not remembered fondly in the Apple executive boardroom. When certain Apple higher-ups speak of him now, they sneer at the designer of “that little thermostat.”[/QUOTE]

And let's not forget when Nest sold to Google Phil Schiller unfollowed Fadell on Twitter. I'm surprised they lasted in Apple stores as long as they did.
  • Reply 8 of 43

My first gen Nest has been great, haven't had any issues with it. I've been slowly automating my house with Phillips Hues, Kiddie Smoke Alarms and the Wink hub. Wink didn't have the best of reviews, but it has worked flawlessly for me and has given me lots of fun things to try. I don't want to invest too heavily in Wink because I'm not sure what Apple will do, so hopefully they don't drag their feet too long getting this going.

• Reply 9 of 43
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    So, what are the alternatives? Ecobee only? I've been through a couple things through alarm.com via z-wave. Nice hardware units, but z-wave is such a crappy system. Then I tried rolling my own with Indigo server software and then Vera hardware. While this opened the door to more devices, it also brought with it the requirement that I do my own scripting and programming for anything but the most basic features.

I'm sure that I could do something amazing if I took the time to learn how to script and program, but this isn't why I'm a fan of apple.

What's the best HomeKit replacement for Nest? Anything on the horizon worth waiting for?
  • Reply 10 of 43
    tknulltknull Posts: 33member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

According to Mashable, the Homekit that Apple promote is Ecobee 3. Homekit is not really attractive yet at this price point. I mean Ecobee 3 at $250 to monitor a room temperature is really ridiculous. My body can feel the comfortable ambient in the room without the need of a thermostat. 

At least now Ecobee 3 is the only one include a remote sensor with the smart thermostat for this price, not Nest or whatever.

These products should drop to $100 to sell.

Agreed.  I just bought three decent programmable thermostats... about $75 each.  I would have been willing to pay up to around $100 each... or a tad more... but $250+ each is just not realistic for me.

• Reply 11 of 43

Don' really care about the 'spats' now that Google owns Nest or the fanboys who suddenly think they are evil and ripping them off the walls because Apple didn't close the deal first.

I have two, both have worked very well with no problems and I quite like them and will continue to do so. Don't see the fuss. 

• Reply 12 of 43
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by buckalec View Post

Hope the "Godfather" feels the financial pain. Godfather my arse (some CNBC producer looking for something catchy in his lower third) , inspired by Braun and it was Schiller who conceived the click wheel if I'm not mistaken.

You are mistaken. Synaptics invented the click-wheel for the iPod, the mini, to be exact.  Apple did not conceive the idea.

• Reply 13 of 43
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Good, took long enough. Google owned spyware products do not below in Apple Stores. 

Next time, read the article.  Apple will continue to sell the Google/Nest products.  Oh, you think Apple doesn't have privacy issues?  Guess again.  Anything in the cloud has privacy issues, along with their wordy terms of service agreements...but every one accepts them.

• Reply 14 of 43
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    hillstones wrote: »
    Oh, you think Apple doesn't have privacy issues?  Guess again.  Anything in the cloud has privacy issues...

So you're equating the potential for info being stolen with Google's Morlockian business model of selling our Eloian habits to their actual customers?
  • Reply 15 of 43
    My nests integrate perfectly with my Lutron Caseta app that is HomeKit enabled. The nest may not be HomeKit comparable but at least I can view and adjust temperature from one app (Luton)
  • Reply 16 of 43
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Don' really care about the 'spats' now that Google owns Nest or the fanboys who suddenly think they are evil and ripping them off the walls because Apple didn't close the deal first.

I have two, both have worked very well with no problems and I quite like them and will continue to do so. Don't see the fuss. 

We like ours a lot, too.

• Reply 17 of 43
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    Al Franken needs to open an investigation into Apple's store policies that are unfair to competition.
  • Reply 18 of 43

Question is, will Nest become HomeKit compatible?!

• Reply 19 of 43
    One more reason not to buy Nest is the connection with google - it's another way for them to collect data...
  • Reply 20 of 43

I recently installed the Lutron Caseta hub that is HomeKit compatible.  I can say it works wonderfully and am extremely pleased with the system.  It is also Nest Compatible as well as Alarm.com, logitech Harmony, URC and many others. (I also can change my lights through my Logitech remote.)  I login to the Nest account through the Lutron App.  I can view the current temp and raise and lower the temperature only through the Lutron App. If I want to change the schedule or look into the Nest history I must use the Nest App.  I highly recommend people look into the Lutron HomeKit system to see if it would fit your needs/desires.