Honda says CarPlay to share dash space with Android Auto in 2016 Accord

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2015
Honda on Thursday announced that the 2016 model year Accord will be its first car to support CarPlay, making good on a promise from March of last year to bring Apple's iOS-powered infotainment platform to its auto lineup.

As reported by Re/code, Honda unveiled the 2016 Accord at its research center in Mountain View, Calif. in front of gathered mainstream and tech press. The automaker chose the venue as a nod to Silicon Valley's impact on the automotive industry, the publication said.

While Accord offers support for both CarPlay and Google's Android Auto platform, the car's infotainment system is running a modified version of Android. CarPlay and Android Auto can be thought of as smartphone-powered user interfaces that piggyback on top of a main operating system. For example, Ford's SYNC 3 touchscreen console runs Blackberry QNX, but will soon offer support for CarPlay.

Honda was one of the first carmakers to pledge support for CarPlay when Apple officially introduced the product last March. The announcement came just months after Honda introduced Display Audio, an infotainment system that offered deep integration with iPhone.

Apple's CarPlay has seen a windfall of support over the past few months as automakers let loose details on their respective 2016 model year lineups. Most recently, General Motors in June announced upcoming support for 2016 GM and Buick models just after its Chevrolet brand revealed CarPlay integration for this year's Corvette Z06.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    This isn't unexpected which is why I said years ago that Apple should use their position to design an template that would allow all automakers and mobile OSes to work with so you freely choose the automaker and smartphone maker of your choice. The former is clearly happening, and hopefully the latter is also in place, but so far all we only know that Android Auto is following in the footsteps of CarPlay.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member

Meanwhile, the photo above shows CarPlay running on a Honda Civic.

• Reply 3 of 24
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    I have right to say few words as a long time Honda and Toyota owner. Good job Honda and shame on you Toyota !!!
    I don't care all of the Carplay or Android Auto functionalities other than few like phone/text, music and Map's mirroring from smartphone to car's display. For years, auto manufacturers lagged behind in maps update to their own dash board map version. Moreover, they charged several thousand for just map update. It's time to step aside little and let these Apple, Google guys provide at minimum phone, music and maps functionality from smartphone to cars. Rest you guys can keep to your chest.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    I echo wood1208's comments. Too many car manufacturers have ignored the lesson of successful technology which starts as hardware (Wang word processors, Sun Micro workstations, big hard drive units for storage) and get supplanted by more nimble, less expensive, and more powerful software solutions (WordPerfect & Word, PC's, and Dropbox).

For way too long, greedy car companies offered clumsy, ultra expensive,static GPS systems that were obsolete as soon as they delivered to the customer. If a consumer kept a car for five or six years, it was like having an iPhone 2 in an iPhone 6 era. Carplay smartly allows heavily invested & loyal cellphone users to use familiar, well-tested, and dynamic apps supplied by those who are expert in the industry--Apple & Google--to allow their customers to have a state of the art experience throughout the several years they may own their car. Bravo, Honda, and Boo, Toyota!

I for one an holding off my car purchase so I can buy my next car with Carplay
  • Reply 5 of 24
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wood1208 View Post

I have right to say few words as a long time Honda and Toyota owner. Good job Honda and shame on you Toyota !!!

I don't care all of the Carplay or Android Auto functionalities other than few like phone/text, music and Map's mirroring from smartphone to car's display. For years, auto manufacturers lagged behind in maps update to their own dash board map version. Moreover, they charged several thousand for just map update. It's time to step aside little and let these Apple, Google guys provide at minimum phone, music and maps functionality from smartphone to cars. Rest you guys can keep to your chest.

Huh? There is no auto manufacturer in the world that charges several thousand for a map update. Most auto companies update their maps on a yearly basis. I get a new SD map card every year for $40 for one of my vehicles. 

• Reply 6 of 24
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post

Meanwhile, the photo above shows CarPlay running on a Honda Civic.

More specifically, a 2014 model Civic, which quickly became vaporware as CarPlay never made it to any Honda.  Now Honda claims the 2016 Accord (higher trim levels) will be their first vehicle to feature CarPlay, on their updated DisplayAudio+ head unit.  Over on the Civic forums, a tweet from Honda alleges they have no plans to offer CarPlay in a software update for the 2014 and 2015 DisplayAudio head units, even though it was advertised with those units.  The Honda DisplayAudio unit is not well received because there are no buttons.  You must take your eyes off the road to operate the unit, which is not a good idea while driving.  

• Reply 7 of 24
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wood1208 View Post

WTF are you talking about?  Thousands of dollars for a map update?  You are so full of crap, especially if you claim to own Hondas and Toyotas.  The maps are updated yearly, and the price for the map update is $149 regular, or $99 on sale, which occurs often throughout the year.  They never lagged behind in map updates.  For example, a 2003-2005 Accord with Nav just received its end-of-life map in 2014.  Pretty good for a car that is 10-12 years old.  2006 models and newer will continue to receive map updates for years to come.  So how is that lagging behind?  Sounds like none of your cars had Navigation and you have no idea what you are talking about.

• Reply 8 of 24
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

WTF are you talking about?  Thousands of dollars for a map update?  You are so full of crap, especially if you claim to own Hondas and Toyotas.  The maps are updated yearly, and the price for the map update is $149 regular, or $99 on sale, which occurs often throughout the year.  They never lagged behind in map updates.  For example, a 2003-2005 Accord with Nav just received its end-of-life map in 2014.  Pretty good for a car that is 10-12 years old.  2006 models and newer will continue to receive map updates for years to come.  So how is that lagging behind?  Sounds like none of your cars had Navigation and you have no idea what you are talking about.

Wow, you have quite the gall to tell people they are "full of crap", after the garbage you continually spew here, not the least of which is to bash a product by linking to a teardown of another product- and then never answering for that. It's also interesting that you're completely cool with an annual fee of $150 for a simple mapping update. 

• Reply 9 of 24
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Only the Accord? Get your shit together, Honda...
  • Reply 10 of 24
    That's all well and good for the 2016 Accord, but what about the seeming bait & switch tactics (CarPlay with a future firmware upgrade) used by Honda to sell 2014/15/16 cars with the DA unit?

Honda announced CarPlay participation in 2014, allowed Apple to use images of their vehicle on the CarPlay home page, did a well known paid public beta, and dealer personnel as well as corporate personnel alluded to and supported the idea that existing vehicles with the new Display Audio unit would eventually get a firmware upgrade.

Folks bought cars based on the bait of those assurances, and only in the last few weeks has Honda switched their statements to "no backward upgrades" and "select 2016 vehicles only".

I think Honda needs to see a class action lawsuit, from owners of 2014/15/16 vehicles with Display Audio but w/o CarPlay, to remind them of their former orientation toward the surprise & delight that breeds customer satisfaction and loyalty.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member

The next-generation 2017 Honda Ridgeline that should be arriving by May 2016 is expected to support CarPlay as well.

• Reply 12 of 24
    That's all well and good for the 2016 Accord, but what about the seeming bait & switch tactics (CarPlay with a future firmware upgrade) used by Honda to sell 2014/15/16 cars with the DA unit?

Honda announced CarPlay participation in 2014, allowed Apple to use images of their vehicle on the CarPlay home page, did a well known paid public beta, and dealer personnel as well as corporate personnel alluded to and supported the idea that existing vehicles with the new Display Audio unit would eventually get a firmware upgrade.

Folks bought cars based on the bait of those assurances, and only in the last few weeks has Honda switched their statements to "no backward upgrades" and "select 2016 vehicles only".

I think Honda needs to see a class action lawsuit, from owners of 2014/15/16 vehicles with Display Audio but w/o CarPlay, to remind them of their former orientation toward the surprise & delight that breeds customer satisfaction and loyalty.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    What's up w my posts being held for moderation? I think Honda has treated customers shabbily by promoting and not (until recently) discouraging the idea that the 2014-16 vehicles with the new DA set-up like Fit and HRV would get a firmware upgrade. I think such tactics are worthy of a class-action suit and don't see where this is in any way in appropriate.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member
    Like putting a nice diamond in a gold plated setting
  • Reply 15 of 24
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    @Boltsfan17 and @hillstones: how much did you guys pay for the last Google Maps or Apple Maps update?
  • Reply 16 of 24
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertWalter View Post

There really is no good reason why they can't  offer a retrofit for 2014 and 2015 cars. They are simply choosing not to.  That is no Bueno.

• Reply 17 of 24

Usual suspects doing hit and runs (no pun intended). Automaker map updates are usually done by a third party (Navteq), and they charge what they do because of 1: limited markets, not everyone buys the updates, and 2: Because they can; deal with it. They usually do more than patch a few roads in the latest version. It's not like you're required to buy every update either, the manufacturer will list exactly what areas were improved and what features were added, and the user can decide whether they want to spring for the update or not. If you live in Tulsa and the update improves Los Angeles and San Francisco primarily, skip it.

And Google Maps is not free, and Apple still has yet to improve their map search and POI data, so...if I had the choice, I'd stick with the in-car setup, which I've generally found (in Honda's case, so Navteq again) to be quite accurate. 

• Reply 18 of 24
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    ... they charge what they do because of 1: limited markets, not everyone buys the updates, and 2: Because they can
  • Reply 19 of 24
    gatorguy wrote: »

Apple fans aren't in a place to claim something is a ripoff when Apple sells computers with 2012 internals for more than $1000. :lol:
  • Reply 20 of 24
    aeleggaelegg Posts: 99member

Someone posted Honda's CarPlay would be available on the Accord's "highest trim levels", which I both understand and don't-understand.

When heated seats were invented, it was probably luxury cars only, highest trim levels.

Now they're in my Subaru.  So I get it that things start out premium, and then trickle down.

The other side has merit to me though. Honda Odyssey minivan recently invented/offered an on-board vaccuum.  Great for families with kids.  GREAT.

Imagine using it as a brand differentiator.  "I want that HONDA for the Vac".  Since Minivans are largely the same, and Toyota Van is also good-quality, shouldn't it build the Brand?

But the Vac was only on the Limited model. $45,000 or more out the door.  Really?  They really need the higher profit margin to get the R&D money back?  C'Mon.

From a Brand point of view, Ford's Sync (MS based crap or not) is probably spread across all their cars, to build the whole Brand.

Anyway, you'd hope a major vendor would go with Commonality and Brand-building by doing what Apple does and make it better/easier for the CUSTOMER as their guiding philosophy, across their whole line.

Maybe Mazda someday.  Get a little iZoom-Zoom going on....