Apple throws clout behind Equality Act blocking discrimination against LGBT Americans

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

Crime happening or no, my daughter should not be subject to seeing some guys junk simply because he wants to pee in her bathroom. And he shouldnt be privy to seeing her in that private a setting.

It's difficult enugh raising kids right. they don't need temptation at every turn.

enough already.

You didn't read a fracking thing I put down, not one thing.

Must be horrible being afraid all the time of imaginary things, while ignoring real problems.

Good thing I didn't raise my own children to be bigoted twits scared all the time of the boogeyman,.

• Reply 22 of 64
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    9secondko wrote: »
    Crime happening or no, my daughter should not be subject to seeing some guys junk simply because he wants to pee in her bathroom. And he shouldnt be privy to seeing her in that private a setting.

It's difficult enugh raising kids right. they don't need temptation at every turn.

enough already.
    Why would your daughter see a guy's junk in the bathroom unless he is deliberately exposing himself to her (a crime)? Women's bathrooms do not have urinals.
  • Reply 23 of 64
    slurpy wrote: »
    You can have all the fucking personal beliefs you want, as long as you don't infringe on the freedom of others. But people like you want to shove their personal beliefs down the throats of others, and decide what they can and can't do- and everything you believe they shouldn't be able to do, always falls in the category of things you yourself can do- conveniently.

Oh so it's only ok for you and the LGBT to impose their beliefs on us?

Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear declines to hold special session to create accommodations for clerks not wanting to perform same-sex marriages, says they need to comply with the court’s ruling.

“Christian Colleges’ Right to Deny Married Housing for Gay Couples Is ‘on the Edge of the Indefensible,’ Barry Lynn Asserts”

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/01/07/atlanta-fire-chief-was-fired-because-my-christian-faith.html
  • Reply 24 of 64
    londorlondor Posts: 258member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ExceptionHandler View Post

Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear declines to hold special session to create accommodations for clerks not wanting to perform same-sex marriages, says they need to comply with the court’s ruling.

“Christian Colleges’ Right to Deny Married Housing for Gay Couples Is ‘on the Edge of the Indefensible,’ Barry Lynn Asserts”

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/01/07/atlanta-fire-chief-was-fired-because-my-christian-faith.html

Are you really that stupid? Nobody is imposing anything on anyone. One of your jobs as a clerk is to perform marriages. If your religious convictions don't permit you to carry out the job you are being paid for then you will have to look for another job. It's quite simple to understand.

• Reply 25 of 64

Does Apple also support Sharia law?

Where does does Apple stand with regards to gun control?

• Reply 26 of 64
    flaneur wrote: »
    But opposing support for the granting of civil rights to a previously marginalized group is so perverse and unenlightened that you could indeed call it trivial.

To see how history makes "conservatism" look absurd, here's George Wallace in his 1963 inaugeral speech as governor of Tim Cook's home state of Alabama:

Corporations in the age of television and electronic media have often shown themselves to be ahead of large numbers of the general population when it comes to social enlightenment. It's good business. But that's another story of cultural ecology. I keep telling you guys, you have to read Marshall McLuhan, and you have to take Steve Jobs's advice and take your medicine. You're virgins arguing about whether sex is worthwhile.

This is not civil rights. Civil rights refers to immutable characteristics a person has, such as ethnicity, skin color, and birth assigned gender (can't believe I have to qualify that). It doesn't matter how much wants to change their gender, how much they change their appearance, or how much they act the part, who they are attracted to - it is what you choose to do - aka a its "mutable". You are still male or female because you haven't changed your genes (xx, xy). All they've done is mutilate their body to appease their desire to be something they can never change under the covers. Being gay and pretending to change genders are choices; they are hardly immutable characteristics. This is not civil rights.
  • Reply 27 of 64
    Quote:

This is not civil rights. Civil rights refers to immutable characteristics a person has, such as ethnicity, skin color, and birth assigned gender (can't believe I have to qualify that). It doesn't matter how much wants to change their gender, how much they change their appearance, or how much they act the part, who they are attracted to - it is what you choose to do - aka a its "mutable". You are still male or female because you haven't changed your genes (xx, xy). All they've done is mutilate their body to appease their desire to be something they can never change under the covers. Being gay and pretending to change genders are choices; they are hardly immutable characteristics. This is not civil rights.

If sexuality is a choice then at what point in your life did you choose to be straight?

• Reply 28 of 64
    That’s obviously false; your feelings end where my rights begin. The point of government is to balance freedom with damage to others.

Actually the point of our government is to protect our country from invasion and to preserve our freedoms and that's it. But it's grown into a big nanny telling people what they can and can't do. As far as I'm concerned there are only two laws we should even recognize: don't harm anyone else, and don't harm/steal/destroy someone else's property. All other laws are total BS.
  • Reply 29 of 64
    Quote:

When I was little, I ws taught that playing make believe was ok. but there is a time to knock it off.

But we live in an era where grown adults are stuck in a make believe infinite loop and try to pass it off as reality.

a man calls himself a woman. it''s not true, but then he is calld "she."

as if cosmtic surgery somehow chages the fundmnetals of who they are, chromosomes be damned...

a white woman sas she is black, and it's not lying,... it's just how she "identifies..."

sheesh. enough is ennough already.

These people don't need even more room to step all over everyone elses morals just because they want to live out a fantasy.

That is not right, progressive, or forward anything. It is just plain sad.

Agreed.  The KKK are getting ridiculous in this day and age.  

What will make them realize this fake tribalism is garbage?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/black-police-chief-helps-protester-in-nazi-tshirt-at-kkk-protest-with-heatstroke-10399604.html

• Reply 30 of 64
    londor wrote: »
    If sexuality is a choice then at what point in your life did you choose to be straight?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4vC9TmUm5o

You don't get to choose whether your male or female. That's a civil rights issue because that is immutable. That is determined at biologically at conception. Having a sexual preference is a choice, whether right or wrong, so it's not a civil rights issue. Pretending to be another gender when your not is a choice, so again, not a civil rights issue.
  • Reply 31 of 64
    Quote:

You don't get to choose whether your male or female. That's a civil rights issue because that is immutable. That is determined at biologically at conception. Having a sexual preference is a choice, whether right or wrong, so it's not a civil rights issue. Pretending to be another gender when your not is a choice, so again, not a civil rights issue.

Answer the question, at what point in your life did you choose to be straight?

• Reply 32 of 64
    londor wrote: »

Answer the question, at what point in your life did you choose to be straight?

When I was instructed by my parents and reaffirmed from the bible.
  • Reply 33 of 64
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Along with answering Londor's question, you ought to get to know some gay and trans people before you comment any more on their biological destiny. It's clear you're speaking from ignorance and dogmatic belief. Also, the genetics behind gender are way more complex thn xx and xy. Know before you speak.
  • Reply 34 of 64
    Quote:

When I was instructed by my parents and reaffirmed from the bible.

So you are attracted to both sexes then. Let me break it to you, you are bisexual. That's your sexuality and it's something you didn't choose. What you chose is as a bisexual man to only engage in heterosexual sex.

• Reply 35 of 64
    kaccadkaccad Posts: 2member
    You are misinformed. Sexual preference is not a choice - it's just the way you are wired (and it's not binary - homo vs heterosexual - it's a continuum). As for gender, it is now accepted as fact that there can be a difference between physical gender (to which you are referring and which is immutable as you say at the genetic level) and gender identity, which is how the brain is wired. Neither of these are a choice and just because your experience doesn't encompass an ambiguous sexual preference or gender identity doesn't mean it doesn't exist. People like you with narrow minds and a lack of will to be educated on theses issues are precisely why however we need these types of anti discrimination laws.
  • Reply 36 of 64

Since anyone can claim to be black, male, female whatever. It's going to be interesting now, because according to liberals, whenever anyone is fired from a job they will just claim they belong to a protected class.

I'm surprised liberals aren't standing up more for the transabled. Those folk who chainsaw off their arms (yes, this is true) so that they can more fully identify as disabled.

lol

• Reply 37 of 64
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

When I was little, I ws taught that playing make believe was ok. but there is a time to knock it off.

But we live in an era where grown adults are stuck in a make believe infinite loop and try to pass it off as reality.

a man calls himself a woman. it''s not true, but then he is calld "she."

as if cosmtic surgery somehow chages the fundmnetals of who they are, chromosomes be damned...

a white woman sas she is black, and it's not lying,... it's just how she "identifies..."

sheesh. enough is ennough already.

These people don't need even more room to step all over everyone elses morals just because they want to live out a fantasy.

That is not right, progressive, or forward anything. It is just plain sad.

No one is stepping on your rights as no one is forcing you go change your gender or have sex with someone of the same gender.   No one is forcing you to be with or marry someone of your own gender.   And I would argue (and most experts on the issue would agree) that the fundamentals of how one identifies with gender only has slightly to do with the physical sex organs one was born with.   Almost all people who are transsexual knew from a very young age that they felt of opposite gender and the same is true for most gay and lesbian people - they might not have "come out" until they were older, but they knew they were attracted to people of the same sex when they were very young.   

I really don't understand why you care so much what people do in their bedrooms.   

Your talk of "make believe" is incredibly insulting to those who have faced these issues.    Gender change or coming out is not something someone decides to do on a lark.    

Now I happen to be a heterosexual with children and have lived what most would construe to be a pretty quiet and normative life, but I accept that there are people who are different than I am that deserve the same rights as I have, especially when it comes to employment, which is primarily what this act is about.     Or are you in favor of denying employment to anyone who is different than you?    

• Reply 38 of 64
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRaider2011 View Post

Actually the point of our government is to protect our country from invasion and to preserve our freedoms and that's it. But it's grown into a big nanny telling people what they can and can't do. As far as I'm concerned there are only two laws we should even recognize: don't harm anyone else, and don't harm/steal/destroy someone else's property. All other laws are total BS.

How does the government preserve "our freedoms"? Could it be through laws? What definition of "our freedoms" do we adhere to? Who is "our"?

• Reply 39 of 64
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRaider2011 View Post

I'm having a hard time thinking of any laws that aren't about preserving freedoms, property preservation and not doing harm.     Anti-discrimination laws?  Not harming someone else.    Speeding and other traffic laws?    Nor harming yourself or someone else.    Environmental laws and regulations around food inspection?    The same.    Certification and licensing laws, building codes, chemical safety?   All the same.   

So while people do claim we've become the "nanny state", I don't really see much that doesn't fall into those categories you name.   I suppose you'd claim that the health insurance requirement and Social Security laws are "BS", but without programs like Social Security, we'd have tons of homeless elderly and when people aren't insured, they show up at public and/or voluntary hospitals and taxpayers wind up footing the bill.   I suppose you'd also place any regulations concerning mandatory education into the BS category, but I would maintain that people who don't get an education are being harmed.  

• Reply 40 of 64
    Quote:

If you serve the public, then you need to avoid discriminating against others, regardless of your beliefs. Your personal beliefs should control how YOU act and behave, not control others. Perhaps your children until they reach the age of majority, but certainly not other adults. As a county clerk, your job is to provide marriage licenses. Now that gay marriage is legal, yes, you should provide those as well. You're not being forced into a gay marriage by providing the license.

If we could each just decide based on our beliefs not to provide services to others, there would be a lot of people not getting served.

That story about the fire chief is interesting. Certainly with the little detail Fox News provided, it sounds like a case where his outside activity was used to fire him from his job, but other sources indicate there is more to the story:  http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-atlanta-police-chief-fired-gay-discrimination-20150123-story.html