Honda says CarPlay to share dash space with Android Auto in 2016 Accord

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24

Honda has been one of the slowest of the major car manufacturers to adopt audio tech. They added an auxiliary port and MP3 capabilities years after Toyota and Nissan. They chose not to offer brand name OEM options like Bose, Kenwood, Pioneer, and Sony, even while the Hyundai Accent and Ford pickup trucks did.

Me thinks Honda does this because audio technology doesn't sell cars. They may have been right but they can't ignore it anymore cuz a generation of kids that grew up with white earbuds will be driving soon.

• Reply 22 of 24
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

...Honda DisplayAudio unit is not well received because there are no buttons.  You must take your eyes off the road to operate the unit, which is not a good idea while driving.  

Assuming this true I would hope they do not take away the volume, station/CD button functionality from the steering wheel along with the one touch activation of the hands free control of the phone via voice. I have owned Honda autos for two decades and have found great satisfaction in the Accord's, an Odyssey and a Civic. They have payed attention to details that other manufacturers (especially US car companies before they finally figured out that quality matters) have often copied within a 2-3 year period -- which is fast considering concept to rollout is typically 5 yrs.

I doubt most Honda buyers would accept such a change if it truly means "eyes off the road to operate the unit". That is not acceptable for most adults -- when I was in my twenties and didn't have a family my priorities were different. I wanted a huge V8 with lots of power, a stereo system that could make your ears bleed and a moon roof or a convertible. Now I want safety for myself and my family with quality that will last and good use of every cu inch since that means comfort, convenience and reasonable economics. Honda gives me that and as long as they continue to I will continue to buy from them.

• Reply 23 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AlmondRoca View Post

Honda has been one of the slowest of the major car manufacturers to adopt audio tech. They added an auxiliary port and MP3 capabilities years after Toyota and Nissan. They chose not to offer brand name OEM options like Bose, Kenwood, Pioneer, and Sony, even while the Hyundai Accent and Ford pickup trucks did.

Me thinks Honda does this because audio technology doesn't sell cars. They may have been right but they can't ignore it anymore cuz a generation of kids that grew up with white earbuds will be driving soon.

Pioneer is the Honda OEM for sound systems. Alpine makes the navigation units.

• Reply 24 of 24
    The user and all related content has been deleted.