Apple takes 'If it's not an iPhone' ad campaign online with new minisite

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2015
As part of its 'If it's not an iPhone' ad campaign, Apple on Friday introduced an online minisite touting unique iPhone features, from an unparalleled selection of apps to digital and physical security.

The new minisite is designed to mirror the interactive Web aesthetic Apple applied to pages dedicated to core products like iPhone 6 and, more recently, the new 13-inch MacBook.

At the top is a brief introduction explaining the ethos of iPhone, a device Apple says is something greater than the sum of its parts.
Every iPhone we've made -- and we mean every single one -- was built on the same belief. That a phone should be more than a collection of features. That, above all, a phone should be absolutely simple, beautiful, and magical to use.
As viewers scroll down the page, a single iPhone 6 remains persistent on the left side of the screen, its display cycling through screenshots, motion graphics and apps specific to each of the minisite's 13 feature sections. Following the top module Apple runs through iPhone highlights including hardware/software synchronicity, camera functions, apps, Touch ID, resistance to malware, Apple Pay, health tracking and accessibility functions.

The final section concludes, "And that's why if it's not an iPhone, it's not an iPhone." Three links direct users to purchase, explore more through Apple's main iPhone site and learn how to switch to iOS. Apple has become exceedingly proactive in its pursuit for smartphone owners looking to switch platforms, especially those jumping ship from Android.

Apple's latest iPhone ad blitz focuses on the handset's A pair of TV commercials marked a start to the campaign earlier this month, which was followed up by a spot highlighting the quality and quantity of apps offered on iOS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Tldr
    If it's not an iPhone, it's probably an piece of crap Android phone (unlikely to be a windows phone).
  • Reply 2 of 13
    The campaign appeals to your rational side.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    vfx2k4vfx2k4 Posts: 43member

Where's the beef?

• Reply 4 of 13
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Love it. 

A different version of the legendary Get a Mac ads, and also a very similar take on the If You Don't Have an iPhone ads of 2011.

• Reply 5 of 13
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Maybe this will knock some sense into the knockoff consumers.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Android had good run with large screen smartphones for a while until Apple came and ruined the party. But, more importantly, it provided many previous iphone users and many android users to switch back to iphone they loved but hate dinky screen(from their perspective, not mine). I still love iphone 4s and hope apple someday will come out with another iphone 4s equivalent with VOLTE, VOWIFI and ApplePay with one excuse that Steve Jobs liked it once.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wood1208 View Post

Android had good run with large screen smartphones for a while until Apple came and ruined the party. But, more importantly, it provided many previous iphone users and many android users to switch back to iphone they loved but hate dinky screen(from their perspective, not mine). I still love iphone 4s and hope apple someday will come out with another iphone 4s equivalent with VOLTE, VOWIFI and ApplePay with one excuse that Steve Jobs liked it once.

I recently downgraded to a 5S from a 6 (decided to gift mine to a family member in need of a replacement), and I have to say I definitely wouldn't mind a 4.2" iPhone with the 6 design. Switching back to a smaller phone made me realize how much I appreciate reachability, and if it was just a TAD larger that's probably the phone I would choose. 

• Reply 8 of 13
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    The one thing that Apple tends to underplay but should be bragging about much more in their commercials is the exceptional quality of their online, phone, and in-store customer service/tech support which is unrivaled.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I recently downgraded to a 5S from a 6 (decided to gift mine to a family member in need of a replacement), and I have to say I definitely wouldn't mind a 4.2" iPhone with the 6 design. Switching back to a smaller phone made me realize how much I appreciate reachability, and if it was just a TAD larger that's probably the phone I would choose. 

Besides manageability/reachability of iphone 4/4s; reason I like iPhone 4/4s is it's symmetry of width and height of screen and displaying of contents. When iPhone 5 came out, height of the screen got longer but proportionally width didn't increase but remained same as iphone 4. 

Not sure why Apple could not just stretch screen proportionally in iPhone 5/5s.

• Reply 10 of 13
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    From Daring Fireball:

APPLE AT ITS MOST POMPOUS ?
    From a new iPhone page, “Why There’s Nothing Quite Like iPhone”:

[quote]Also amazing? The fact that there are over a million and a half capable, beautiful, inspiring apps on the App Store. And each and every one was reviewed and approved by a team of real live humans. With great taste. And great suggestions. And great ideas.[/quote]

Yes, thank goodness for those ideas and suggestions from App Store reviewers that make our apps so great. And thanks even more for their great taste that keeps all but the best 100 or so Flappy Bird ripoffs out of the store.

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2015/07/24/great-great-great

Ouch! Revisiting that page I must say even though it is beautifully designed some of the copy is cringe worthy. I can't believe Phil Schiller signed off on it. And Apple really needs to stop touting this million and a half app figure. There are not a million and a half great apps on the app store. There's plenty of garbage out there. Apple should focus on the quality apps it has that other platforms do not (or that have inferior versions). It's not about quantity it's about quality. Same goes for ?Watch. Cook says there are over 8,000 apps for ?Watch. How many of them are actually good all a that should be on the Watch? Again it should be about quality not quantity.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Wow, that's a bad site. The text is ridiculous, and even the design is seriously un-Apple.
    Did they hire a Samsung design team?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
  • Reply 13 of 13

Excellent marketing as usual. One of the reasons Apple is so successful. iOS 9 and the new iPhones need to be better though a apple.