Rumor: Apple's iPad mini 4 will be a miniature iPad Air 2, could launch alongside A9-powered iPad Ai

Posted:
in iPad edited July 2015
A new report out of the Far East claims that Apple's iPad mini 4 will see many of the same upgrades received by the iPad Air 2 last year, only compressed into a much smaller footprint. Meanwhile, a 2015 debut of the iPad Air 3 is said to remain a possibility.

The Japanese-language Macotakara said on Saturday that its industry sources are describing the iPad mini 4 as a shrunken version of the iPad Air 2, with plans calling for the adoption of many of the same specifications, notably a new 8MP iSight camera, A8-series processor, and 802.11ac Wi-Fi.

Additionally, the new iPad mini 4 is rumored to see its thickness shaved down from 7.5mm to match the iPad Air 2's thickness of 6.1mm. It's also likely to gain the Air 2's laminated display with antireflective coating, according to the report.

Separately, the report looks to hedge recent rumors that Apple may forgo an upgrade to the iPad Air this year in order to reduce pressure on manufacturers who will be tasked with pumping out both a 12.9" iPad Pro and all-new iPad mini 4.

Citing sources, it claims that the design footprint -- including the length, width, depth and thickness -- of the iPad Air 3 will remain unchanged from the iPad Air 2, thereby raising the likelihood that an A9-powered version of the tablet will make a simultaneous debut alongside the new iPad mini 4 and iPad Pro this fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    The rumor mill sometimes misses new products when Apple doesn't redesign the case. For example, the new iPod Touch, and the up-spec'd iPad 4 were both surprises that didn't leak earlier.
  • Reply 2 of 78
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Not a big deal if no iPad Airs this fall. It's massively over powered for what it's used for, and can't think of significant upgrades for that form factor. They should focus on the mini and the Pro. A price drop to $399 would be pretty awesome though.
  • Reply 3 of 78

iPad supply issues are tolerable, there's no reason to forgo an Air upgrade. As the A5 phases out we'll need more power.

• Reply 4 of 78
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The rumor mill sometimes misses new products when Apple doesn't redesign the case. For example, the new iPod Touch, and the up-spec'd iPad 4 were both surprises that didn't leak earlier.

Suddenly,

AppleInsider reported on the new iPod Touch in April:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/04/23/apples-dwindling-ipod-lineup-to-see-long-awaited-refresh-this-year

K

• Reply 5 of 78
    Mini, Air, 2, 3, 4.... I am kind of losing track of what is what, tbh (even though I own most of them!).
  • Reply 6 of 78
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    The numbering system is confusing... A year would have been simpler but would remind people that their ipad is "old".
  • Reply 7 of 78
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So it sounds like Apple has decided the mini is always going to be a generation behind the Air.

I love my Air 2 except for the sound vibration. It's such a weird sensation when you're holding the iPad in your hands and your fingers have this tingly feeling because of the sound vibrations. That's why whenever I can I use my iPad with a Bluetooth speaker. Hopefully if we get a new mini they fixed the vibration issue.
  • Reply 8 of 78
    kasper wrote: »

I stand corrected.
  • Reply 9 of 78
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    3 iPad screen sizes and 3 iPhone screen sizes make everyone happy. Even though the sale of Mini was not that great, Apple should still retain it just like keeping 4" iPhone
  • Reply 10 of 78
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Not a big deal if no iPad Airs this fall. It's massively over powered for what it's used for, and can't think of significant upgrades for that form factor. They should focus on the mini and the Pro. A price drop to $399 would be pretty awesome though.

I agree with current Air 2 dropping to $399 would be awesome but why not also bring the rumored stylus capabilities to the Air 3 as well as the 12.9" iPad?
  • Reply 11 of 78
    rogifan wrote: »
    So it sounds like Apple has decided the mini is always going to be a generation behind the Air.

I love my Air 2 except for the sound vibration. It's such a weird sensation when you're holding the iPad in your hands and your fingers have this tingly feeling because of the sound vibrations. That's why whenever I can I use my iPad with a Bluetooth speaker. Hopefully if we get a new mini they fixed the vibration issue.

I've had six iPads of various stripes (including the one I am posting from now). Not one has vibrated.

I guess my data point is at least as relevant as yours?
  • Reply 12 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

I agree with current Air 2 dropping to $399 would be awesome but why not also bring the rumored stylus capabilities to the Air 3 as well as the 12.9" iPad?

For the same reason the 15" MBP gets the discreet GPU option; differentiation.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I've had six iPads of various stripes (including the one I am posting from now). Not one has vibrated.

I guess my data point is at least as relevant as yours?

The Air 2's chassis does tend to vibrate at louder volumes, many reviews commented on this.

• Reply 13 of 78
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    If Apple is smart and Apple is. Alternate upgrade of IPAD Air and Mini every other year. OR, ipad mini gets updated every other year but Ipad Air gets processor upgrade every year and major update every other year like iphone. Ipad is nice productivity device but not must like iphone. You can do some of the productivity o iphone 6 plus but still not as comfortable as larger screen ipad, macbook,laptop etc.
  • Reply 14 of 78
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    I'd just really like them to sync up the iPad Air and iPad Mini internals and specs. I prefer the Minis form and would pay the premium they introduced for higher specs to make it last longer in the stream of updates.

That's what got me to buy a Mini 2, but if they announce another iPad Mini that falls below specs (no real improvements, generate behind processors, skipping things like FT if the Air gets it), I'd be pretty disappointed and would probably hold off longer on replacing.

Plus it makes the product line a lot easier to decode.
  • Reply 15 of 78
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I'm still real happy with my iPad Air 2, but I wouldn't mind seeing an iPad Pro this fall. That's the only thing that will get me to upgrade my iPad this year.

• Reply 16 of 78
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

You're talking about something covered in the one year hardware warranty. There's no reason you cannot walk into an Apple Store and exchange for a new one. That is, unless you just want to honestly complain on this forum.

• Reply 17 of 78
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

That would cut their iPad Pro sales in half. Besides, there's probably hardware differences between the two as well as screen resolution and digitizer for more accurate stylus input.

• Reply 18 of 78
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wigby View Post

You're talking about something covered in the one year hardware warranty. There's no reason you cannot walk into an Apple Store and exchange for a new one. That is, unless you just want to honestly complain on this forum.

That's not a flaw. That's just how it is. The iPad Air 2 definitely vibrates sounds more than previous iPads. I noticed that within 30 seconds of trying the iPad Air 2 for the first time.

I've gotten used to it now, since I've been using the iPad Air 2 since day one. There's a trade off when going to a thinner chassis. If somebody has a big issue with the sound vibration, then they should buy an old, thicker iPad, and their problem will be solved. Of course, their old iPad will be worse in 100 other areas, but that would be their problem. 

• Reply 19 of 78
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    slurpy wrote: »

Massively overpowered for things you do, maybe. But that's just you. Major games need more power and RAM than my current iPad Air 2 has. I use Photo and movie editing apps, and they too can use more memory and power. So do my CAD apps, and painting apps.

I've never understood why some people think that just because they don't need something, no one needs it.
  • Reply 20 of 78
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    wigby wrote: »

The Air 2 vibrates by design, not defect. Warranty doesn't cover that. Thinness comes with trade offs and that is one of them. Mine vibrates too compared to my previous Air, and the phenomenon has been well documented by reviewers at this point so I don't get the contrarianism his statement is being met with. It's not a deal breaker, it just is. I bought a semi hard silicone back cover for mine and that helped a great deal.