New iPod touch vs. iPhone 5s: Apple's latest iPod packs surprising power

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    analogjack wrote: »
    I have a nokia C2 which is simple and tiny, prepaid costs me $19 for 3 months. 

You caught my interest with this comment, but after looking at your location I'm guessing you meant A$19, not $19, is that right?

If there's a prepaid plan in the US where you can pay $19 for 3 months, let me know where it is!
  • Reply 62 of 65
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    blah64 wrote: »
    You caught my interest with this comment, but after looking at your location I'm guessing you meant A$19, not $19, is that right?

If there's a prepaid plan in the US where you can pay $19 for 3 months, let me know where it is!
    Republic Wireless was offering such a plan too at one point. I didn't search to see if they still do.
  • Reply 63 of 65
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Republic Wireless was offering such a plan too at one point. I didn't search to see if they still do.

I just went and read up on Republic Wireless. Very interesting concept, and I wish them good luck. The more variety in phone plans and capabilities we have, the better.

They have plans as cheap as $5/month, and the closest thing to my needs would probably be $10/month. That said, I have no interest in a "smart" phone, but rather, just a plan and a cheap flip phone without "smart" capabilities; I already have a nice iPhone without any data plan that gives me almost everything I want with nothing I don't want. What RW has is very dependent on specific custom android devices, which makes perfect sense, given their needs, but not something I'm likely to choose. In any case, what I'm semi-interested in right now is mostly for other family members.

The $10/month plan they have (unlimited talk/text on Sprint with data over wifi-only) is something I'm going to keep in mind for the future, though from a privacy standpoint I'm very reluctant to use one of their custom android devices. I really doubt one could install CyanogenMod, and I'm not interested in running native android (after some testing I did some time ago - ugh). Even using iOS takes careful use to avoid data leakage, but at least it's minimal and easier to manage. I haven't gone back and done more android testing using newer devices/OS, but it's very time consuming and not something I'm up for doing now.

Here is a very good review of the current Republic Wireless situation, with lots of user comments, if anyone is interested:

http://cashcowcouple.com/service-reviews/republic-wireless-review/

Thanks for the info.
  • Reply 64 of 65
    ZXWolfZXWolf Posts: 1member
    mike1 said:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechProd1gy View Post

Is it just me or is the is a terrible article?

Certainly odd. This is the equivalent of an article in a car magazine criticizing a car for not having the payload capacity of a pick up truck.

Two different products for different use cases. If the new Touch had a cellular capability, it'd be a phone. Imagine that.

I have to agree with you. I have a phone (not running iOS😉) and I would never compare it to my iPod touch since I use them both for completely different things.