Leaked Intel Skylake info reveals future MacBooks will gain graphics boosts, better battery life

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    wizard69 wrote: »
    It is the fact that this is a major generational improvement that makes SkyLake so important. A significant number of subsystems have been improved to make this chipset well worth waiting for.
    That may be, but you can't deny that the way the headline was worded pretty much begs for the kind of response he gave. Future MacBooks will have faster graphics and better battery life? STOP THE PRESSES!!
  • Reply 22 of 32
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Nope, nope, nope. This brings Thunderbolt 3 and a host of new technologies. Thunderbolt 3 makes external GPU's possible and supported. It also supports faster PCIe lanes (faster storage), and other goodies.

And the 12" MacBook is like every other Apple product; wait for the second generation, as it will be much better. The original Air lost support after Lion, meanwhile the Late 2008 is still supported.

Support for external GPUs is kind of interesting, but where did you read that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by spheric View Post

Quad-core 13" machine?

Pretty please?

I doubt that will happen, even if the skus are listed by intel.

• Reply 23 of 32
    Can't wait for the skylake version of the 15 inch Mac Pro. The improvements will be even greater for it since it is still running on Haswell. Plus, there is a chance it will have a thinner form factor since the USB 3 and thunderbolt ports can be replaced with USB-C with thunderbolt enabled.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by portcity View Post

since the USB 3 and thunderbolt ports can be replaced with USB-C with thunderbolt enabled.

I don't think that's likely just yet.

• Reply 25 of 32
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,563member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

I doubt that will happen, even if the skus are listed by intel.

I know a *lot* of musicians are hoping for it. I really don't want to tour with a 15" 'book.

• Reply 26 of 32
    Quote:

I know a *lot* of musicians are hoping for it. I really don't want to tour with a 15" 'book.

I don't entirely understand that. The thing is around 4 pounds and not that bulky. Where does it become a problem?

• Reply 27 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

I don't entirely understand that. The thing is around 4 pounds and not that bulky. Where does it become a problem?

When you actually have to carry it with you all the time. When you need to work on the road. In a plane seat. In a van. I actually had to swap seats on a recent tour because the row where I was sitting was too cramped to work in with my 13" early 2011. 

A 15" 'Book is four pounds and considerably bulkier than a 13" 'Book (and my non-retina 13" is already heavier and thicker than I'd like, but the speed improvements on current models don't justify a new purchase at this time). 

This discussion has been done to death since the days of the original G4 Powerbook and keeps getting warmed up every time newer models show up — people kept arguing that the MacBook Air solved a problem nobody had. 

Yes, we do. 

• Reply 28 of 32
    Quote:

When you actually have to carry it with you all the time. When you need to work on the road. In a plane seat. In a van. I actually had to swap seats on a recent tour because the row where I was sitting was too cramped to work in with my 13" early 2011. 

A 15" 'Book is four pounds and considerably bulkier than a 13" 'Book (and my non-retina 13" is already heavier and thicker than I'd like, but the speed improvements on current models don't justify a new purchase at this time). 

This discussion has been done to death since the days of the original G4 Powerbook and keeps getting warmed up every time newer models show up — people kept arguing that the MacBook Air solved a problem nobody had. 

Yes, we do. 

If you run into problems with a 13", a lighter 15" won't solve them. The 15" retina weighs .01 pounds less than the 13" cmbp. A few mm less thickness won't fix the scenarios you mentioned there. You should wait to see if there there is a significant redesign, then buy a 13". Your last post suggests that the 15" will always be a mismatch. I've been in similar situations, but they don't occupy enough of my time to be a big deal. If I traveled constantly they might be more annoying.

• Reply 29 of 32
    Yes, that's exactly what I've been saying.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    That may be, but you can't deny that the way the headline was worded pretty much begs for the kind of response he gave. Future MacBooks will have faster graphics and better battery life? STOP THE PRESSES!!

Well yeah but that doesn't dismiss the fact that everything SkyLake related has been reworked on the chip set. Everything from RAM to the various I/O interfaces are improved often supporting a new generation of technology. This will result in vastly improved laptop behavior In a wide array of settings.

If it wasn't for my old Mac breaking down I would have waited for SkyLake and all that new technology. As it is moving from a early 2008 machine to a 2015 era machine was a very big jump in capability. So I can't complain in that regard but it might be frustrating down the road (2-3 years) when USB-C stuff is widely available.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    hmm wrote: »
    I don't think that's likely just yet.

Why not? It is my understanding that Apple was a significant contributor to the new USB-C standard so it isn't like the technology is unknown to them. Further the idea of a highly flexible Port is in line with Apples recent approach to Engineering new hardware. I would think that it is highly likely that Apple will move to a full USB-C implementation, that is TB included, in the next hardware revs.
  • Reply 32 of 32

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Why not? It is my understanding that Apple was a significant contributor to the new USB-C standard so it isn't like the technology is unknown to them. Further the idea of a highly flexible Port is in line with Apples recent approach to Engineering new hardware. I would think that it is highly likely that Apple will move to a full USB-C implementation, that is TB included, in the next hardware revs.

I don't see them going all dongle just yet, and there isn't yet a good set of usb-c replacement accessories. I personally hate the dongles. Accessories like dongles and earbuds are the absolute worst thing to come out of Apple. They look nice, but they haven't lasted for me. Some haven't fit well at all. In cases where I can update or get a single cable solution, I do that. For example I have an external display with a displayport to mini displayport cable rather than displayport --> displayport to mini displayport dongle --> mac.

Quote:

Yes, that's exactly what I've been saying.

I think I made a mistake in that I read your posts alongside those of the other guy I responded to before that. I conflated it with the one suggesting that usb3 ports would be replaced with skylake (really skeptical about that).

I can certainly understand why you would want a quad 13". It might happen if they still use the same chipset, but I'm still skeptical. Apple typically tries to upsell, so it's most likely if they can generate a high minimum sale with one. I would be much less surprised to see a 13" retail option in the ~$1600 range with a quad core cpu and 512 ssd than something closer to the base model.