Rumor: Apple's iPad mini 4 will be a miniature iPad Air 2, could launch alongside A9-powered iPad Ai

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78
    rogifan wrote: »
    So it sounds like Apple has decided the mini is always going to be a generation behind the Air.

I love my Air 2 except for the sound vibration. It's such a weird sensation when you're holding the iPad in your hands and your fingers have this tingly feeling because of the sound vibrations. That's why whenever I can I use my iPad with a Bluetooth speaker. Hopefully if we get a new mini they fixed the vibration issue.
    It makes sense to keep the mini one year behind - as is frequently mentioned, the current iPad lineup is over powered for most uses, so the buyers hip won't suffer particularly, and it allows for another round of shrinkage in order to fit the same guys in the smaller package. Not preferable, but not a crime against humanity, either ????

As for the sound vibrations being 'fixed', physics suggests that's not possible; if you have ideas about how to vibration-dampen the iPad chassis without making it run hotter and/or weigh more, I'd be interested to hear them.
  • Reply 42 of 78
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Separately, the report looks to hedge recent rumors that Apple may forgo an upgrade to the iPad Air this year in order to reduce pressure on manufacturers who will be tasked with pumping out both a 12.9" iPad Pro and all-new iPad mini 4.

Humbug!

Apple's customers already reduced the pressure on manufacturers by 17M iPads p.a.!

• Reply 43 of 78
    nhnonnanhnonna Posts: 3member
    I admit it; I'm hooked on anything iPad. I currently have an iPad Air 2 and an iPad mini 3. I keep selling my old models and upgrading when I can. If Apple is going to be making subtle changes in the next version of each, please:

1) Find a NAME for it so it can be easily recognized to differentiate between models; it's getting VERY difficult to tell them apart; and PLEASE
    2) How about including a cover/case for them; with the prices they get, we shouldn't have to pay so much for the covers - really.
  • Reply 44 of 78
    Apple Finally showing the mini some love. I love my mini 2. For me the mini is the perfect size tablet. So portable.
  • Reply 45 of 78
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    entropys wrote: »
    Plenty of people prefer the mini form factor. I am not one of them, but plenty do. Qantas for example has iPad minis in every seat pocket of their newer planes to use with their wifi.

In my opinion, the main reason for an iPad mini, and an iPad pro truth to tell, is to leave no gaps in the market for competitors to exploit. They don't have to take the market by storm. This is the lesson of the no doubt Jobs imposed one screen size for iPhones that gave Samsung a leg up, a repeat mistake from the early days of the Macintosh.

iPad Air 1 didn't have this issue. I would have no problem with Apple going back to that weight.
  • Reply 46 of 78
    rp2011rp2011 Posts: 159member
    I think Apple can just bump specs yearly like they do macs, and not do "all new" ipads every year. Maybe just minor upgrades and "all new" ipads every three years or so.
  • Reply 47 of 78
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    That would be nice but got to keep up those margins. At least if Apple finance has its way.

who is Apple finance? what makes it their decision and not somebody else's?
  • Reply 48 of 78
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    imember wrote: »
    The things will make me buy an iPad Air 4
    Will be
    1. iPhone 6 design
    2. 64 GB storage starting point
    3. App Store upload limit: 8 GB
    4. Exclusive games: Batman Arkham City,..
    That's it

I'm just leaving a town in Sweden. it's called Trollhattan, which means "troll hat".
  • Reply 49 of 78
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nhnonna View Post

1) Find a NAME for it so it can be easily recognized to differentiate between models; it's getting VERY difficult to tell them apart; and PLEASE

Quote:

2) How about including a cover/case for them; with the prices they get, we shouldn't have to pay so much for the covers - really.

Please make some sense. People suppose to have 1 version, not multiple versions of each kind. It's ridiculous to ask for something like this because you can't tell the difference between your iPad mini, mini 2 and mini 3...lol. How about buying different color cover for each and you're set?

• Reply 50 of 78
    The iPad Air 2 at $399 will be a real bargain. The mini 3 at $299 not so much given the age of the processor.
  • Reply 51 of 78
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Not a big deal if no iPad Airs this fall. It's massively over powered for what it's used for, and can't think of significant upgrades for that form factor. They should focus on the mini and the Pro. A price drop to $399 would be pretty awesome though.

Well, that's your opinion. For me, I'm actually looking forward to an "Air3" to finally upgrade my iPad2 and would prefer to buy at the top of the curve so it lasts me as long. Apple wont drop the price of the Air 2 until there is a replacement at the higher price.

• Reply 52 of 78
    nhnonnanhnonna Posts: 3member

My earlier reference to differentiating iPad models was not directed to my personally owned iPads but rather to the confusion on Ebay when someone wants to sell one and Ebay enters the incorrect information in the description area.  Or when the seller isn't aware of the model they are selling.  I have one full-size iPad and one smaller mini to throw in my purse when I go out.  Sorry if I didn't make sense to you, fallenjt.  Who says people only have to have one version?  Since I purchased them I KNOW the differences, but it seems that others can become confused with all that are offered.  

• Reply 53 of 78
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    Quote:

No, please don't. This is a ridiculous request, and just looking at the market for cases makes it clear why: full case, smart cover, soft shell, hard shell, integrated bluetooth keyboard, wood, plastic, rubber, canvas, black, grey, blue, red: "ugly" is relative, as is "beauty", as is "practical". 

I *really* don't want to have a case factored into the cost of the device, just so I can put it aside and never, ever use it, because it happens to be one that YOU like and find practical. 

• Reply 54 of 78
    Quote:

My earlier reference to differentiating iPad models was not directed to my personally owned iPads but rather to the confusion on Ebay when someone wants to sell one and Ebay enters the incorrect information in the description area.  Or when the seller isn't aware of the model they are selling.  I have one full-size iPad and one smaller mini to throw in my purse when I go out.  Sorry if I didn't make sense to you, fallenjt.  Who says people only have to have one version?  Since I purchased them I KNOW the differences, but it seems that others can become confused with all that are offered.  

And you think a new naming scheme would change this? 

Just look at all the iPhone 4S users who think they're using an iPhone 4 (most of them)… this problem of correctly identifying models in eBay auctions is universal, and applies to virtually all electronic/mechanical products. 

• Reply 55 of 78
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    That would be nice but got to keep up those margins. At least if Apple finance has its way.

Perhaps lost margins can be offset with the introduction of a higher priced iPad pro.
  • Reply 56 of 78
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

If true, this would be great news.  We passed on the mini 3 because it was a poor value, processor-wise, compared to the Air 2, keeping the exact same processor as the previous mini 2.

• Reply 57 of 78

IMO, the mini is a product that could easily be eliminated from the lineup. It was a sort of bridge product during the time that the 9.7" iPad was still considered "heavy" and Apple wasn't offering 4.7" and 5.5" screen phones. The introduction of a 12.9" iPad that sold for a premium and a modest price drop on the 9.7" iPad would seem like an opportunity to discontinue the mini.

• Reply 58 of 78
    scoodogscoodog Posts: 17member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So it sounds like Apple has decided the mini is always going to be a generation behind the Air.

I love my Air 2 except for the sound vibration. It's such a weird sensation when you're holding the iPad in your hands and your fingers have this tingly feeling because of the sound vibrations. That's why whenever I can I use my iPad with a Bluetooth speaker. Hopefully if we get a new mini they fixed the vibration issue.

I bought -- and returned -- the iPad Air 2 last year because of the very same issue.  Not only did it vibrate, but the sound quality playing music was poor.  Very tinny sounding.  I decided to keep my iPad 3 (aka "The New iPad" haha).  Hopefully Apple can fix this problem on the iPad Air 3, as I really like listening to music on my iPad -- using its internal speakers.

• Reply 59 of 78
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by scoodog View Post

I bought -- and returned -- the iPad Air 2 last year because of the very same issue.  Not only did it vibrate, but the sound quality playing music was poor.  Very tinny sounding.  I decided to keep my iPad 3 (aka "The New iPad" haha).  Hopefully Apple can fix this problem on the iPad Air 3, as I really like listening to music on my iPad -- using its internal speakers.

I find all those speakers abysmal, to horrifying, no matter what the version is. Better just to use a small bluetooth speaker than endure that.

The only time I kind of endure it is if I listen to podcasts, or anything with no music; for music, forget about it.

In general, my sound equipment is pretty top notch which makes me pretty sensitive to sound degradations of any kind.

• Reply 60 of 78
    The iPad Air 2 sounds SO MUCH better than the iPad 2 I was using previously - much less tinny. Watching YouTube and other online videos is MUCH less annoying than it used to be.

But anybody who expects Hifi from a built-in tablet speaker needs to get their head checked.