Apple joins White House's American Business Act on Climate Pledge

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2015
The White House on Monday announced that Apple will be among a group of 13 companies appearing alongside Secretary of State John Kerry and other senior White House officials, as they launch the American Business Act on Climate Pledge.

The pledge calls on participating companies to eliminate just shy of 6 billion tons of carbon pollution through 2030. Other companies involved include Alcoa, Bank of America, Berkshire Hathaway Energy, Cargill, Coca-Cola, General Motors, Goldman Sachs, Google, Microsoft, PepsiCo, UPS, and Walmart.

In all the Pledge is expected to entail $140 billion in investments, and the creation of 1,600 megawatts in renewable energy. The White House added that a second set of pledges should be announced in the fall.

Apple, at least, does not appear to be making any new investments. Echoing's Apple's own official line, the White House remarked that the company is already running its U.S. operations entirely on renewable energy, and worldwide is working to put 280 megawatts of green power online by the end of 2016. Carbon emissions from global offices, stores, and datacenters have allegedly dropped 48 percent since 2011.

Critics have noted that Apple still consumes vast amounts of resources in shipping and production, and that much of the company's carbon pollution is actually generated by suppliers. In May the company promised to reduce manufacturing emissions as well as expand a managed forestry program, but said that the former would take "years" to accomplish.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 100
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Ugh.

And what are these companies getting in exchange? The majority of companies listed is a "who's who" of crony capitalists.
  • Reply 2 of 100
    Ugh.

And what are these companies getting in exchange? The majority of companies listed is a "who's who" of crony capitalists.

You'd think ObamaCo would at least get the FTC to back off with this. Probably not though.
  • Reply 3 of 100
    jessijessi Posts: 302member

Now after 30 years, this is the first thing that has indicated to me that Apple has lost its way.

Kowtowing to bad science.  Global Warming was disproven in the 1980s, but it's great for stealing peoples money, which government loves to do.

Apple should stay out of it.

• Reply 4 of 100
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Ugh.

I guess we shouldn't be surprised. Lisa Jackson did work for Obama and Cook is giving her more and more power. But yes crony capitalism sucks and it's amazing to me that so many liberals don't seem to have a problem with it.
  • Reply 5 of 100
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessi View Post

Now after 30 years, this is the first thing that has indicated to me that Apple has lost its way.

Kowtowing to bad science.  Global Warming was disproven in the 1980s, but it's great for stealing peoples money, which government loves to do.

"Lost it's way"? Oh, do shut up. Apple has cared about this stuff for a long time, and SJ made a huge point to talk about these kinds of things when unveiling new products in the last few years of his life. I love how you rightwing trolls always come up with some new mind-numbing reasons for Apple "losing it's way", when when that thing is absolutely the logical thing to do, both from a business perspective and from others. It's hilarious that people actually pretend to be shocked by these headlines, then make ridiculous proclamations like you just have. 

• Reply 6 of 100
    rogifan wrote: »
    I guess we shouldn't be surprised. Lisa Jackson did work for Obama and Cook is giving her more and more power. But yes crony capitalism sucks and it's amazing to me that so many liberals don't seem to have a problem with it.

Imagine if they had brought on Jay Carney as their media guy.

"Yeah, we just found out about the Apple Music problems in the news, just like you."
  • Reply 7 of 100
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Managed forestry is not the answer. Using recycled material is. Already wrote to Tim Cook about it. Anyone else?

Perfect packaging isn't necessary. Recycled materials can be just as nice, if different.
  • Reply 8 of 100
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Also:

Yet again, corporations are given well over a decade to accomplish a minor change. The damage has been done. The only way to help anything is to change NOW and reduce the ultimate impact.
  • Reply 9 of 100
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

O.o

What a ridiculous thing to say. 

Human-induced climate change is a reality. 

If you can at the very least acknowledge the impact of, say, air pollution (that *we* cause), then you can appreciate the effort being made in this area. 

We essentially pour SHIT into our environment, and it (and we) are definitely the worse for it. Air quality alone should be of major concern to everyone. 

• Reply 10 of 100
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    O.o

If you can at the very least acknowledge the impact of, say, air pollution (that *we* cause), then you can appreciate the effort being made in this area. 

We essentially pour SHIT into our environment, and it (and we) are definitely the worse for it. Air quality alone should be of major concern to everyone. 

Only human arrogance would lead people to claim that their activities are warming the planet.

Not pouring toxic sludge into a river is another matter entirely. Governments don't typically set up huge wealth transfer schemes on that issue.
  • Reply 11 of 100
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Imagine if they had brought on Jay Carney as their media guy.

"Yeah, we just found out about the Apple Music problems in the news, just like you."

Ha!
  • Reply 12 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Only human arrogance would lead people to claim that their activities are warming the planet.

Not pouring toxic sludge into a river is another matter entirely. Governments don't typically set up huge wealth transfer schemes on that issue.

The operative term is carbon emissions. 

Do you NOT think this is a problem notwithstanding your opinion on "global warming"?

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2008/january9/co-010908.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_pollution

It's what you're breathing, that is linked to large carbon foortprints multiplied person to person, corporation to corporation, industry to industry. Don't worry about the "global warming" issue – if you're so averse to it, when the efforts in this area also address this concern: your health, my health, the health of our families, and that of future generations. 

"The pledge calls on participating companies to eliminate just shy of 6 billion tons of carbon pollution through 2030."

Carbon pollution:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/05/140527114919.htm

LOGIC.

• Reply 13 of 100
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

O.o

No one has proven climate change or changes are caused by humans. For liberals it was called global warming until everyone in the northern part of the US started getting an average of 100 inches of snow in the winter, now it's climate change. 

• Reply 14 of 100
    Quote:

Get a clue.

• Reply 15 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

No one has proven climate change or changes are caused by humans. For liberals it was called global warming until everyone in the northern part of the US started getting an average of 100 inches of snow in the winter, now it's climate change. 

That isn't the point. You're worrying about the stated purpose when the OTHER by-product is just as bad, that the stated purpose just happens to address.  

Air quality.

• Reply 16 of 100
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Care to tell us about all the science degrees and PhDs on climate science that adorn your resume?

Of course it's your choice (sadly), but you really should read and reflect more about the state of the world, than be content with the illiterate nonsense you're fed from the far right-wing media.

• Reply 17 of 100

Expect a usual suspects to trot out their ignorance......

Should be a fun thread. /s

• Reply 18 of 100

https://www.skepticalscience.com/Record-snowfall-disproves-global-warming.htm

Enjoy. 

And even if you don't believe a word of that, realize that the air you're experiencing with your head lodged up your ass is about what you'd be breathing in long-term in urban environments.

• Reply 19 of 100
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    rogifan wrote: »

I'm not a liberal, simply a common sense centrist that see both right and wrong on both sides of America's two sided divide on most matters. In this matter I only have problems with extreme right wingers who don't understand science or don't want to for idealogical reasons, as there are simply no other explanations for deniers' rhetoric.
  • Reply 20 of 100
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'm not a liberal, simply a common sense centrist that see both right and wrong on both sides of Americas two sided divide on most matters. In this matter I only have problems with extreme right wingers don't understand science or don't want to for idealogical reasons, as there are simply no other explanations for deniers rhetoric.

It's often because it's "the government" that's somehow involved, and these folks are completely pants-on-head paranoid about anything to do with it, even when it's actually for everyone's benefit.