Inside iOS 9: Apple's Maps app gets smarter with automatic directions based on user habits

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by poksi View Post

Hm.... How does that go together with anti-gobbling data policy?

There's no contradiction at all, but you'd have to do a few seconds of research to realize that, which is understandably too much effort. Easier to post a quip like you did. 

• Reply 22 of 81
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wigby View Post

One road over another is one thing. That's a pattern that software can accommodate. If Apple Maps is only 2 doors down from your driveway, that's a GPS accuracy issue, not software.

Yes, GPS is not as precise as most people think +-30 feet is the highest level of precision I believe.

Though, doing many sweeps and averaging out the result could get you a statistically precise result for a fixed point (could take a little while though).

So, Apple could know the precise location of your house, but not know you reached it (cause the mobile quickly determined location is not as precise) unless you put a Ibeacon there :-), or the type of GPS adjustment stations they use when people are farming with GPS (the station's location is well known and is served to correct the errors in position of the moving device). Can you do that? I suppose having a AppleTV there could be a TV beacon of sort.

• Reply 23 of 81
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    This is not all new - some of it was already there in iOS 8. It already told me about traffic to and from work. It knew what work was because it's in my contact card. It also knew that I went to the gym at specific times and told me how long the trip would take from home.

What's new is that it's smarter about it, giving more information like traffic level and knowing when you're in your car, and it's also happening in more places and different times outside of my normal commute. For instance, I can go to the grocery store and my phone tells me how long the drive will take home. It also looks at your Calendar and appointments and tells you how long to drive to your appointment.
  • Reply 24 of 81
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member

Car Play seems to do this already.  It certainly guesses that I might be going to work or home.

I really like it.  I've got two routes to work which are almost exactly the same distance, and which one is fastest is entirely dependent on the traffic conditions that day.  This works it out for me.

• Reply 25 of 81
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    foggyhill wrote: »
    Yes, GPS is not as precise as most people think +-30 feet is the highest level of precision I believe.
    Centimeter accuracy may be right around the corner tho, using the same GPS chips we do now. :Look into GRID.
  • Reply 26 of 81
    mike1 wrote: »
    One thing I would like is the ability for the phone to automatically turn off wifi when I get in the car. I hate when the phone latches on to a weak wifi connection when I'm stopped at a light and switches off my LTE data. This wreaks havoc with Siri, Radio, Maps and everything else that uses data.

Mike1, you can 'forget' those wifi networks that are getting in your way. And tell your phone not to offer you new networks. I only experience this problem out the front of my house with my home wifi.
  • Reply 27 of 81
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Apropos of nothing, is it just me or does anyone else find it disturbing that Apple ignores their own HIG (Human Interface Guidelines) on their music controller UI? The volume button is almost unusably close to other elements, plus the audio scrubbing function is poorly designed.

• Reply 28 of 81
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Bailey View Post

Mike1, you can 'forget' those wifi networks that are getting in your way. And tell your phone not to offer you new networks. I only experience this problem out the front of my house with my home wifi.

That is correct. I did 'forget' my cable company's wifi service, but I do need to log in again when I do want it. I also hoped IFTT would have helped, but that app offers no hardware functionality. So, I couldn't make a rule that said "If BT connects to something (my car), then turn off wifi.

• Reply 29 of 81
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

There's no contradiction at all, but you'd have to do a few seconds of research to realize that, which is understandably too much effort. Easier to post a quip like you did. 

...or read through to the last paragraph in the article. 

• Reply 30 of 81
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    inkling wrote: »
    How irritating. Apple seems to be creating a nanny operating system that treats users like children who need to have their every step guided by someone wiser.

hmm yeah why dont you wait until the product is actually done and youve actually used or seen it before declaring how bad it sucks. mmm'k...
  • Reply 31 of 81
    wigby wrote: »

Apple is painting themselves in a corner here. The only reason to activate iCloud on all devices is to synchronize the same account across all devices. An independent but cloud connected device will not behave the way most users think it will.

youd better let Tim Cook know immediately -- he doesnt want to paint Apple into a corner!
  • Reply 32 of 81
    wigby wrote: »

It's all simple when you only approach it as backup data like you suggest. This story is talking about location-based suggestions and Siri being proactive. Most Apple users have more than one device so that features like handoff function in an iOS ecosystem. When you remove the ability to "handoff" iCloud data from one device to another, you cripple the experience of proactive and seamless AI.

if only Ive and friends knew they were about to "cripple" the experience on iOS 9! eek!
  • Reply 33 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

youd better let Tim Cook know immediately -- he doesnt want to paint Apple into a corner!

Nobody puts Apple in the corner! 

• Reply 34 of 81
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

That's very stupid and arrogant post. Because if you would do any thinking at all, then you would realise this function has no big value by keeping data contained on device as many has figured out. Actually, if it works like that (which I doubt), then it's bad or at least limited functionality and will result in bad user experience first time your phone will break either physically or by software fault and you'll have only old backups. On the other hand, if it is connected to ones iCloud account, then it's gobbling...  Even if it gathers data "anonymously" somewhere it connect device with gathered data and it this data should be of any use on other devices you will activate, then these devices need to be somewhow connecter to the user.

I'm not saying this is obvious to anyone, but it definitively harder than just brainless insult.

• Reply 35 of 81
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

...or read through to the last paragraph in the article. 

"....and anonymizing any information that might be sent through the Internet, to differentiate its service from its rival....."

Please, hold yourself back, otherwise I will expect you will explain how it works "anonymously" within the user ecosystem and you might embarrass yourself...    

• Reply 36 of 81

It is not a GPS issue. The blue dot on the map showing me where I am currently at is always correct. The problem with addresses, I assume, is that there is a formula based on certain addresses and increments between those are estimated by distance. There is a store on a road that is the only building for a ten mile stretch. Both Apple Maps and Google Maps are the same 1.5 miles off for this location. There must be an algorithm for addresses, and buildings put up after the plan is made might or might not fall in line with where they "should" be given a certain address.

• Reply 37 of 81
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    It really needs crowd sourcing data to determine travel time and other issues on the road. Waze does this really well and so far it's the best routing map program right now.

As others said maps already does some predictive suggesting about when to leave. I had in my calendar the address of where I needed to be and I got a notification saying I needed to leaving now it get to three location and it offer to map it for me.
  • Reply 38 of 81
    mizhoumizhou Posts: 16member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

One thing I would like is the ability for the phone to automatically turn off wifi when I get in the car. I hate when the phone latches on to a weak wifi connection when I'm stopped at a light and switches off my LTE data. This wreaks havoc with Siri, Radio, Maps and everything else that uses data.

I suggest you post some feedback to Apple about this. I assume you have an AppleID. Use that to register as a developer. You don't need to join the paid developer program. You just create a developer login, using your AppleID. Then you can report the bug here at http://bugreporter.apple.com

Bugreporter is not only for bugs, but also for suggestions(requests about new functionality (mainly from a developers perspective).

If you don't want to register as a developer, then you can join the public beta program, and use Apples Feedback Assistant in OS X beta.

As a last resort you can post your feedback at http://www.apple.com/feedback/

• Reply 39 of 81
    websnapwebsnap Posts: 224member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Traffic: If you're physically moving (for example, traveling in a car), your iOS device will periodically send GPS locations and travel speed information in an anonymous and encrypted form to Apple, to be used for augmenting a crowd-sourced road traffic database.

Popular Near Me: Your iOS device will periodically send locations of where you have purchased or used apps in an anonymous and encrypted form to Apple to improve a crowd-sourced database. This database may be used to offer geographically relevant apps and other products and services.

Frequent Locations: To learn places that are significant to you, your iOS device will keep track of places you have recently been, as well as how often and when you visited them. This data is kept solely on your device and won't be sent to Apple without your consent. It will be used to provide you with personalized services, such as predictive traffic routing.

Location-Based iAds: Your iPhone will send your location, including travel speed and direction, to Apple to provide you with geographically relevant iAds.

Spotlight Suggestions: When you use Spotlight or Spotlight Suggestions in Safari, the location of your iOS device at the time you submit a search query to Spotlight or Safari will be sent to Apple to make Spotlight Suggestions more relevant and to improve other Apple products and services. If you turn off Location Services for Spotlight Suggestions, your precise location won't be sent to Apple. To deliver relevant search suggestions, Apple may use the IP address of your Internet connection to approximate your location by matching it to a geographic region.

So no link, ok.

It doesn’t seem to label your frequent locations as frequent locations when it gets sent to apple anonymously. As far as it is concerned, it’s just a place you went to and if you don’t want it to know what location you went to why use a map at all? 

• Reply 40 of 81
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    websnap wrote: »

So no link, ok. 
    You couldn't find it? It's verbatim from Apple. As sure as you were about locations I thought you had probably read it already.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203033