Apple Music hits 10M subscribers in four weeks, report says

Comments

• Reply 61 of 93
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Of course not. It's just not as bad as it was made out to be. Everybody ran with his initial story, but hardly anyone ran the update that all was well.

I'm actually disappointed that he got a special meeting with Apple and that they assured him his content was still there even though he couldn't see it. The asshat didn't have his own backups and he also stated he no longer was the owner of the CD in which the bulk of his music had been ripped. Fuçk him. Let him learn from his mistakes, not be given an opportunity that the rest of the population can't get. We need to stop coddling bad behaviour or we'll continue to create more elitist assholes that think the universe owes them something for their existence.
  • Reply 62 of 93
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Marco Arment is a very high profile Apple developer, not an "anti-Apple blogger". These people are critical because they care, not because they want Apple to fail.

Although I've read a lot of generalized complaints about iTunes + Match + Apple Music being "confusing", I've yet to see a specific argument made that's very convincing about why it's "confusing". All you have to do is backup the music files on your HDD and never choose to have any of the apps delete files from your HDD and there's no risk of losing something that isn't limited to a Match subscription or an Apple Music subscription.

• Reply 63 of 93
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    pepe779 wrote: »

Exactly what I was thinking when I saw this. There are hundreds of millions of active iOS users and the 8.4 adoption rate has already reached 40%, so 10 million Apple Music users can already be considered a fail imho, especially since it's free for the first 3 months and once the trial period is over, this number will only go down. Personally I have no issues with Apple Music and I'm pretty sure I'll keep it once my trial ends, just really surprised to see such low numbers.

A fail? Based on what? There are 7-8 billion people in the world and Apple only has 800 MM accounts. Is that a fail too?

Like you said, it's only been three months. I have no interest in Apple Music or any other subscription services.
    rogifan wrote: »
    I know you get charged. But does Apple send an email before the 90 days are up reminding you that you're going to get charged? Or do you just get an email saying your card was charged $9.99/$14.99? I guarantee you there are people that signed up didn't who read any fine print and Apple forums will be full of them complaining about being charged and wondering how to turn it off (as subscriptions are buried in settings).

Again, probably like other subscription plans there would be no notice. People will always complain whether they get a reminder or not.
  • Reply 64 of 93
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Of course not. It's just not as bad as it was made out to be. Everybody ran with his initial story, but hardly anyone ran the update that all was well.

I'm actually disappointed that he got a special meeting with Apple and that they assured him his content was still there even though he couldn't see it. The asshat didn't have his own backups and he also stated he no longer was the owner of the CD in which the bulk of his music had been ripped. Fuçk him. Let him learn from his mistakes, not be given an opportunity that the rest of the population can't get. We need to stop coddling bad behaviour or we'll continue to create more elitist assholes that think the universe owes them something for their existence.

Getting rid of the CDs was a big mistake, because even a local HDD/SSD backup isn't 100% fail safe.

I don't crap on anyone for getting perks. I personally try to get as many as I can, and there aren't many of us that would've turned down that special attention from Apple. Afterwards he was able to write out the steps it took to resolve his problems for the benefit of anyone experiencing the same thing.
  • Reply 65 of 93
    I don't crap on anyone for getting perks.

I don't care about the perks, but I do care that bad behaviour gets rewarded. Do you think he's looked into and bought a backup solution that he's now employing? I'd be surprised if he had.
  • Reply 66 of 93
    Can someone list issues with this service?  I don't use it a ton but thought it was pretty good overall.  I am hearing a lot of chatter on how bad it is and just don't see it myself...

For me the problem stems from a large library, and a difference in how it counts compared to iTunes Match. There is a hard cap at 25,000 songs. iTunes Match didn't count iTunes purchases toward that, Music does.

So not all my music is available, and I can't add any music or playlists. Once the limit is reached, Apple Music is pretty useless.

Since I had used Beats Audio since its start, it also lost all my tracks and playlists instead of moving them over -- since Beats didn't have the limit, and also kept itself separate from my personal library.

Family sharing has also been buggy, letting each user see slightly different libraries and deleting songs from albums and playlists seemingly at random.
  • Reply 67 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by D.J. Adequate View Post

For me the problem stems from a large library, and a difference in how it counts compared to iTunes Match. There is a hard cap at 25,000 songs. iTunes Match didn't count iTunes purchases toward that, Music does.

So not all my music is available, and I can't add any music or playlists. Once the limit is reached, Apple Music is pretty useless.

Since I had used Beats Audio since its start, it also lost all my tracks and playlists instead of moving them over -- since Beats didn't have the limit, and also kept itself separate from my personal library.

Family sharing has also been buggy, letting each user see slightly different libraries and deleting songs from albums and playlists seemingly at random.

Quote:

That makes sense as I do not have a large library.  I will ask my kids about family sharing to see if there are issues...we have 5 in our family so I should be able to get a good view of this.

• Reply 68 of 93

1) That's a shame. I'd have expected that aspect of the service to carry over without incident.

2) Since Dalrymple was able to get everything back, have you done the email correspondence with Apple's services support to see if it's possible they can recover your tracks and playlists for Apple Music? Perhaps they aren't even aware of this issue.
  • Reply 69 of 93
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    I haven't even looked @ Apple Music yet. With a 40 GB music library and not one rap, hip hop, or Taylor Swift song I'm not the target audience. As is I can't possibly listen to all the music in my collection.

I do find it curious Apple is gung ho to trumpet Music stats but stone cold silent on Watch sales.
  • Reply 70 of 93
    I don't crap on anyone for getting perks.

I don't care about the perks, but I do care that bad behaviour gets rewarded. Do you think he's looked into and bought a backup solution that he's now employing? I'd be surprised if he had.

I'd label it as bad judgment instead of bad behavior. It seemed like he had a backup solution but didn't employ it. I'm sure he has now after this little scare.
  • Reply 71 of 93
    I'd label it as bad judgment instead of bad behavior. It seemed like he had a backup solution but didn't employ it.

A lack of action is bad behaviour.
    I'm sure he has now after this little scare.

But someone in his field should have already had one so I'm not so sure this scare with zero repercussions is enough to change a foundation of negligent behaviour.
  • Reply 72 of 93
    Quote:

Apparently you can create a secondary library as a work around to that prior to El Capitan.

http://www.imore.com/do-you-have-over-25000-tracks-heres-how-create-secondary-itunes-library-apple-music-and-itunes-match

• Reply 73 of 93
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foregoneconclusion View Post

Although I've read a lot of generalized complaints about iTunes + Match + Apple Music being "confusing", I've yet to see a specific argument made that's very convincing about why it's "confusing". All you have to do is backup the music files on your HDD and never choose to have any of the apps delete files from your HDD and there's no risk of losing something that isn't limited to a Match subscription or an Apple Music subscription.

Here are some perfectly valid criticisms and a troubleshooting guide from people who actually like Apple but realize Apple Music is rife with problems:

http://sixcolors.com/post/2015/07/a-rough-ride-for-apple-music/

http://www.imore.com/troubleshooting-apple-music-ultimate-guide

• Reply 74 of 93
    I'd label it as bad judgment instead of bad behavior. It seemed like he had a backup solution but didn't employ it.

A lack of action is bad behaviour.
    I'm sure he has now after this little scare.

But someone in his field should have already had one so I'm not so sure this scare with zero repercussions is enough to change a foundation of negligent behaviour.

He's not the first expert nor will he be the last that something happens to that should've never happened. It's actually quite comforting to know that they're just as absent minded as us non-experts. :lol:
  • Reply 75 of 93
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

I haven't even looked @ Apple Music yet. With a 40 GB music library and not one rap, hip hop, or Taylor Swift song I'm not the target audience. As is I can't possibly listen to all the music in my collection.

I do find it curious Apple is gung ho to trumpet Music stats but stone cold silent on Watch sales.

You shouldn't be surprised about the lack of data on Watch sales, since they were quite up front about them not providing information that would be important to their competitors this early in the product cycle.

• Reply 76 of 93
    He's not the first expert nor will he be the last that something happens to that should've never happened. It's actually quite comforting to know that they're just as absent minded as us non-experts. :lol:

What criteria do you consider him an expert of technology? I'd say that his inability to understand even the basic need for a local back up solution is proof that he is no expert and no one that any of should look to for answers in this field.

And we're not talking about some fringe issue where through a series of unfortunate events something tragic occurs, we're talking about the most basic system of protection. Imagine if your car got hit and then the police discover that you don't have insurance. It's not your fault that your car was hit but it's your fault for not having basic coverage.
  • Reply 77 of 93

Apparently you can create a secondary library as a work around to that prior to El Capitan.

http://www.imore.com/do-you-have-over-25000-tracks-heres-how-create-secondary-itunes-library-apple-music-and-itunes-match

Thanks! I appreciate the tips.
  • Reply 78 of 93
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Here are some perfectly valid criticisms and a troubleshooting guide from people who actually like Apple but realize Apple Music is rife with problems:

http://sixcolors.com/post/2015/07/a-rough-ride-for-apple-music/

http://www.imore.com/troubleshooting-apple-music-ultimate-guide

The first link is just a repeat of material from Dalrymple's original column where he incorrectly assumed he had "lost" a large amount of music and talked about weird issues with his music library. Turns out those kinds of issues were most commonly caused by a corrupted .itl file during the update, and were resolved by replacing it with the prior .itl file.

The second link is labelled as "troubleshooting", but 95% of the content is just explaining  the standard way to set up certain types of features for people who aren't familiar with how to do it. It's really a "tips" article, not a "troubleshooting" article. 

• Reply 79 of 93

What criteria do you consider him an expert of technology? I'd say that his inability to understand even the basic need for a local back up solution is proof that he is no expert and no one that any of should look to for answers in this field.

And we're not talking about some fringe issue where through a series of unfortunate events something tragic occurs, we're talking about the most basic system of protection. Imagine if your car got hit and then the police discover that you don't have insurance. It's not your fault that your car was hit but it's your fault for not having basic coverage.

As my professor used to say "an expert is a person that's done something before you have". We as tech savvy people might skip a step thinking it's not needed only to be proven wrong especially if we would've advised someone else to take that step. And if something should go wrong we're usually able to resolve it. Familiarity does breed contempt.

Marco erred like we all do. He simply thought 'what could go wrong'? Entire civilizations have been wiped out because they thought that way. He only almost lost some music.
  • Reply 80 of 93
    As my professor used to say "an expert is a person that's done something before you have". We as tech savvy people might skip a step thinking it's not needed only to be proven wrong especially if we would've advised someone else to take that step. And if something should go wrong we're usually able to resolve it. Familiarity does breed contempt.

Marco erred like we all do. He simply thought 'what could go wrong'? Entire civilizations have been wiped out because they thought that way. He only almost lost some music.

This isn't a simple slip up — like referring to Jim as Marco — but something fundamental to the core that shows he doesn't deserve any title of expert. When you are a sing language interpreter and use the wrong sign once by mistake that's a simple err, but when you fake sign language at the Nelson Mandela's memorial service you're not an expert who made a simple, momentary error… you're something much worse: a fraud.