Aaron Sorkin's 'Steve Jobs' selected as Centerpiece of New York Film Festival

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2015
The highly anticipated biopic of Apple cofounder Steve Jobs, with Michael Fassbender in the title role, will hold the prestigious "Centerpiece" slot at the New York Film Festival on Oct. 3.

The Film Society of Lincoln Center announced this week that the Aaron Sorkin-scripted "Steve Jobs" will serve as the main attraction at the 53rd New York Film Festival. New York Film Festival Director and Selection Committee Chair Kent Jones said the film from Universal Pictures defies expectations, taking an unconventional approach to tell the story of the digital revolutionary.

"'Steve Jobs' is dramatically concentrated, yet beautifully expansive," Jones said in a statement. "It's extremely sharp, it's wildly entertaining, and the actors just soar --?you can feel their joy as they bite into the material."

Based on Walter Isaacson's best selling biography, "Steve Jobs" is directed by Academy Award winner Danny Boyle, best known for "Slumdog Millionaire." Sorkin, too, is an Oscar winner for his work on "The Social Network," based on Mark Zuckerberg's creation of Facebook.

"I am honored that our film has been selected as the Centrepiece of this year's festival," Boyle said. "And thrilled and terrified too, unlike the subject of our film, who would have taken the whole thing very much in his stride.

"Steve Jobs was a thoroughly contradictory and complex character who forged our digital age. He's the kind of brilliant, flawed character that Shakespeare would have relished writing about, and storytellers of all kinds will be fashioning and re-fashioning the mythology of the digital revolution for generations to come. I hope that festivalgoers enjoy our take."

Joining Fassbender in the lead role is Kate Winslet as Joanna Hoffman, Seth Rogen as Steve Wozniak, Jeff Daniels ad John Sculley, Michael Stuhlbarg as Andy Hertzfeld, and Katherine Waterston as Chrisann Brennan. The film features three extended backstage scenes ahead of the unveilings of the first Macintosh, the NeXT workstation, and the iMac.

Festivalgoers will get to see the movie slightly before the general public, as "Steve Jobs" hits theaters in the U.S. on Oct. 9.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    In which we learn that Steve Jobs was actually an Irishman.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

And moonlighted as Magneto.

• Reply 3 of 16

With Aaron Sorkin on board this will be a movie to see.

• Reply 4 of 16
    pte apple wrote: »
    With Aaron Sorkin on board this will be a movie to see.

I find Sorkin's work preachy and every character is a motormouth.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Add crap source material and, yeah, not too excited for this.

• Reply 6 of 16
    bill42bill42 Posts: 131member

Hey, compared to the other Steve Jobs movies out there, this one should easily trump them all. And, Steve Jobs was in many ways similar to Magneto, so there is that.

• Reply 7 of 16

I like Boyle, and Fassbender. Sorkin, less so.

I have no doubt this will be a great film. And, it will put to sleep the documentary garbage that's currently making the rounds.

• Reply 8 of 16

When will this be available on iTunes?

• Reply 9 of 16
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    I have my doubts about the casting on this film but we'll see. Ashton Kutcher was actually quite believable as SJ IMO.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

I dunno...I think he looks more like Sculley than Jobs...

just me?

• Reply 11 of 16

I would have preferred Henry Cavill for the role.

"What does the 'S' stand for?"
    "Steve. It stands for Steve. That's my name. Steve Jobs."

Since this is an Aaron Sorkin screenplay, those lines of dialogue would be delivered while Steve and his entourage power walk around the Apple Campus.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    mj web wrote: »
    I have my doubts about the casting on this film but we'll see. Ashton Kutcher was actually quite believable as SJ IMO.

Clearly the highlight of his career. It's all downhill from there.
  • Reply 13 of 16

You're thinking of Mark Zuckerburg.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    mj web wrote: »

I agree. I thought it was a very good -- not great, but really good -- movie.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You're thinking of Mark Zuckerburg.

But Mark can speak Chinese!

• Reply 16 of 16
    wvdirkwvdirk Posts: 20member
    Too soon...