Windows 10 launches to favorable reviews, cautions about bugs and feature gaps

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2015
Early reviews of Microsoft's latest operating system -- released on Wednesday -- have been generally positive, suggesting that it solves problems with Windows 8 while advancing the Windows platform towards the future.

The Verge

Reviewer Tom Warren described Windows 10 as "hugely exciting," claiming that he rarely uses his MacBook Air anymore as a result. He praised aspects such as the return of the Start Menu, which incorporates Windows 8's tiles in a side panel, and features like integrated Cortana voice and text commands and solid built-in apps, such as Mail and Xbox.

The OS is still said to have some rough edges however, such as bugs, which in some scenarios can cause crashes and audio drop-outs. Other built-in apps are reportedly missing features, such as the new Web browser, Edge, which (temporarily) lacks extension support and makes it difficult to change the default search engine away from Bing.

Re/code

Walt Mossberg, a long-time Apple fan, said Windows 10 was "probably not going to revolutionize PCs," but should make Windows users happy thanks to the Start Menu, Edge, and Cortana voice control. Apple's own voice assistant, Siri, has not made its way to desktops, Mossberg noted.

He nevertheless complained that there are bugs and other shortcomings, and promised to elaborate on them in a full-length article. Edge is said to have one significant new feature, which is the ability to sketch on webpages and share and save these annotations.

The Wall Street Journal

Joanna Stern came away impressed with Windows 10, but noted in her review that the new operating system actually ran best for her on Apple hardware. Her tests found the MacBook Air to be the best Windows 10 laptop available, using Apple's BootCamp to run the new update.

"It may not have a touchscreen," she wrote, "but it was snappier, and beat the Dell and Surface for normal scrolling and navigating. (The three-finger swipe wasn't enabled during my tests, however.) Windows 10 is in desperate need of a worthy PC laptop."

But while she was impressed with Windows 10, Stern said that Microsoft lacks the coherent ecosystem that Apple boasts. As a result, she won't be returning to Windows PCs full-time, and plans on remaining a Mac user --?with Windows 10 installed on a separate partition.

CNet

The site argued that Windows 10 "bridges the gap between PCs and tablets without alienating anyone," by combining the best of Windows 7 and 8. It also noted that the upgrade is "mostly painless," and currently free for most users of Microsoft's last two operating systems.

Unlike some other reviews, CNet suggested that many new features, such as Continuum -- which transitions smoothly between tablet and desktop modes -- will be useless to people who don't have a touchscreen. It also said that Cortana is better for smartphones than computers, and warned that Microsoft's plan for automatic, mandatory updates could potentially cause trouble.

ZDNet

Long-time Microsoft-focused columnist Mary Jo Foley commented that she likes Windows 10 more than Windows 8, and is glad to have it on her touchscreen laptop, but is "not entirely sold" on installing it on her touchless desktop system. The OS is allegedly missing apps and functions that will make it feel finished, like fleshed-out OneDrive support, though major updates are coming this fall.

Foley noted that she doesn't need the Xbox app, Continuum, or even Mac-like desktop organization features such as Task View and Virtual Desktops. Things like Cortana and the new Start Menu were considered pluses though, as were Edge's speed and minimalism.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 105

Windows 8 was a disaster in every way. Windows 10 goes a long way to correct those errors championed by Sinofsky.

• Reply 2 of 105
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    I am so excited for Microsoft... An upgrade that finally fixes the past.
  • Reply 3 of 105
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Cue the "Windows 10 downloads > Apple Watch sales" click bait.
  • Reply 4 of 105
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Well after switching from Media Center on my Windows 7 Pro system, (I was never going to install Windows 8 garbage on my Custom built system) and moved to Tivo setup, I am ready to make the jump to Windows 10. I'm not going to rush and install it though. I'll let all the suckers try it first and complain and then I can see if it's anything I have to worry about. It really looks like to me that MS rushed out this update and the Rumored original launch was in October and that's when a major Windows 10 update is now happening instead. I may be better to hold off and wait a few months. After all you have a year to get the free update.
  • Reply 5 of 105
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Does it surprise anyone that all these pro-Windows sites are trying to keep relevant themselves by giving pro-Windows 10 responses? Microsoft will stay relevant not because of their OS or any of their services but because they are so entrenched in US government and enterprise installations that it will be very difficult for these installations to ever change to something else. Microsoft doesn't really need to upgrade their OS to keep customers, in fact forcing companies to upgrade could be the only way they would change to something else.

I have been running the developer version in Fusion and for all those people who say it works better than OSX, they're crazy. It's still a mess figuring out how to change settings and every time I go through a new setting it comes up with a really strange, childish wording like the following:

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/61339/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
  • Reply 6 of 105
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Windows 10 appears to be a solid update, but did anyone expect Cnet or ZDNet to not give it a favorable review? Those two sites are shills for Microsoft.
  • Reply 7 of 105
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Reviewer Tom Warren described Windows 10 as "hugely exciting," claiming that he rarely uses his MacBook Air anymore as a result.

You can always count on theVerge to make sensational, clickbait statement that make no sense. 

• Reply 8 of 105
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member

At this point, Microsoft has one platform left: Windows for PCs. That's what their focus is on and where all their resources are going, so it's going to be good.

Apple right now has OS X, iOS (phone and tablet), Watch, a car...

• Reply 9 of 105
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Apparently Windows 10 is not just a facelift on top of the legacy code base. Our specialized medical imaging server (PACS) is not entirely compatible with it for some reason. The bad part in this case is that Windows 10 is free and a recent update to Win 7 and 8 installed a nag ware pop up which starts popping up today encouraging users to upgrade. Some of our customers may install it and break their system. We sent them several messages warning them to wait for our patch but you never know. They see the word FREE and they click it.

• Reply 10 of 105
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member

I have not yet updated to final version but I can say that with beta testing of 10, it was a huge improvement over 8. 

• Reply 11 of 105
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    konqerror wrote: »
    At this point, Microsoft has one platform left: Windows for PCs. That's what their focus is on and where all their resources are going, so it's going to be good.

Right, and that 'one' platform's sales and profits are not exactly doing too well ... TWA, PANAM ... Microsoft ....
  • Reply 12 of 105
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    mstone wrote: »
    Apparently Windows 10 is not just a facelift on top of the legacy code base. Our specialized medical imaging server (PACS) is not entirely compatible with it for some reason. The bad part in this case is that Windows 10 is free and a recent update to Win 7 and 8 installed a nag ware pop up which starts popping up today encouraging users to upgrade. Some of our customers may install it and break their system. We sent them several messages warning them to wait for our patch but you never know. They see the word FREE and they click it.

It seems that way. I use Windows 8.1 a lot and find with Ten (used since beta started) I had to spend a while finding where they moved things to, once done, same ol' same ol'. It's Lipstick on a Pig to be sure. With the exception of extreme gamers who build there own, Microsoft's only remaining user base is IT, Government and Business and they are not going to leave 7 any time soon any more than they did XP, many still use XP as we all know, even paying for continues support (is it amy wonder hackers do so well?). New users are few and far between these days as the numbers show all too clearly. Dead man walking, sorry Cnet and ZDNet, I hope you have a back up plan.

Out of interest can you easily remove that pop up?
  • Reply 13 of 105
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

Actually, I bet they make more money on Windows server and all those crazy server applications with expensive client licenses than on Windows desktop software. They can give away the desktop OS because they make a ton of money on maintenance contracts. Their push to cloud-based everything is another way to keep people paying them no matter applications or products they sell. The PC platform is basically dead as far as profits are concerned but the cloud and client licensing is never going to go away as long as people continue to use Microsoft products. I believe Microsoft is continuing to upgrade or apply new lipstick onto Windows just to make them seem relevant while gouging existing customers through these licenses.

• Reply 14 of 105
    aeleggaelegg Posts: 99member

This post is mostly off-topic (O/S upgrades), but I'm still too terrified to update my Yosemete which will replace my iPhoto with Photos.

I understand that my entire library (35,000 pix) will get dumped into a single album and just be there; hard to interact with, etc. etc.

Does anyone have a brown paper bag I can breathe into and calm down?

I know Photos is supposed to unify the Events/Albums into a single iOS-style construct, but I'm an iPhoto-Event addict.

What's to be done?

Can anyone talk me off the ledge?

- Scared

• Reply 15 of 105
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm worried about that too.  I've had a couple of Geeks assigned to testing all our tools on Windows 10 to see if people upgrading is going to be a disaster or not.

Aside from that though, the little I've seen of it, Windows 10 does seem pretty nice, especially with one of those tablets with the removable keyboard.

Not even close to interesting enough to make me consider using one, but I could see how it will keep people from considering moving to Apple from Windows.

• Reply 16 of 105
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Cue the "Windows 10 downloads > Apple Watch sales" click bait.

http://americasmarkets.usatoday.com/2015/07/22/microsofts-phone-outsells-apple-watch/

Already happening.

• Reply 17 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Windows 10 appears to be a solid update, but did anyone expect Cnet or ZDNet to not give it a favorable review? Those two sites are shills for Microsoft.

Wait. I though c|net was a shill for Apple. At least that’s what the c|net troll army says.

• Reply 18 of 105
    jackansijackansi Posts: 116member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

But... you're on an Apple shill site...

• Reply 19 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aelegg View Post

This post is mostly off-topic (O/S upgrades), but I'm still too terrified to update my Yosemete which will replace my iPhoto with Photos.

I understand that my entire library (35,000 pix) will get dumped into a single album and just be there; hard to interact with, etc. etc.

I know Photos is supposed to unify the Events/Albums into a single iOS-style construct, but I'm an iPhoto-Event addict.

What's to be done?

- Scared

Your fear is irrational. First of all, you are not required to launch the new Photos app and migrate your photos. Just don’t use it. You can keep right on using iPhoto as long as it’s version 9.6.1 or higher. It’s not deleted by the Yosemite update and remains in your Applications folder.

• Reply 20 of 105
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aelegg View Post

What's to be done?

- Scared

Uh, no. Your current albums and events will still be retained under "albums" in photos. Don't read all the sensational horse-shit you read on the net. Backup your photos first to another location to be safe, but I had zero issues transitioning, and once I got used to it, I loved the new version infinitely more.