iPad's dominance continues to fade in shrinking tablet market, latest IDC data shows

Posted:
in iPad edited August 2015
While the Apple iPad held on to its position as the leading tablet brand worldwide during the June quarter, the gap with other tablet makers shrank -- as did the market overall, according to IDC research data released on Wednesday.

Apple's share slipped from 27.7 to 24.5 percent year-over-year, owing to a drop in shipments from 13.3 million to 10.9 million, IDC said. This appears to have partly been the result of gains by Lenovo, Huawei, and LG. Lenovo's share rose from 4.9 percent to 5.7, while Huawei increased from 1.7 to 3.7, and LG jumped from 1 percent to 3.6.

Samsung, Apple's leading competitor, saw its share slip a percentage point to 17 percent. The "others" category -- representing numerous smaller vendors -- dipped to 45.6 percent of the market from a previous 46.7.

The tablet industry as a whole declined during the quarter, with shipments falling 7 percent to 44.7 million. IDC analyst Jitesh Ubrani suggested that the market has been impacted by several factors, such as larger smartphones, and people keeping their tablets for longer before upgrades.

"But with newer form factors like 2-in-1s, and added productivity-enabling features like those highlighted in iOS 9, vendors should be able to bring new vitality to a market that has lost its momentum," Ubrani added.

One focus of iOS 9, launching this fall, is making the iPad more distinct from the iPhone. It will for instance enable split-screen multitasking, Mac-like keyboard shortcuts, and trackpad-like cursor control.

iPad sales have been shrinking for six quarters in row. Beyond introducing iOS 9, Apple is also expected to reinvigorate its "post-PC" device with a 12.9-inch model that could offer things like a USB-C port and a pressure-sensitive Bluetooth stylus.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 101
    appexappex Posts: 687member

The iOS is a toy and not fully compatible with the real computer (Mac). Apple should make a Mac tablet. Not for heavy work but the ultimate Keynote and PowerPoint presentation tool.

• Reply 2 of 101
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    The iPad is not a toy but You know something's wrong when the iPad is weaker than something less than half its size. I wish Apple would take the iPad more seriously.

Inb4 the hate.
  • Reply 3 of 101
    lwiolwio Posts: 110member

Half of those Android tablets are given away with new Android phones.

• Reply 4 of 101
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member

I hate that there's no reference to what the asterisks are for next to LG and Huawei. Probably in the original report, but not picked up here.

• Reply 5 of 101
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lwio View Post

Half of those Android tablets are given away with new Android phones.

Cue the next story...

iPad accounts for 99.99% of all tablet profits and app useage.

• Reply 6 of 101
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

The iPad is not a toy but You know something's wrong when the iPad is weaker than something less than half its size. I wish Apple would take the iPad more seriously.

Inb4 the hate.

How is Apple not taking iPad seriously with iOS 9? Apple doesn't need to turn iPad into a laptop.

• Reply 7 of 101
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    QQ Apple is dooooomed!
  • Reply 8 of 101
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

The iOS is a toy and not fully compatible with the real computer (Mac). Apple should make a Mac tablet. Not for heavy work but the ultimate Keynote and PowerPoint presentation tool.

Clueless. These stupid surveys mean nothing—most likely to Apple, as well. Apple just keeps its head down and keeps cranking out improved versions of hardware and software. iOS 9 promises to breathe new life into its mobile devices, including iPads. The iPad Pro is also a new category which has typically been given short shrift by bloggers and gossip mongers, I mean reporters.

• Reply 9 of 101
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Straight from the earnings conference call:

"We do not participate in the low end of the tablet market, but we are extremely successful where we do compete. NPD recently indicated that iPad has 76% share of the US market for tablets priced above $200. "  Apple CFO

Any full size tablet under $200 or mini tablet under $100 is considered garbage.

• Reply 10 of 101
    lwiolwio Posts: 110member
    Quote:

Hmm like the surface which the 'flop' of an apple watch has sold more off and windows 8 that MS is busy running away from because everyone hated it.

• Reply 11 of 101
    Quote:

What these dummies don't realize is iPhone 6+ is cannibalzing iPad sales.  That's just the truth.  So isolating just iPad sales by itself is stupid.

If you look at total iOS units sold (iPad + iPhone) Apple is growing unit sales by 15-20% YoY.  Add to the fact that the 6+ cannibalizing the ipad is increasing average selling price, gross margins, and profits.  The Q4 units for 2015 is an estimate based on Apple's guidance.

You said iPad in general? I would say iPad Mini got cannibalized actually.

• Reply 12 of 101
    It's like the 1980s all over again /s
  • Reply 13 of 101
    Quote:

Here we go again. Stop making the stupid assessment of full Mac OS tablet. Get a Surface and a life.

• Reply 14 of 101
    If true, the fault lies directly with Apple. They've treated it like the red headed stepchild of iOS from a software standpoint for the last several versions.
  • Reply 15 of 101
    Quote:

Could be both.  iPad mini is obvious.  But I know many people who held of upgrading their regular iPad because they don't use it as much with owning a 6+.

I own an iPad Air and now I only use it at home.  I say my iPad usage has gone down about 40% since I got the 6+.  If you don't use an item as often you are less willing to shell out bucks to upgrade.

The good thing is you would need to sell 3 Mini's to make the profit of a single 6+

The reason people not upgrading full size iPad could be its longevity, not because of 6+. I would upgrade my Air when it's no longer able to run the latest iOS. However, I will not do the same for my Mini 2 and it'll be  a passed down toy for my 2 years old.

• Reply 16 of 101
    Quote:

Could be a factor.

But why is Android tablets units going down also?

IMO the reason is a significant portion of users prefer to use phablets instead of tablets.

That is why I've always thought for the past 2 years that Apple should just report total iOS devices.  

Android tablet is shit anyway.

• Reply 17 of 101
    Apple owns a smaller percentage of a shrinking market ... but in the quarter of the lowest sales. I wonder how many people think touch screen PCs, which people routinely get at Sam's Club, have in general replaced what would have been a tablet buy.

It doesn't matter, though. Apple will stay in this market until the bottom drops out for the non-profitable players. Would I replace my iPad? Yes. But just not to get a new-and-shiny. It still works great and I'm still exploring what it means to have one, even though it's been two years since I turned off its little cellphone radio when I got my iPhone. Still quite stoked about the little thing.
  • Reply 18 of 101
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

The reason people not upgrading full size iPad could be its longevity, not because of 6+. I would upgrade my Air when it's no longer able to run the latest iOS. However, I will not do the same for my Mini 2 and it'll be  a passed down toy for my 2 years old.

You get it.

Why upgrade when the vast majority of what one does on an iPad is e-mail, Facebook, web, Youtube.  It runs on iPad3 it also runs on an iPad Air2. 

I think the new MacBook is for those who want mobile but need something more than iOS.  

• Reply 19 of 101
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    sog35 wrote: »
    but Android tablets were growing real fast just 2 years ago.  

But Android tablets began to slow down the same time as when the big Samsung phones got popular.

iPad sales did not slow down much until the 6+ came out.

Coincedence?  I think not.
    Proclaiming the iPad to be the post-pc world event was a bit premature wasn't it? IMO tablets in general are not quite as "needed" as some of us thought, including myself.
  • Reply 20 of 101
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Allow multiple login accounts like Mac. Each has different wallpaper, apps, settings, etc. make it so only on new iPads and watch the families like mine upgrade. Until then, whatever. Our gen 2 iPad works just great for the movies and apps we use.