iPad's dominance continues to fade in shrinking tablet market, latest IDC data shows

Comments

• Reply 21 of 101
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Where does Amazon fall in this list? Under others? I think that's the real story.

Also, what's considered a tablet? Are cheap-ass Tablets in the mix? Apple doesn't compete with crap.
  • Reply 22 of 101
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    The reason people not upgrading full size iPad could be its longevity, not because of 6+. I would upgrade my Air when it's no longer able to run the latest iOS. However, I will not do the same for my Mini 2 and it'll be  a passed down toy for my 2 years old.

This. Apple made them too good. I normally upgrade mobile devices for 2 reasons.
    1) Because of inability of a device to run the latest OS.
    2) Or more importantly, when the battery starts to fail and they start losing charge.

iPads are bricks, in a solid sense. No need to upgrade until one or both of the above occurs.

Posted from an iPad2
  • Reply 23 of 101
    trubadortrubador Posts: 80member
    iPads are not on 2-year contracts with providers, and they are similar in nature and in use to desktops/laptops. So there's going to be a much slower turnaround for newer models. Which is why it makes sense for Apple to start alternating iPad releases. Even years get the iPad Air updated, while odd years get the iPad Mini and iPad Pro updated. Saves on cost and manpower while maintaining an edge in the growing tablet market.
  • Reply 24 of 101
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Proclaiming the iPad to be the post-pc world event was a bit premature wasn't it? IMO tablets in general are not quite as "needed" as some of us thought, including myself.

Hold your horses!

The ? pen and Force Touch are bound to change the game yet again.

Really, we haven't seen the last of the Post PC era.

• Reply 25 of 101
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Apple never HAD dominance in the market of "ultra-cheap video players."

That market is massively growing, and Apple doesn't want it.

The market of app-platform tablets? I think Apple's doing just fine there. It's a market not growing as fast: the shift from PCs is slow (will never be 100%) and people keep their iPads a long time. But the tablets do more and cost more, and it's a market Apple created and wants to be in.

Not all tablets are created equal. Look at market segments if you want a detailed picture of the truth.

(This isn't pure speculation--the TechPinions folks have discussed the data on these two almost-unrelated "tablet" markets many times. Super-cheap tablets for video are HUGE worldwide--even with no Internet connection. People play pirated video from SD cards.)
  • Reply 26 of 101
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Proclaiming the iPad to be the post-pc world event was a bit premature wasn't it? IMO tablets in general are not quite as "needed" as some of us thought, including myself.

I don't think it was pre mature. Aren't PCs slumping at a higher rate, especially if you remove the Mac from the mix.
  • Reply 27 of 101
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    sog35 wrote: »

Having multiple users for a tablet is flatout dumb.
    Why would it be dumb for a family? Apple offers it as a feature for your personal MacBook Air? I understand why it might look dumb from Apple's business perspective, or your investor view.
  • Reply 28 of 101
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member

Just bought a cheap droid phone—Just can’t justify the cost for an iPhone since I use it so little and even an older second hand one cannot be used without an expensive contract.

Can’t believe the crap that is on the droid phone, the tracking etc. Have to find a friend who can help me dump as much of the crap as possible. I am not into learning much about its horrid OS. Chrome has to go; will install Safari.

I also bought the 16GB iPad Mini (already have gen iPad 3 which continues to work very well). The iPad mini 2 is for books, reading and audio, the odd movie, TV show, a little music, a few apps and for $275, it is amazing in quality build and usability.

I tried two cheap book readers, one from Chapters and the other from B&N. First one died early on and couldn’t be replaced, the second is a hand-me-down—utterly useless,  B&N dark ages technology.

My new ‘older’ iPad mini is so well crafted and useable. It and my iPad3 are work horses and I won’t have to replace them for a long time.

Namaste and care,

mhikl

• Reply 29 of 101
    @GG
    "Why would it be dumb for a family? I understand why it might look dumb from Apple's business perspective, or your investor view."

Only one user can use it at a time.
    Christ I would hate to share with the kids - they have their own iPad4s
  • Reply 30 of 101
    mr o wrote: »
    Hold your horses!

T<span style="line-height:1.4em;">he ? pen and Force Touch are bound to change the game yet again.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Really, we haven't seen the last of the Post PC era.</span>
    We may not have seen the last of it. Still premature IMO.
  • Reply 31 of 101
    Yea - God, I rember when we only had this iPad I'm posting on (iPad2) - jeez the fist fights ... lol
  • Reply 32 of 101

It looks to me that for a minimalist, whether by design (like me) or due to personal economics, one has a "mobile screen," i.e., iP6 and a super large screen - a flat screen TV at home.

For work, a MacBook/Pro that one takes to work and brings home.

I personally like working on the iPad....early on it really forced companies/web designers to up their game. Many websites/apps are easier to use on an iPad than on a desktop.

Best.

Edit: Ok, along with the above an AppleWatch would be nice, too. So, to recap, an AppleWatch, iP6, new MacBook (gold), AppleTV, TimeCapsule, and maybe an iPadAir for the couch. Yep, glad I'm a "minimalist!" :)

• Reply 33 of 101
    sog35 wrote: »

Mobile is taking over the PC.  Jobs was right.
    Oh, I agree with that. IMO it's not due to the iPad, which is what the original Jobs comment is attributed to isn't it whether that was his intent (which I don't think it was)?
  • Reply 34 of 101
    I think he was talking about mobile in a holistic sense
  • Reply 35 of 101
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

IMO it's not due to the iPad, which is what the original Jobs comment is attributed to isn't it whether that was his intent (which I don't think it was)?

This is a weird comment, even for you.  ;)

Historically speaking, the iPad blew away the industry, including Your Favorite Company, when it was introduced.  They chose to ride the coattails of this "post-PC" world with Chromebooks and Android-based tablets (both released after iPad).

So why are you boasting about prematurity (earlier post)?  Are you suggesting that people are returning to conventional desktops and laptops for casual use?  I'm surely not seeing that, at all.

• Reply 36 of 101
    IDC is publishing irrelevant numbers. Microsoft is not even there.
  • Reply 37 of 101
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    appex wrote: »
    The iOS is a toy and not fully compatible with the real computer (Mac). Apple should make a Mac tablet. Not for heavy work but the ultimate Keynote and PowerPoint presentation tool.

i know youre just trolling us, but iOS devices are far more powerful and capable than not only the PCs of yesteryear, but the mainframes as well.

so, go eat a donut.
  • Reply 38 of 101
    IDC is publishing irrelevant numbers. Microsoft is not even there.

lmao.
    Good one !
  • Reply 39 of 101
    dunemanduneman Posts: 3member

New member :-)

I think the statement that people wait to upgrade tablets is spot on. Bought my wife the iPad 1 in July of 2010. She kept it until late 2014 when we upgraded her to an iPad Air. She gave the original to her 80 year old mother and it still works fine for email, web and a few basic apps despite not being able to run the latest version of iOS.

I've had an iPad 2 since August of 2011. Works great - runs the latest version of iOS. Why fix it if it ain't broke?

all the best...

dm

• Reply 40 of 101
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Could be both.  iPad mini is obvious.  But I know many people who held of upgrading their regular iPad because they don't use it as much with owning a 6+.

I own an iPad Air and now I only use it at home.  I say my iPad usage has gone down about 40% since I got the 6+.  If you don't use an item as often you are less willing to shell out bucks to upgrade.

The good thing is you would need to sell 3 Mini's to make the profit of a single 6+

keen point... if a highly portable computer is what you want, the 6+ is the most portable (but not the most screen).

my ipad2 hasn't left the house in a year, save for a couple extended vacations (where my wife and I share a laptop/ipad combo on the plane).

Mini's will still exist (for those who don't want a phone)....  The product umbrella certainly looks like:

iPodTouch 4"  - children/gamers who have a non-i Phone  

(tbd phone 4") - I hold out that the iphone 'mini' will exist - skinny jeans phone

iPhone X 4.7"  -  The new flagship phone size

iPhone X+ 5.5" - Big Phone

iPad Mini 8"  - Small Tablet

iPad Air X 10" - Flagship Tablet

(TBD  12") - 'Work' Tablet

that 8" is pretty much the odd size/function... not phone mobile, not business big.

The key thing to consider is that tablets are the least portable devices, and given the new computing model (always connected - data & computations in the cloud), they will survive 4-7 years under normal use.  We are just now starting to see the retirement of iPad 2s, and it won't be until we see core tablet applications drive a system turnover, especially corporate (TouchID will be enabling for corporate needs).

So, this year over year decline is less an issue about desire, and more that the 'over $300' 'large format' phone-tablet market is saturated and niched covered at the bottom with phones, and high end with laptops.   Until there is a new killer app that drives people away from laptops/phones to tablets  this is likely the ratio (compared to phones/laptops) the tablets will be constrained to.