iPad's dominance continues to fade in shrinking tablet market, latest IDC data shows

Comments

• Reply 61 of 101
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Allow multiple login accounts like Mac. Each has different wallpaper, apps, settings, etc. make it so only on new iPads and watch the families like mine upgrade. Until then, whatever. Our gen 2 iPad works just great for the movies and apps we use.

You propose something that made iPad sale is even worse because now there's only 1 iPad in each household instead of multiple ones. Multiple logins? It's a personal device, for God sake, and I don't want other people's apps in my iPad and vice versa.

• Reply 62 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

This tablet cost $37 on Amazon.

this is the crap IDC is comparing to iPads that have an averaging selling price over 10x more.

IDC use any tablet with a screen larger than 5" which has an OS to compare with iPad. IDC data is garbage anyway.

• Reply 63 of 101
    iPad is a God send when traveling. It keeps me connected while offering entertainment. Sure I cant put together a perfect Power Point on it but think what you use your work computer for; mainly email, Lync/Skype, and opening attachments. All of which iPad CAN do! Calling it a toy when there are 1000's of work related apps for iOS devices is simply tr0lling.
  • Reply 64 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Seriously.  Used or new iPadMini's are so damn cheap right now there is no excuse not to get one for the kids.

got my 16GB Mini 2 on Black Friday at Best Buy for $225, the best price/value Apple device for me so far. My wife uses Air to do her stuffs, but falls back to my Mini when she goes for reading before bed because of its size and form factor.

• Reply 65 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

i know youre just trolling us, but iOS devices are far more powerful and capable than not only the PCs of yesteryear, but the mainframes as well.

so, go eat a donut.

In fact, the iPad itself is more powerful than entire NASA lab in Texas when Apolo 11 landed on the moon. 

• Reply 66 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

No it is not dumb.  I'd love have multiple logins on the iPad (and iPhone for that matter).   I'd love to be able to login as the "kids" and only have their apps be shown and then be able to login as me and have my apps shown.

Multiple discrete users would be a huge win on the iPad.

How the heck it would be a huge win on iPad when instead of selling 2-3 iPads to a household, now Apple can only sell 1? BTW, There's a solution for you: Surface.

You need a smoke, man.

• Reply 67 of 101
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    pscooter63 wrote: »
    This is a weird comment, even for you.  ;)

Historically speaking, the iPad blew away the industry, including Your Favorite Company, when it was introduced.  They chose to ride the coattails of this "post-PC" world with Chromebooks and Android-based tablets (both released after iPad).

So why are you boasting about prematurity (earlier post)?  Are you suggesting that people are returning to conventional desktops and laptops for casual use?  I'm surely not seeing that, at all.
    Nope. I'm suggesting that users of the iPhone 6s, Samsung S6, LG G4 and other larger screen smartphones are finding they cover the use profile for a tablet too in a lot of cases. Buying a tablet becomes redundant and unnecessary IMHO. It wasn't so much we all needed a tablet. We just "needed" something with a screen larger than 4".
  • Reply 68 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Nope. I'm suggesting that users of the iPhone 6s, Samsung S6, LG G4 and other larger screen smartphones are finding they cover the use profile for a tablet too in a lot of cases. Buying a tablet becomes redundant and unnecessary IMHO. It wasn't so much we all needed a tablet. We just "needed" something with a screen larger than 4".

Tell you what, large screen phones can play the role of tablets, but can never replace tablets. This is when user experience becomes important because the damn 9.7" Air can blow the shit iPhone 6+ out of water anytime for many tasks at home: reading, browsing, video, doc editing, writing and tons more things.

When I need quick information one something at home, I use my 6+ in my pocket, but if I need to browse it for a little while, my Air or Min 2 will be used. 

• Reply 69 of 101
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

No, it does not make it less "personal".  That is a bunch of dog dung.  Especially if you have segregated user content

No, it has nothing to do with them looking at things (for example perusing adult content).  It does have to do with things like business or financial apps, or other apps that they don't need to be looking at, on purpose or by accident, or accidentally deleting, etc.

It would also be nice if each kid could easily have their own high scores, custom worlds / progress, etc in games.

If I did not trust the kids, they would not have iPad access at all.

Why do YOU have to try and be big apologist for something that makes no sense at all?    Making the iPad support multiple users as an option, not necessarily the default, would only be a WIN for the iPad and Apple.   Are you too dumb to see that?

So, at this point I would accept that the bot you're responding to is simply out to irritate. You should cut your losses. The story with that one twists and changes depending on how it's shown up.

FWIW, it was only 12 months ago that my eldest son gave up his ipad1 for a mini2. the youngest still has his ipad2. they're durable and usable many years after release and often there is no reason to upgrade. That's not being cheap, that's being prudent. 

On the other hand, my mini will be passed to the youngest and I will probably just get a bigger iPhone next time around. 

A little bit of column A, a little bit of column B.

I suspect ('suspect' meaning I believe it as my own opinion so no, I won't be citing any third party sources) that Apple was looking at a similar upgrade consumer cycle to the iPhone, when it's probably more like 1.5 - 2x that. Maybe Apple will stop breaking out iPad sales soon (said tongue-in-cheek).

• Reply 70 of 101
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

If it ain't broke why fix it?

People hold on to their old iPads, why get a new one when the old one still works?

I've got two, a 64GB retina and a 16GB Air 2 I was given.

I use both, the difference is negligible for how I use them.

• Reply 71 of 101
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Just get a real computer: MacBook Air.  

Damn you're pathetic. So basically, you want Apple to throw its desktop OS un-optimized for touch, which is meant to be used with a KB/trackpad into a device WITHOUT a KB and trackpad, and with a touchscreen. Absolutely brilliant. And you're so proud of your incredible idea, that you need to spam it every chance you get. Believe it or not, no one is clamoring to use OSX on a touch screen except you. The rest of us are sane enough to realize that the new Macbook makes alot more sense than OSX in an iPad. 

• Reply 72 of 101
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member

ITs funny how in the god damn car market, they don't fracking compare BMW to fuckng Yugos, but here they do.

IDC is a bottom barrel shit peddler company.

By that token, Apple is a total "failure" in the PC market despite collecting 75% of the profits...

If I had to bet, Apple is collecting 80%+ of all tablet profits too.

This is only a worry to Apple if people with Ipads are moving down to crapware $50 tablets, otherwise, they're still in the ecosystem primed for other products with shorter cycles (or new products).

• Reply 73 of 101
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Any full size tablet under $200 or mini tablet under $100 is considered garbage.

Tablet for $99 is still a tablet as long as it competes with iPad, that it is if an average Joe buys one and not the other.

• Reply 74 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

ITs funny how in the god damn car market, they don't fracking compare BMW to fuckng Yugos, but here they do.

Car market is very different from gadgets. Most of the people physically can't buy Tesla even it is a dream car for them. Pretty much anyone can buy an iPhone or iPad, but some people are dumb enough to prefer chip vs quality. Why do you think Walmart is so successful?

• Reply 75 of 101
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    mr o wrote: »
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Proclaiming the iPad to be the post-pc world event was a bit premature wasn't it? IMO tablets in general are not quite as "needed" as some of us thought, including myself.

Hold your horses!

T<span style="line-height:1.4em;">he ? pen and Force Touch are bound to change the game yet again.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Really, we haven't seen the last of the Post PC era.</span>

How many Post PC eras are we going to have?
  • Reply 76 of 101
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    chadbag wrote: »
    No, it does not make it less "personal".  That is a bunch of dog dung.  Especially if you have segregated user content

No, it has nothing to do with them looking at things (for example perusing adult content).  It does have to do with things like business or financial apps, or other apps that they don't need to be looking at, on purpose or by accident, or accidentally deleting, etc.

It would also be nice if each kid could easily have their own high scores, custom worlds / progress, etc in games.

If I did not trust the kids, they would not have iPad access at all.

Why do YOU have to try and be big apologist for something that makes no sense at all?    Making the iPad support multiple users as an option, not necessarily the default, would only be a WIN for the iPad and Apple.   Are you too dumb to see that?

Here's the thing: we don't have evidence that Apple is selling more iPads because they don't offer multiple logins or user accounts. So this idea that they shouldn't do it because it will hurt iPad sales is ridiculous in my opinion. My guess is Apple hasn't done it because there are other more high priority things they're working on and it's complicated and will take time to do right.
  • Reply 77 of 101

deleted

• Reply 78 of 101
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

This is the case...

Most people need 'computing on the run'  and/or  'computing on the run in lieu of my big honkin laptop that I'm required to use in most situations'   I'm still making due with 3.5 (personal) and 4" (work phone) screens, and a laptop (just the tethering capabilities of the iPhone make this extremely useful).   a 6+ would be pretty close, but given that I have a laptop requirement (I live in a Visio world), I'll likely go to a 6s and be happy as I bury my shattered (front and back) iphone 4s.

The iPad is nice, but the true use case is 'replace laptop because all I need is a browser, a mail tool, and X critical apps that exist on the iPad'

That's a relatively small demographic.   I need a phone - and if I need a laptop, then why buy an iPad?

• Reply 79 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Here's the thing: we don't have evidence that Apple is selling more iPads because they don't offer multiple logins or user accounts. So this idea that they shouldn't do it because it will hurt iPad sales is ridiculous in my opinion. My guess is Apple hasn't done it because there are other more high priority things they're working on and it's complicated and will take time to do right.

Apple's DNA is 'personal' computers.   My guess is they are driving back to their roots, and it's not a high or medium priority for them. This is one of those things you got to say 'no' to, so the 'yes' things are truly great.

• Reply 80 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Tablet for $99 is still a tablet as long as it competes with iPad, that it is if an average Joe buys one and not the other.

There is competes, and impacts bottom line.

If the average joe will not spend more than $99, and Apple can't make a $99 tablet, it's not a sale lost to Apple, so it's not competition.

And looking at it another way... If Joe buys a $99 tablet as their learners permit, when they grow up and decide to buy a real $300 tablet, they'll consider a low end Apple Product, because they've learned how to use a tablet (and not depend on a keyboard).

The risk is if someone who has a full ecosystem and a amazing product line where their $99 'investment' has earned value on their next purchase that would take money away from Apple.  I just don't see a competitor today or in the near future for that to be a threat.