Samsung profits drop as mobile arm suffers 37.6% crash in Q2

Comments

• Reply 21 of 151
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    More bad news for Apple. Surprised the headline isn't "Galaxy sales still beat Apple Watch"
  • Reply 22 of 151
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

So, Apple stock tanked after they announced a record # of iPhone sales, 40% YoY growth, and 10B+ in profit. By this standard, I wonder how much Samsung stock should tank?

• Reply 23 of 151
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    slurpy wrote: »
    So, Apple stock tanked after they announced a record # of iPhone sales, 40% YoY growth, and 10B+ in profit. By this standard, I wonder how much Samsung stock should tank?

ahh Slurpy - you're just being overly pedantic.
    They missed the most important metric - analysts forecasts.

Samsung stock will rise because of unprecedented demand for curved screens.

/s
    (just in case anyone's in doubt)
  • Reply 24 of 151
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    If if Samsung didn't mismanage 4:1 S6:S6Edge, their sale would skyrocket....how do I still hear that bullshit here?
  • Reply 25 of 151
    peter236peter236 Posts: 254member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Samsung - done

Xiaomi - viewed as a cheap brand

Sony - about to give up

HTC - barely hanging one.  The HTC One looks old as hell

LG - sales sucked lately

Apple has ZERO competition in the high end.  I would not be surprised if the 2016 holiday season Apple sells 100,000,000 iPhones

Big vendors like Huawei, ZTE and Lenovo are giving Apple intense competition in the high end, especially in a large market like China.

• Reply 26 of 151
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

1) Why do you think some vendors have moved (slightly) away from their "make as many models as possible, sell at a loss, and we'll make it up in volume" plans? Answer: They weren't losing too much.

2a) They didn't really do it, they only moved slightly closer toward it; and I'm not sure that's enough to make it work.

2b) At any rate, starting a mere 2 years ago isn't what I'd call longterm. I'm talking about taking a real risk as a company that has a history of throwing everything a wall to see what sticks by completely changing course on everything in their mobile division and expecting that customer opinion and as a result profits could take 5 years or more (depending on speed of success) before your brand gets seen as a premium brand that customers wait in lines for, and your detractors append "-killer" to the end of your product because they hate that your company has so much mindshare. That is not something that only Apple can do in this space, it's merely that Apple is the only one that was willing to risk the road less traveled to make that a reality.

2c) Those timeframes to change the major of public opinion are really only if you want to keep the current names. If, for example, you create a luxury brand subsidiary like Lexus, Infiniti and Acura, you may be able to knock of a couple years since you're mostly building new brand awareness, not trying to rewrite a previous brand that you soiled for customers through repeated lackluster and half-ass products.

You can't build an elite brand around Android OS as there is always some participant willing to build (or copy!) premium hardware and ship it at a loss to gain market share. Samsung beat the odds because it controls so much of it's own supply chain. but even that looks tenuous.

Android OS commoditizes the Android market, and ultimately forces each player to compete on price.

• Reply 27 of 151
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Big vendors like Huawei, ZTE and Lenovo are giving Apple intense competition in the high end, especially in a large market like China.

Are they? Or is it more likely that Apple still maintains its premium branding, with increasing sales, while these players are merely consuming the market share of the previous Android sales leaders. I'm not trying to downplay the commoditization and race to the bottom, but do any of the Android OS or fork OS's really compete head on with Apple at this time?

I can't see any evidence of it.

• Reply 28 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

So long as Apple continues to rake in the majority of profits from smartphones I could care less about the Church of Market Share which Wall Street seems to value more....

Yeah, I tend to agree with you, but those Wall Street crooks are really slagging Apple to death despite Apple's profits.  Apple's value on Wall Street continues to deflate at a steady rate.  It appears the big investors are only buying stocks from companies with major market share and that really doesn't help loyal Apple shareholders at all.  Apple is making pretty good money but hardly anything is filtering down to shareholders.  All of Apple's YOY gains have done nothing to help the share price rise.  I don't think Apple should change its sales tactics but I'm at a loss on what Apple can do to get some respect on Wall Street.

• Reply 29 of 151
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    Yeah, I tend to agree with you, but those Wall Street crooks are really slagging Apple to death despite Apple's profits.  Apple's value on Wall Street continues to deflate at a steady rate.  It appears the big investors are only buying stocks from companies with major market share and that really doesn't help loyal Apple shareholders at all.  Apple is making pretty good money but hardly anything is filtering down to shareholders.  All of Apple's YOY gains have done nothing to help the share price rise.  I don't think Apple should change its sales tactics but I'm at a loss on what Apple can do to get some respect on Wall Street.
    Stop whining about wall Street and how it sees Apple on a day to day basis.
    In a year it's gone up 48%
    In 5 years it's gone up ~340%
    In 10 years it's gone up ~1800%
    You buy shares to stick with or you're just a day trader.
  • Reply 30 of 151
    shen wrote: »
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Yeah because making less models is a sure fire way to success.

No, it isn't.

But concentrating on making a small number of good models rather than shotgunning a million crap designs across the market might help.

Samsung has tried both ideas, and neither has worked... the shit just does. not. sell.
  • Reply 31 of 151
    peter236 wrote: »
    sog35 wrote: »

Samsung - done
    Xiaomi - viewed as a cheap brand
    Sony - about to give up
    HTC - barely hanging one.  The HTC One looks old as hell
    LG - sales sucked lately

Apple has ZERO competition in the high end.  I would not be surprised if the 2016 holiday season Apple sells 100,000,000 iPhones

Did you miss the memo where Apple announced they are totally cleaning up in China????
  • Reply 32 of 151
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Sales were

smooth.
  • Reply 33 of 151
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    proline wrote: »
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Yeah because making less models is a sure fire way to success.

Making 1-2 new models a year is the only business model (Apple's) that has shown any long-term success in mobile. So show it some respect please. It isn't going to work for everyone who tries it, but its a much better bet than the proven failed strategy of simultaneously cutting R&D while spamming more models.

What long term success? The mobile market is almost 40 years, and of which Apple has only been dominant for the last 2.
  • Reply 34 of 151
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    tmay wrote: »
    You can't build an elite brand around Android OS as there is always some participant willing to build (or copy!) premium hardware and ship it at a loss to gain market share. Samsung beat the odds because it controls so much of it's own supply chain. but even that looks tenuous.

Android OS commoditizes the Android market, and ultimately forces each player to compete on price.

Abso-freakin-lutey dead on.
  • Reply 35 of 151
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Samsung should check with Motorola how well going after the middle ground worked for them. What is interesting you would expect the middle ground to be the best place as you see in many products but in cell phones it's the worst place to be it's smaller than the top or bottom.
  • Reply 36 of 151
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    tmay wrote: »

Sure you can, just as people have done with Windows and countless other technology since the industrial revolution. A HW vendor that has no SW chops that has no choice but to use Android as their OS certainly doesn't have the same advantage as Apple, but that doesn't mean it's not possible, and it talks to my larger point about longterm planning and creating a better brand, like Apple choose to do so long ago.
  • Reply 37 of 151
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Delusional nonsense from a resident troll.

• Reply 38 of 151
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

What long term success? The mobile market is almost 40 years, and of which Apple has only been dominant for the last 2.

Well at least you admit Apple is dominant which interesting coming from someone such as yourself.

• Reply 39 of 151
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It's been 2 years since HTC moved to that strategy and it hasn't helped. Both LG and Motorola have streamlined their high end offerings as well and continue to lose market share. How much longer should we wait to see if that strategy will be successful?

There is no strategy that will beat Apple for any of them...those of us who have been following Apple long enough have said the clichéd words ecosystem and synergy long before fashionable on business news channels and blogs. Apple owns both, competition can only sniff and lick their lips.

Combined with Apple's incredibly high custsat ratings, strong innovation, and stringent focus on quality of product and experience, where do Samsung and others wedge in? And as Apple Watch continues to grow, the strengthening and widening of that ecosystem will make the challenge for competitors even greater.

I said a year ago that Samsung would be out of the smart phone market, or a niché player, in 2-3 years.

Hope for the competition is more that Apple falters then those companies doing anything meaningfully proactive. And that's possible. Apple Music/iTunes have issues to me, and some of Ive's minimalist GUI goes to far, too flat. But this is relatively minor, and there is so much brand, monetary and positive emotional equity users have in Apple that occasional missteps - especially if addressed - are quickly forgiven.

The other challenge for Apple is that they don't rest, that they continue strong innovation in specific products as well as ecosystem. There is no evidence that they are asleep in this regard.

If Samsung were to invest in their own OS to tie the hardware and software together, and figure out how to do the same on the desktop side, and develop seamless set of network, communication, and marketplace technologies on their own, etc etc., then they might might make inroads.

At this stage, what board would vote to invest in that?

• Reply 40 of 151

Poor Sammy. Poor, poor Sammy.

I hope you're feeling the pain and disgrace of your actions. This is what happens. This is what you deserve. You know it, Apple shareholders certainly know it, and now the world knows it as we witness your implosion.

Marketshare shriveling up. Profits shriveling up. Now Sammy mobile is about to shrivel up. All the pundits were praying this would happen to Apple...even fabricating facts to further their agenda. But, Apple will keep on going long after Scamsung is gone. I'll be waving to you on the way down Sammy....and don't forget to take CNBC's Melissa Lee with you and her little anti-Apple smirk!