Samsung profits drop as mobile arm suffers 37.6% crash in Q2

Comments

• Reply 61 of 151
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    mike1 wrote: »
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    What long term success? The mobile market is almost 40 years, and of which Apple has only been dominant for the last 2.
    Huh? 40 Years? In what alien world?

Silly me, you're one of them that believe Apple invented the mobile phone. FYI the first mobile phone was invented by Motorola in 1973. Do the math. The market is actually now over 40 years old. If you want to nit pick, then the first smartphone was introduced in 1992, making that market over 20 years old.
  • Reply 62 of 151
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 752member

Much more so than low-cost Chinese competitors, Samsung Mobile's demise can be directly tied to Apple releasing larger sized phones.  The worst kept secret in the industry is that Samsung was able to weasel in some success by jumping on the trend, which just happened to be taking off.  They got lucky and rode the wave for a bit, then the iPhone 6 came out and removed any reason to buy Samsung phones.

• Reply 63 of 151
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 752member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Silly me, you're one of them that believe Apple invented the mobile phone. FYI the first mobile phone was invented by Motorola in 1973. Do the math. The market is actually now over 40 years old.

While you appear to be taking a shot at Apple, you're actually providing and indictment of all the short-sighted manufacturers that allowed Apple to come in and eat their lunch in an incredibly short period of time.

• Reply 64 of 151
    igorsky wrote: »
    Silly me, you're one of them that believe Apple invented the mobile phone. FYI the first mobile phone was invented by Motorola in 1973. Do the math. The market is actually now over 40 years old.

While you appear to be taking a shot at Apple, you're actually providing and indictment of all the short-sighted manufacturers that allowed Apple to come in and eat their lunch in an incredibly short period of time.

I'm taking a shot at the OP, and yes shame on the other manufacturers for allowing Apple to eat their lunch, but the truth is it's too early to describe Apple's success in the market as long term.
  • Reply 65 of 151
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    From Motherboard... an article that AFAIC is the reason Samsung doesn't have a shot in hell. Because WHY would anyone pay iPhone premium prices, or purchasing anything Android for a more than a few dollars if you can save up and have an (almost) holistic experience. This for the most important computer that you will own today and going forward.

[SIZE=5][URL=http://motherboard.vice.com/read/goodbye-android]Goodbye, Android[/URL][/SIZE]

I’ve been antagonistic with Apple products ever since I was a teenager, when Apple used to try to shove its apps down my throat (cough iTunes cough) whenever I just wanted to watch a movie trailer on Quicktime. I never liked Apple’s walled garden and “we-control-everything” approach, and I particularly disliked Apple fanboys’ dumb “oh my god there’s a new iThing coming out” reverence and hysteria.

So when the original iPhone came out a few years ago, I swore in multiple heated discussions with friends and strangers that I’d never buy an iPhone. Since then, I’ve only owned Android phones. First a few HTC ones, now a Sony phone.

Well, I’m sick of it. And I’m ready to go to the dark side.

Don’t get me wrong. In many ways, Android is great. I love its open source ethos and the ability one has to customize it. But I can’t take it anymore for one simple, but really fundamental, reason.

[B][SIZE=5][COLOR=purple]Google still has very little control over software updates, and Android users are basically at the mercy of their carriers and phone manufacturers[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Edited to add: best chance Samsung has is jumping on the Windows 10 Train to Hoboken... oops... uh.... Hololens?
  • Reply 66 of 151
    BTW: ^^^^^ that article is really good, short and to the point... the very same that many folks have made here on these forums many times across threads for years.

Also, the comments contain a different kind of humor not seen in these parts all that often. Some actually funny stuff... including trolls... :smokey:
  • Reply 67 of 151
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

GTFO.  Those are cheap ass China brands that are selling phones that are half the price of iPhones.  Those phones have ZERO effect on iPhones sales.  No one cross shopping an iPhone vs a ZTE POS.

Huawei, ZTE, Lenovo are stealing share from Samsung and other Android makers.

My grandma just got a ZTE POS a few months ago.  Some little screen thing and only uses it as a backup phone only.  Nothing else.  Would have been happy with a dumb phone if she could have gotten one.

• Reply 68 of 151
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

FYI the first mobile phone was invented by Motorola in 1973.

I did not know this. I thought I had the very first Motorola cell phone in 1984 for which my company paid nearly $4K. Mine was the second phone installed in the NYC area, two weeks before the first cell tower was turned on. The first phone went to the CEO of a grocery store chain.

• Reply 69 of 151
    Edited to add: best chance Samsung has is jumping on the Windows 10 Train to Hoboken... oops... uh.... Hololens?

Hoboken? Oooooh I'm dying.
  • Reply 70 of 151
    mstone wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;"> FYI the first mobile phone was invented by Motorola in 1973.</span>
    I did not know this. I thought I had the very first Motorola cell phone in 1984 for which my company paid nearly $4K. Mine was the second phone installed in the NYC area, two weeks before the first cell tower was turned on. The first phone went to the CEO of a grocery store chain.

That would still make the mobile market older than 30 years, which is eons in the tech world.
  • Reply 71 of 151
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

From Motherboard... an article that AFAIC is the reason Samsung doesn't have a shot in hell. Because WHY would anyone pay iPhone premium prices, or purchasing anything Android for a more than a few dollars if you can save up and have an (almost) holistic experience. This for the most important computer that you will own today and going forward.

Goodbye, Android

I’ve been antagonistic with Apple products ever since I was a teenager, when Apple used to try to shove its apps down my throat (cough iTunes cough) whenever I just wanted to watch a movie trailer on Quicktime. I never liked Apple’s walled garden and “we-control-everything” approach, and I particularly disliked Apple fanboys’ dumb “oh my god there’s a new iThing coming out” reverence and hysteria.

So when the original iPhone came out a few years ago, I swore in multiple heated discussions with friends and strangers that I’d never buy an iPhone. Since then, I’ve only owned Android phones. First a few HTC ones, now a Sony phone.

Don’t get me wrong. In many ways, Android is great. I love its open source ethos and the ability one has to customize it. But I can’t take it anymore for one simple, but really fundamental, reason.

Google still has very little control over software updates, and Android users are basically at the mercy of their carriers and phone manufacturers

Which essentially means your carrying a wonderful hackable phone from the time you buy it (or shortly thereafter) without any hope in this regard (or so little). I give you sympathy.

• Reply 72 of 151
    foggyhill wrote: »

[SIZE=24px]Goodbye, Android[/SIZE]

[SIZE=24px]Google still has very little control over software updates, and Android users are basically at the mercy of their carriers and phone manufacturers[/SIZE]

Which essentially means your carrying a wonderful hackable phone from the time you buy it (or shortly thereafter) without any hope in this regard (or so little). I give you sympathy.

All phones are hackable in one way or another.
  • Reply 73 of 151
    formosaformosa Posts: 261member
    Quote:

Goodbye, Android

Good article. Best quote:

As security researcher Nicholas Weaver put it in a (now deleted) tweet, ”Imagine if Windows patches had to pass through Dell and your ISP before they came to you? And neither cared? That is called Android.”

• Reply 74 of 151
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    rogifan wrote: »
    So when do the tech sites report this. I see nothing on any of them right now. You know if this was Apple it would be front page news everywhere.:rolleyes:

So true.

Then again, Sammy's profits drop every quarter so i guess they don't see this as anything new... ;)

Seriously though, it is good to see history not repeating itself for once. I did half expect this Apple vs Samsung (read Android) to become another Beta vs VHS or Early Apple vs Microsoft ... i.e were cheap crap beat quality due to price.
  • Reply 75 of 151
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    Quote:

Goodbye, Android

Google still has very little control over software updates, and Android users are basically at the mercy of their carriers and phone manufacturers

Going to Windows or Blackberry or even Android, You are in fact in a WALLED Garden!!!  Do those Android Apps you now own run on anything else?  Do those Windows Apps run on Android?  See what I mean, seems Kind of walled to me.   Android is far from OPEN.  That myth really needs to die.  Google has control and is grabbing more and more control over the OS.   There's many limits any company can do with the OS and you have to put Google front and center on your phone.  I'm pretty much impossible to have your own services as everyone wants to use Google's services.  Samsung keeps trying, but it keeps failing.  

Google could have had FULL control over software updates. They just refused to do it.   Look at Windows on the Desktop.  It can be installed on thousands of different hardware combinations.  Far, Far more then then the Android combinations possible.  There's was zero reason why Google couldn't control the OS updates themselves and the phone manufactures could have still thrown on their Skins as long as they were following Google's API's They each could update as they saw fit independently.  Google releases a Android Update and anyone could go and grab it and it would fully update the OS right then and there to get the new features.  Then Samsung and LG at a later date if they wanted, update the skin of the phone and features to take better advantage on their phones if they wanted.  

This is ALL Google's fault!!!!  Google saw what Apple was doing with iOS before Android was released.  They could have done the same!!!!  Windows had been around for years as a Example of Updates on millions of different computers which is what a Smartphone is, a Mini Computer.  All Google cares about is Android on as many phones as possible as to sell Ad's!!!   They don't give a crap who sells them or if they even make a profit.  They can go out of business and someone else will move in.  All that matters is Ad's and the more Info they can get from you the better and more you're worth.

• Reply 76 of 151
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Dig deeper into the numbers.

Mobile Revenue Q2 2014 - 27.51 billion
    Mobile Revenue Q2 2015 - 25.50 billion
    Revenue down 7.3% YoY

Mobile Operating profit Q2 2014 - 4.42 billion
    Mobile Operating profit Q2 2015 - 2.76 billion
    Profit down 37.6% YoY

So revenue is down only 7.3% but profit is down a massive 37.6%

That simply means Samsung is selling WAY LESS TOP END phones compared to last year.  That is why profits are down massively even though overall revenue is mostly flat.  

The iPhone is totally dominating the high end 
    look at the profit from Chip division:40% up, but why so much? It's because Samsung switched to in house chips for S6/S6 Edge +coming Note 5. Samsung actually made money on themselves ...cross divisions.
  • Reply 77 of 151
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    By that I meant the sudden appearance of a new player in the space. Bad wording on my part. Time and time again we've seen Apple adopt an idea, and blow it away. You want to put a fingerprint scanner? We'll show you the proper way to do it, and then we'll incorporate it into a secure payment system using a NFC chip. You want to go with a bigger screen? We'll show you the proper way to do that as well. Apple has the money, and the personnel to eliminate all threats.

And almost always that happens for Apple years after the competition jumped in with their half-assed quarter-assed attempts that never got the HW right and/or the SW right and/or the services right and/or the ease of use right.

NFC and mobile payments had been around for so long and been such a horrible failure on so many levels for so long that I was constantly at odds with the regular members here when I repeatedly said that NFC is the only reasonable way to go for a mobile payments solution. That was even after detailing my idea as to how Apple (or really anyone) could make a service that was great… and that happens to be (by no coincidence but because it's the only one that made sense) what we have no with Apple Pay (and soon with Android Pay).

Most companies run on the idea of: cut twice, measure once (maybe, if we have time in the future).
  • Reply 78 of 151
    foggyhill wrote: »

Strange reply?!

I'm certainly not rockin' an Android. Although to be honest, I have considered it a few times only because I'm curious, like tech, and "try" to not get called out by my sig from Realistic. Well... not often anyway so it becomes a complex or anything like that... :D
  • Reply 79 of 151

Would you agree or disagree: some more than others? :rolleyes:
  • Reply 80 of 151

Would you agree or disagree: some more than others? :rolleyes:

Theoretically yes. All these vulnerabilities, and exploits are things that can happen. We'd be literally frozen in fear if we worried too much about the things that can happen.