Suppliers expect widespread adoption of USB Type-C in laptops, smartphones thanks to Apple...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    mstone wrote: »
    Type-C  8.4mm by 2.6mm 
    Lightning 7.7mm by 1.7mm

iPhone 6 is 6.5mm thickness
    iPhone 6+ is 7.1mm

USB-C should fit.

Maybe it can, but showing the total thickness of an iDevice doesn't making a convincing argument. I held the USB-C port interface and male cable end up to my iPhone and I'm not sure it's enough for the component that needs to be inside the device, especially if Apple wants to make it thinner next year. I have to think Apple will want to get rid of the 3.5mm audio jack at some point.

PS: I WANT USB-C to replace Lightning on all Apple products.
  • Reply 22 of 57
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    jorgie wrote: »
    Yea, I a sure it will be successful because Apple used it.. Its success will have nothing to do with the fact that it is faster, smaller, more durable, and reversible.

awesome fourth post in eight years, dude.

also: do some research and you'll find that apple had something to do w/ those attributes in USB-C.
  • Reply 23 of 57
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    lkrupp wrote: »

No way did Apple’s MacBook adoption of USB c-type influence or accelerate its adoption by other OEMs. That’s just nonsense hype from an AI writer. Look, I’m as big a fanboy as any but come on now, USB has won hands down. NuBus, SCSI, ADB, Firewire, Thunderbolt have all LOST! It would not surprise me to see Apple drop Thunderbolt in the next few future Mac iterations. Heaps of praise to Apple for trying to promote new technologies but they all lost. I’m sitting here right now on my 27” iMac 14,2 using a Thunderbolt->Firewire adapter so I can keep using my perfectly good Firewire external hard drive. Any new drives will be USB 3.0 period. I’ve learned my lesson.

what on earth are you talking about? winning? losing? these are cable formats, not baseball teams. they don't win or lose, they get utilized.

also, apple was the major force behind implementing USB 1.
  • Reply 24 of 57
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

what on earth are you talking about? winning? losing? these are cable formats, not baseball teams. they don't win or lose, they get utilized.

also, apple was the major force behind implementing USB 1.

Utilized or not utilized equates to win/lose. What part of that don’t you get? Firewire ‘lost’ and is no longer ‘utilized’ en masse. There I fixed it for you.

• Reply 25 of 57
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    jackansi wrote: »
    Apple's adoption did help a little with USB 1.0...
    Actually I would say it was a major factor in USB's success. The PC world took forever to switch over completely to USB.
    They still could have put two USB-C ports in the MB.

This is perhaps Apples biggest screw up of late. I really like the concept of the Mac Book but can't rationally recommend it to anyone and didn't buy it when I got a new machine this year. The primary problem being the lack of ports. On the other hand the ability to take a charge for almost anywhere is very appealing, I really do wish that Apple was more agrees ice with the USB-C roll out. USB-C needs to be on all Apple machines by the end of the year.
  • Reply 26 of 57
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    bwik wrote: »
    Same s/// different day. Suppliers can do whatever they want, but Apple themselves will drop the idea within months. Which will leave everybody out in the wilderness, again, for the 35th time.

Nah
  • Reply 27 of 57
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

The #1 reason why I absolutely HATE USB. Seriously pisses me off all the time the plug is the wrong way.

• Reply 28 of 57
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

No way did Apple’s MacBook adoption of USB c-type influence or accelerate its adoption by other OEMs. That’s just nonsense hype from an AI writer. Look, I’m as big a fanboy as any but come on now, USB has won hands down. NuBus, SCSI, ADB, Firewire, Thunderbolt have all LOST! It would not surprise me to see Apple drop Thunderbolt in the next few future Mac iterations. Heaps of praise to Apple for trying to promote new technologies but they all lost. I’m sitting here right now on my 27” iMac 14,2 using a Thunderbolt->Firewire adapter so I can keep using my perfectly good Firewire external hard drive. Any new drives will be USB 3.0 period. I’ve learned my lesson.

You don't know what you are speaking of.

Apple isn't going to drop Thunderbolt, and in case you are unaware of it, Thunderbolt 3 is migrating to the Type C connector.

There are too many performance advantages of the next generation of Thunderbolt versus USB 3.0 and professionals are quite aware of this.

• Reply 29 of 57
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    The Lightning-connector's days are numbered, but there is no compelling reason for Apple to change it soon. USB-C makes sense, and may very well be the replacement for lightning, but won't happen soon due to all the third-party support for lightning, and lack of limitation with lightning (and the fact that Apple gets paid by third parties building lightning accessories).

Ironically, Android will support USB-C before iPhone/iPad due to the above reasons, which will give Android lovers a little ammo to toss at Apple users once Apple replaces lightning. But Apple won't care, and by the time they switch, there will be mature support for this port.

My only personal regret about the current implementation on the MacBook is the loss of the MagSafe adapter, which has probably saved my laptops from damage multiple times when my children tripped on a cord.
  • Reply 30 of 57

Yeah they could have but I think they didn't just to prove that it was unnecessary.
    For some it might be unnecessary, for many of use it is mandatory.
    They are advancing their vision of the way people should be using computers.
    That is unfortunate if true. I really think this is Apple repeating the same stupidity that they engaged in with the first MBA models. It was marketing pressure that finally got them to add in easy to use ports.

Beyond that many people, myself included have a bit of a technical bent in their laptop usage. This requires the availability of ports, mostly USB ports.
    Charge it up at night and work all day storing data in the cloud.
    Complete reliance upon the cloud has been shown to be a mistake again and again.
    USB external and flash drives are obsolete for a portable. 

That is pure baloney. At the Very least you should have at least one back up solution on an external drive. The only practical way to do so with today large drives is via a wired connection. So be it a time machine drive or something else you need to consider that external drives aren't going away anytime soon. That doesn't include any other uses for an external drive which are still needed due to the small capacity of currently shipping SSD's. The only good thing here is that some of Apples machines come with TB ports which allows one to keep the USB ports free, that is secondary store can go on a TB port.

All of that doesn't even include the other uses for hard USB ports on a machine. There is a whole world of devices out there that need serial connections that won't go away overnight many of which will never have network connections. The need for multiple USB ports comes up so often that it simply isn't advisable to have only one port on a machine.

When the Mac Book was first introduced I was a bit excited about the machine, but that heat quickly cooled off to nothing when I realized the machine only had one USB-C port. It just isn't a rational way to configure the machine and seems to deny that the technically inclined would find such a machine useful.
  • Reply 31 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tmay View Post

You don't know what you are speaking of.

Apple isn't going to drop Thunderbolt, and in case you are unaware of it, Thunderbolt 3 is migrating to the Type C connector.

There are too many performance advantages of the next generation of Thunderbolt versus USB 3.0 and professionals are quite aware of this.

Funny, that’s exactly what was said about Firewire too in the beginning. And ‘professionals’ were quite aware of Firewire’s performance advantages then also. Now it’s gone from Apple’s desktop lineup. 

• Reply 32 of 57

No way did Apple’s MacBook adoption of USB c-type influence or accelerate its adoption by other OEMs. That’s just nonsense hype from an AI writer. Look, I’m as big a fanboy as any but come on now, USB has won hands down. NuBus,
    That is like saying the AT bus lost. Being supplanted by more advanced technology isn't loosing.
    SCSI,
    SATA is dead too though some people don't want to give it up. Like SCSI the tech is simply being replaced by newer more performance interfaces.
    ADB,
    ADB actually had a very long run considering the tech. Apple being a very early adopter of USB realized that the tech supporting ADB had run its course. This isn't any different than what happened in the PC world that went through a couple of keyboard port standards.
    Firewire,
    Wel I will give you that one. It seems like FireWire has become the interface for jet fighters.
    Thunderbolt have all LOST!
    Actually TB has been fairly e problem is people think of it as a competitor to USB and frankly it has never been a competitor to USB. It is a different technology to solve a different problem.
    It would not surprise me to see Apple drop Thunderbolt in the next few future Mac iterations.
    The TB Interface will be through the USB-C connector, they won't drop anything and rather will have a port that configures itself automatically.
    Heaps of praise to Apple for trying to promote new technologies but they all lost.
    You have a very negative view here. Your mind set would say that the 80286 lost to the 80386 and so on down the line. Being supplanted by new technology isn't loosing. Seriously would you expect the Centronics interface to last forever?
    I’m sitting here right now on my 27” iMac 14,2 using a Thunderbolt->Firewire adapter so I can keep using my perfectly good Firewire external hard drive. Any new drives will be USB 3.0 period. I’ve learned my lesson.

For a simple external drive it is silly to use anything other than USB these days. At the time FireWire was important though you would have taken a big performance hit with USB. Like wise USB is now a performance bottleneck for high performance SSD based storage systems. Most people don't need high performance storage systems so USB is the right course of action these days.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

At the Very least you should have at least one back up solution on an external drive. The only practical way to do so with today large drives is via a wired connection. 

I probably should have clarified that I meant external drives are obsolete for a portable [while] portable. Nobody wants to carry around an external HD and if they need more ports then they should get a MBP. You can always backup with a TM drive when you get back home. The point is that because it has the newer battery technology, average users do not even need to bring a charger with them when they leave the house. In normal usage you should usually have the USB port available for occasional use and WiFi is very prevalent these days.

Quote:

All of that doesn't even include the other uses for hard USB ports on a machine. There is a whole world of devices out there that need serial connections that won't go away overnight many of which will never have network connections. 

Again this is not the machine for those usages. Apple intended the MB as a light duty, elegant, extremely portable machine that is rarely, if ever, going to need to be wired to anything while out and about. If that usage case does not describe your needs then it would be foolish to buy it. I have the most powerful MBP available because that is what I need, but our president can get by just fine with the new MB.

• Reply 34 of 57

Funny, that’s exactly what was said about Firewire too in the beginning. And ‘professionals’ were quite aware of Firewire’s performance advantages then also.

Yes and professionals made a point to use that tech for as long as it gave them an advantage. I'm not sure what your problem is here, it is the nature of tech to eventually be replaced by something new and faster. This is what has driven the rapid improvements seen in the industry.
    Now it’s gone from Apple’s desktop lineup. 

So? Really I wish you would explain your irrational problem with the advancement of technology. There was a time when all we had was black and white displays, do you think we should return to those days? Speaking of which there have been many video port Interface standards over the years, do you really think those old standards where losers because they have been replaced by faster and better ports?

You seem to be at odds with evolution here. This is sad for anybody involved in tech because it demonstrates a thorough mis-understanding of how we got to the place we are today. Tech evolves and morphs as advancements are made, it has nothing to do with winning or loosing.
  • Reply 35 of 57
    I probably should have clarified that I meant external drives are obsolete for a portable [while] portable. Nobody wants to carry around an external HD and if they need more ports then they should get a MBP.
    This I agree with, it can be a real pain in the butt to carry around an external hard drive. However today we have thumb drives that often can do the job.
    You can always backup with a TM drive when you get back home. The point is that because it has the newer battery technology, average users do not even need to bring a charger with them when they leave the house. In normal usage you should usually have the USB port available for occasional use and WiFi is very prevalent these days.
    Yet I already hearing that the Mac Book doesn't have the battery life users would like. Speaking of which my recent MBP purchase has very pleasing battery life as long as you aren't doing anything demanding. As such the need to carry around a charger hasn't completely gone away, it just isn't mandatory anymore.

Again this is not the machine for those usages. Apple intended the MB as a light duty, elegant, extremely portable machine that is rarely, if ever, going to need to be wired to anything while out and about.
    That is Apples problem and as such I have the right to reject the concept. The problem here is that a light duty, very portable machine is exactly what one might want when working in the field. In this case working on devices that demand serial connections.
    If that usage case does not describe your needs then it would be foolish to buy it. I have the most powerful MBP available because that is what I need, but our president can get by just fine with the new MB.

That is fine and dandy but I think you mis the point, ports aren't about performance power, they are about connectivity. I'm not even sure how the two got linked in Apples designs but often you simply need ports and not performance. In the case of the Mac Book we are only asking for one more USB-C port, it isn't like this should be a major design problem for Apple.
  • Reply 36 of 57
    rptrpt Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Of course you are right, after USB 3.0 we never need an improvement, neither non-USB or USB ever need an improvement. End of history as far as connections are concerned!

• Reply 37 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

In the case of the Mac Book we are only asking for one more USB-C port, it isn't like this should be a major design problem for Apple.

As I stated earlier, putting another USB port is not a design problem, the single port simply represents Apple's philosophical perspective on mobile computing. The MB fills a very small gap between the iPad and the MBA. The iPad has only one port too, yet people around here are claiming that it can fulfill the needs of enterprise.

I think some people have come to use their MBP or MBA as their primary computing device. Personally, I only use my MBP when on a business trip, at a meeting or on vacation. I prefer a desktop for daily tasks and browsing. I don't think the new MB was designed as a primary computing platform unless your needs are very basic.

• Reply 38 of 57
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Quote:

SCSI wasn't an Apple standard.

Correct, SCSI was not developed by Apple, neither was NuBus for that matter.

FireWire was initiated by Apple in 1986 but then developed by the IEEE 1394 Working Group. Apple first included it in 1999 and began replacing it with Thunderbolt in 2011, while ADB was used from 1986 by Apple and even NeXT until 1999 replaced by USB, both 12-13 year runs, not too shabby for standards in a highly competitive and rapidly evolving industry. They both outlived the 30 pin connector outfitting 100s of millions of devices.

USB was first used in 1998 at 12 Mbit/s quickly superseded by 2.0 only 2 years later at 280 Mbit/s, good for 8 years until 3.0 in 2008, using 6 different connectors along the way, now replaced after 7 years by the new incompatible connector for 3.1. Your qualification of ‘lost’ would seem rather arbitrary and since any new drives should not be USB 3.0 but the new incompatible 3.1, it would also appear that you might have at least one more lesson yet to learn.

• Reply 39 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jony0 View Post

since any new drives should not be USB 3.0 but the new incompatible 3.1

I though 3.1 was backwardly compatible with 3.0 devices.

• Reply 40 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RPT View Post

Of course you are right, after USB 3.0 we never need an improvement, neither non-USB or USB ever need an improvement. End of history as far as connections are concerned!

It’s getting a little tiring reading the stupid responses to my original post. The sarcasm and the name calling is about as offensive as it gets. So let me try to rephrase myself. In the future my purchases of external devices will be restricted to the prevailing format or connection protocol of the day. I will no longer sink money into the connection technology du jour that Apple happens to be promoting at the time only to have it disappear a generation or two later, like Firewire. If it’s Thunderbolt then it’s Thunderbolt. If it’s USB version x.x or whatever then that. It will not be what Apple is pushing at the time and other OEMs are not on board with. Currently USB 3.x is what almost everybody is using so that’s what I’ll be using until the next common standard arises.