Surging iPhone, plummeting feature phone sales push Apple past Microsoft in mobile market

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iObserve View Post

I thought the same thing until I realized they're NOT talking about WINDOWS phones, they're talking about NOKIA. Most of the general public would easily make the mistake to assume the article is talking about windows phones. It is a misleading and poorly written title. And a lazy writer who doesn't include the fact they're talking about Nokia shipments which is a subsidiary of Microsoft.

Please don't say Nokia.  Nokia, still exists as a non-phone company.  Nokia sold off their mobile phone division to Microsoft.  This is Microsoft now.  So the article is absolutely correct referring to Microsoft phones (which were formerly Nokia phones).

• Reply 22 of 32
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I could be wrong but I thing the heading is misleading. I think it means to say Apple's mobile now larger than Microsoft's entire sales ... not Microsoft's mobile market share.

Or perhaps as others have said this is Nokia but that makes little sense either to me.

All of the Lumia phones, etc, are Microsoft now.  Not Nokia.  This article is factually correct.  

• Reply 23 of 32
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    quazze wrote: »
    I must be trippin'! I don't recall Microsoft selling 50+ million phones ever, let alone plummeting sales of 27.8 million in the quarter. For years as Microsoft tried to weasel into the smartphone market, they'd always hold around 1-3% market share.

Am I missing something here?

I have to agree where the hell are all those phones. I've not seen one since 2008. Let's not forget the source of this information is strategy analytics and they are know for making things up to suit their purposes.

Edit: forgot they are including nokia numbers into the total picture.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    I just ran across this article at LinkedIn by Benedict Evans at Andreessen Horowitz:

[SIZE=5][URL=https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/microsoft-capitulation-end-windows-everywhere-benedict-evans?trk=pulse-det-nav_art]Microsoft, Capitulation and The End of Windows Everywhere[/URL][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]Quote: "Microsoft today, I think, is a case study in knowing when you should indeed give up, and what you should do after that."
    [/SIZE]
    OUCH!
  • Reply 25 of 32
    retrogusto wrote: »
    lkrupp wrote: »
    And this means what exactly?

It means Microsoft just lost 7,800 of their best customers.

As part of their severance package each departing employee was given a brand new Kin phone...
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

That Microsoft is loosing even more money on the Nokia deal

• Reply 27 of 32
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thompr View Post

I think that the previous poster made a good point but you apparently missed it when you slid into an absurd example to counter his point.

Wasn't absurd, just an observation, never said it was fact. It's easy to say things are driven by sales, this is true for existing products. I never knew I needed a smart phone until I saw it demonstrated by Steve. I was sold without even touching the device.

• Reply 28 of 32
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Want to hear something even crazier? Even Symbian, a platform that Microsoft killed off, [URL=http://operamediaworks.com/innovation-and-insights/state-of-mobile-advertising-2015-q2]still destroys Windows Phone[/URL] in global economy web traffic (and ad revenue).!
  • Reply 29 of 32
    lkrupp wrote: »

Tim Cook and the Apple of DOOM.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

Please don't say Nokia.  Nokia, still exists as a non-phone company.  Nokia sold off their mobile phone division to Microsoft.  This is Microsoft now.  So the article is absolutely correct referring to Microsoft phones (which were formerly Nokia phones).

Nokia gets the rights back for the Nokia brand, and will be able to build phones again after December 31, 2015. This was a stinky deal but it mist have smelled like roses to Ballmer.

• Reply 31 of 32
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    The very first sentence states the 'global cellphone industry', nothing after that alludes to any other market. I just don't ever remember seeing MS as the #2 mobile OS on any list, maybe in select countries but never worldwide.

Yes you are correct, I updated my post after I re-read but before you quoted me it seems.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    And table or graph is where? Should not be presenting such data in plain text forbidden?