New Apple TV rumored to debut in September with touchpad remote, dedicated app store, Siri support

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited August 2015
A report on Thursday claims Apple plans to unveil a next-generation Apple TV model with its own app store, revamped remote control, Siri support and more at the company's yearly iPhone event in September.

Sources familiar with the matter informed BuzzFeed News of the upcoming launch plans, emphasizing that Apple intends to also introduce a dedicated Apple TV app store and software development kit.

Hardware is said to be thinner than current Apple TV models and contain refreshed internal components like a faster A8 system on chip, more storage and a revamped operating system with support for Apple's Siri virtual assistant. Today's report echoed earlier rumblings that a revamped remote with touchpad controls is to be included with every unit.

Evidence pointing to an Apple TV refresh has mounted over the past few months. In June, for example, code discovered in an iOS 9 beta referenced an as-yet-unreleased set-top box.

Initial reports claimed Apple TV would debut at this year's Worldwide Developers Conference, but Apple allegedly postponed the unveiling because the product wasn't fit for prime time.

As for Apple's rumored over-the-top subscription streaming service, BuzzFeed said not to expect an introduction in September, as the company is currently negotiating deals with content providers and major networks. The unannounced service might see the light of day later this year, but more likely in 2016, the report said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    Any word on whether it will have IGZO and Skylake?
  • Reply 2 of 74
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

How about USB-C ?

• Reply 3 of 74
    About damn time! I've been putting off getting one for at least two years. This will help my decision to cut the cord or not.
  • Reply 4 of 74
    Why does it need to be thinner? It'd be nice if the things had some heft to them to keep them on entertainment centers and the like.
  • Reply 5 of 74
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    More muddying the "other" bucket so people have an even harder time figuring out ?Watch sales. Love it. :D
  • Reply 6 of 74
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    Just ship it! ;) Feature complete and bug-tested, of course! ;)
  • Reply 7 of 74
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Why does it need to be thinner? It'd be nice if the things had some heft to them to keep them on entertainment centers and the like.

If it comes with a control pad, it is probably using BT not infrared. If it doesn't need line of sight and if it is thin enough, perhaps you could velcro it to the back of the set completely out of view.

• Reply 8 of 74
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

Actually I like the idea, it would allow mounting the device in places where the current one can't go. Effectively you could make the unit invisible.
  • Reply 9 of 74
    All the updates in hardware department won't matter much for someone truly looking to cut cord. We need to be able to access all the channels on Apple TV now without having subscription to cable/satellite company. Apple just needs to negotiate with the network and be able to offer contents like HBO, Showtime, and Netflix. I know this isn't easy, but this will tryuly make Apple TV a viable cord cutter; not the fancy hardware/Siri upgrade. Sure, it would be nice to have touch control and Siri access, but more content access is what it really needs.
  • Reply 10 of 74
    planktonplankton Posts: 108member

After waiting almost 3 years for this, any rumour now feels like the "Free Beer Tomorrow" sign in a pub.

Ship it already Apple even if the TV contracts won't be inked until 2016.

• Reply 11 of 74
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...  at the company's yearly iPhone event in September.

Yay.

• Reply 12 of 74
    romanmarromanmar Posts: 32member
    I'll believe it when I see it, they been putting it off for years. Other than that having siri on a remote would be welcomed. With what they are describing it seem it would cost more than $100, prolly like $200, which is just pricy.
  • Reply 13 of 74
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    I'm a big fan of velcro. Apple can make it as thin as they want.

My fantasy is the entire industry would standardize on the smallest cable possible. Super thin and super light. The back of my TV is a mess and all those clunky HDMI cables pull all the boxes every which way.

USB C would be nice, for everything.

I'm hoping the new Apple TV is a gaming machine as well.
  • Reply 14 of 74
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Finaaallleeee.
    Hallelujah
  • Reply 15 of 74
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member

I do hate that the HDMI cable and power plug are enough to pull the Apple TV so you have to use Velcro or something sticky to keep it facing forward.
  • Reply 16 of 74
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    Many months, if not over a year ago, I seem to recall some chatter about a shipping container filled with an Apple product that was speculated to be a set-top box or new Apple TV at the time. Of course, after this amount of time that speculation is highly unlikely.
  • Reply 17 of 74
    Yea - def not ATVs :D
  • Reply 18 of 74
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member

I'm going to predict 'meh' on this one. Not because of the hardware--I'm sure it'll be wonderful, and "just work"--but because of the restrictions on the content it'll have access to. 

No need to go into specifics, but I doubt the phrase "You can watch whatever you find. It just works," will not be used during its unveiling. 

"Well, you'll need to log into your Netflix account. For Hulu, you'll need to authenticate. For EXISTING Comcast subscribers..." 

Stratified into oblivion. 

• Reply 19 of 74
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    I really hope this comes with the per-user UI that will alter the content shown based on which family member is in control of the remote.

mstone wrote: »

If it comes with a control pad, it is probably using BT not infrared. If it doesn't need line of sight and if it is thin enough, perhaps you could velcro it to the back of the set completely out of view.

1) I am hoping that a modern BT remote can connect fast enough after sleep mode or is power efficient enough to not need to ever lose a connection.

2) I'd like to see an induction charger set up for the remote. Perhaps built into the top of the Apple TV but also with a discreet cradle option that can be plugged further away from your TV.
  • Reply 20 of 74
    solipsismy wrote: »

2) I'd like to see an induction charger set up for the remote. Perhaps built into the top of the Apple TV but also with a discreet cradle option that can be plugged further away from your TV.

To take that a little further - what about a unified charging dock that can handle all smaller mobile devices.
    It's a jungle of cables at our place. Chargers and cables left right and centre.

An Apple solution to this problem would be greatly welcomed and sell boatloads

4 phones, 3 iPads plus bt speakers etc etc. The amount of stuff that needs to be charged regularly is a real issue and needs a large amount of space.