Apple could be held liable for supporting terrorism with strong iOS encryption, experts theorize

Comments

• Reply 41 of 183

Meanwhile.. google is CURRENTLY HOSTING terrorist propaganda, and doesn't feel the need spend the resources necessary to remove it:

YouTube Says It's Too Overwhelmed to  Keep Terrorist Videos Off The Site

Edit: emphasis added

• Reply 42 of 183
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    adhir wrote: »
    If Apple can be held liable for making iPhones, why shouldn't the gun manufacturers be held liable for making the guns that domestic terrorists are using to shoot up our schools and malls?

Exactly the very point I was going to make.

This is so looney that I suspect the gun money will rotate all the way around till they're weirdly on "my" side: I bet the gun lobby fights against this BS because it's an obvious easy step to make the same proclamation about guns.
  • Reply 43 of 183
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 44 of 183
    bwinskibwinski Posts: 164member
    Rampant paranoia is spreading faster than climidia in a Washington DC congressional hearing. I thought I had witnessed the highest level of paranoia feasible in a human back in the very first military draft that determined if your chances of dying in the jungles of SE Asia went up above 75% instantly versus drinking and blowing weed for a week if you new number was above 200...

BUT THIS new meme has slime coming out of peoples pores... We REALLY need these two, Wittes and Bedell, to take up a clandestine look-out post on the highest peak of the Golan Heights, with new 3000 power binoculars with laser range finders, so they can start squealing on EVERYONE !!! Do you believe the screed the rethuglicon loon squad has busted loose mow ?? Apple, and LOTS of other realistic tech companies, will tell these folks to pound sand where the sun don't shine because it'll be easier to lock EVERYBODY up than crack this problem.

Tim should just politely tell Wittes and Bedell to FU** OFF and keep on walkin....
  • Reply 45 of 183
    How ridiculous. Perhaps governments should start using iOS to make their own shit a little bit more secure.
  • Reply 46 of 183
    I was shocked by this paragraph from the journalist:

As The Intercept reported, the hypotheticals just made the ongoing government surveillance versus consumer protection battle "uglier."

Consumer protection has nothing to do with the issue. The privacy battle is between government and the citizen, with all his/her constitutional protections, and not between government and consumers.

As to the argument of the legalists, if they are right, then the laws are wrong, and must be changed to protect the citizen from government, which can be a good friend, but is a bad master.
  • Reply 47 of 183
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

Empty, soulless, unethical lawyers. They need to clean out their own profession.

• Reply 48 of 183
    chippedchipped Posts: 12member
    Get off the meth, cunts.
  • Reply 49 of 183
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    Removing encryption from consumer devices has nothing to do with terrorists.

1. A terrorist can just roll their own encrypted vpn or chat, or simply employ one of many 3rd party networks
    2. Recent terrorist acts were conducted without using encrypted messages, it's not even the problem
    3. This allows foreign governments easy access to spy on communications
    4. Proposed "backdoors" will eventually be discovered, people who discover them aren't going to announce their knowledge
    5. Steganography doesn't require encryption
    6. It's inane to think that this will help, there are simply too many ways to discreetly communicate a message
    7. It's like blaming a paper company for a letter that was written on their paper stock.
  • Reply 50 of 183
    joaquimjoaquim Posts: 9member
    It proves then that the Government wants and has access to private information from other tech companies and it seems that only Apple is on its way. And if that's the case, then that's the end of privacy as we used to know it.

Terrorism should be fought by finding the causes for it and work towards a socio-political solution to weaken this kind of threat. I believe that by invading people's privacy is in itself another form of terror.

On the other hand I am pretty sure that the Government already has ENOUGH intel and advanced technology not only to identify acts of terror but also to prevent them Terror is just an excuse to give them access to information that will eventually be used to other causes such as: to increased political and economical power.
  • Reply 51 of 183
    joaquimjoaquim Posts: 9member
    It proves then that the Government wants and has access to private information from other tech companies and it seems that only Apple is on its way. And if that's the case, then that's the end of privacy as we used to know it.

Terrorism should be fought by finding the causes for it and work towards a socio-political solution to weaken this kind of threat. I believe that by invading people's privacy is in itself another form of terror.

On the other hand I am pretty sure that the Government already has ENOUGH intel and advanced technology not only to identify acts of terror but also to prevent them Terror is just an excuse to give them access to information that will eventually be used to other causes such as: to increased political and economical power.
  • Reply 52 of 183
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member

BS! take it to court, so called "experts".

Terrorists would just god damn encrypt their own files, use their own apps that encrypt the channels (setting up dev accounts and enterprises to do so).

They must think those guys just crossed the desert or something.

They'd have to prove the terrorists wouldn'T have used another way of communicating privately if they couldn't do it that way to be liable.

There is so much BS in the name of giving up your privacy and liberty.

• Reply 53 of 183
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member

Yes, the terrorists can encrypt their own files, set up their own VPN, store nothing locally, whatever.

They could set up their own front "enterprise" and load up their own private apps on IOS that way.

They must think terrorists just dropped off the last camel... (sic).

A lot of terrorist org these days seemingly have their own IT departments.

• Reply 54 of 183
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Well, there's no accounting for bad taste. I guess the moderators didn't think it was funny either. It's gone.

And don't be so literal. I wasn't talking about who Boltsfan likes to have sex with, just a part of his identity he might be afraid of that explains his obsession.

I'm not going to "lighten up" on his kind of baiting.

Serisouly lighten up. So I make a post and now somehow I have this mysterious obsession? You're nuts. What kind of baiting? I said something ridiculous, which I thought was funny, to reply about the ridiculous blog post. If you took my post seriously, maybe you need to look in the mirror about your identity. 

So many freaking crybabies in this country. Guess the crybabies whined to have my post deleted. 

• Reply 55 of 183
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

So if Apple can be held accountable, what about Facebook and Twitter? Those are the biggest recruiting tools for groups like ISIS. What about Toyota? Will the be held accountable for making the trucks ISIS uses? 

• Reply 56 of 183
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    boltsfan17 wrote: »

Serisouly lighten up. So I make a post and now somehow I have this mysterious obsession? You're nuts. What kind of baiting? I said something ridiculous, which I thought was funny, to reply about the ridiculous blog post. If you took my post seriously, maybe you need to look in the mirror about your identity. 

So many freaking crybabies in this country. Guess the crybabies whined to have my post deleted. 

I remember your post history. You're busted. You don't get to make off-topic gay jokes without someone pointing out that you must be talking about yourself without knowing it. Maybe if you were openly gay yourself you could get away with it, but then you wouldn't be making that "joke" then, would you?

I didn't report you. I doubt if anyone else did either. You're crying because you have to wise up.
  • Reply 57 of 183
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    A non issue, 'support' is not specific for terrorists.
    A weapons or car company is also not accountable for the use of its products, unless of course they know in advance that a specific buyer intents to do wrong.
    Everyone can use apps that support total encryption like PGP on a non secure device, so the security of the device itself is merely a convenience but not a necessity.
    It can be argued however that Apple makes tools that prevent a (any) totalitarian regime from gaining complete control. So in a sense Apple provides a service to freedom.
    (Note that Apples reasons to do so are probably from a practical perspective and not a moral one, but it's the effect that counts.)
  • Reply 58 of 183
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    That's why people hate lawyers.
  • Reply 59 of 183
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

knowing or intending

They are lawyers?

• Reply 60 of 183
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member
    It's interesting how people, this author included, write about the government as an entity separate from the people. In this case vs. people. There's definitely some truth to it, but ultimately the people are in charge of this country if they'd wake up and care.

That's a big "if". Also, the power of individuals and individual lawmakers has been quite limited for some time, especially with regard to the federal government's power (executive, legislative, and judicial) in enacting counterterrorism and other "national security" policies and procedures-see FISA courts.