Fully assembled 'iPhone 6s' display purportedly shown off in new photos

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited August 2015
A set of photos published to the Web on Saturday supposedly show an assembled next-generation iPhone display, potentially offering a first look at Apple's rumored Force Touch implementation.

Adding to the trickle of supposed parts leaks, today's trio of photos posted to the Weibo account of Chinese repair firm GeekBar show front and back views of a display unit reportedly bound for Apple's "iPhone 6s" handset. Previously, a series of pictures supposedly revealed an iPhone 6s front panel without LCD components.

Compared to current iPhone 6 models, the part shown off in today's images appears to incorporate the same rounded glass edges and general shape, with no change to ear speaker or camera positioning. On the back, the LCD module and other internals are obscured by the usual protective metal shielding, though a few differences stand out.

The most obvious change is an off-center rectangular cutout located toward the top of the screen. An unknown component can be seen poking through, though its exact purpose cannot be determined due to moderately low image quality. Extrapolating its position in respect to iPhone's expected logic board and battery layout suggests the part could be a grounding insert.

Also, the alleged iPhone 6s shielding itself appears to be riveted on all four sides, a major departure from existing iPhone display backings which are held on by screws and clips. While mere conjecture, these black dots could potentially be related to Force Touch technology, a feature rumored for inclusion on Apple's next-gen phone. The most recent reports claim suppliers are just now ramping up manufacturing for the pressure-sensitive components.

Apple is widely expected to release its next-generation iPhone models at a special event this fall. A report last week claimed Apple's hotly anticipated Apple TV revamp would debut at the same event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Where's the 6C? Still in Ming Chi Kuo's ass?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    If Apple does use force touch on a large screen like this, I hope it works better than the click screen of the old Blackberry Storm.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    melgross wrote: »
    If Apple does use force touch on a large screen like this, I hope it works better than the click screen of the old Blackberry Storm.

If I remember correctly the whole entire screen on the Storm moved. Great idea with god awful implementation. If BB had made anything like the Z10 back then I think they would've fared much better, and not be in the position they are now.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Rivets? Crud. That's going to make replacing screens a lot harder than current models. Hopefully this is just a prototype.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    joninsdjoninsd Posts: 74member

The Storm (I had the Storm 2) was despicable, and the click-screen was among its worst features. I haven't messed around with force-touch much but I'm not too excited about what it'll improve upon, but I'll see soon enough when I get my new iPhone 6s Plus. It's mainly just to substitute for the double click, right? Or are there other rumored features?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    joninsd wrote: »
    The Storm (I had the Storm 2) was despicable, and the click-screen was among its worst features. I haven't messed around with force-touch much but I'm not too excited about what it'll improve upon, but I'll see soon enough when I get my new iPhone 6s Plus. It's mainly just to substitute for the double click, right? Or are there other rumored features?

force touch is not a replacement for double tap. it's a new interaction. it's sort of like tap and hold, but it doesn't require duration, just force.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

if Apple releases it you can be certain it will work better than what a blackberry did.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    DaekwanDaekwan Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Sounds like you've never used a 2015 Macbook.  The Force Touch implementation on my '15 MBP retina is wonderful and size of the trackpad is pretty close to the size of the actual screen on my iPhone6+.  I switched directly from a 2014 non-FT MBP retina and was able to directly compare the two.. I absolutely prefer the 2015 FT trackpad.  You would swear that you clicking on the trackpad, but in reality we already know it never actually moves.

• Reply 9 of 10
    scartartscartart Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Sounds like you've never used a 2015 Macbook.  The Force Touch implementation on my '15 MBP retina is wonderful and size of the trackpad is pretty close to the size of the actual screen on my iPhone6+.  I switched directly from a 2014 non-FT MBP retina and was able to directly compare the two.. I absolutely prefer the 2015 FT trackpad.  You would swear that you clicking on the trackpad, but in reality we already know it never actually moves.

The haptic feedback is impressive, not so sure about the force click though - I know many people turn that off.

• Reply 10 of 10
    The new boss. Same as the old boss.