Apple Watch supplier misses 2M unit break-even point for Q2, FUD flinging ensues

Comments

• Reply 241 of 301
    atlapple wrote: »
    Aw... Can't tell the difference between you and what you say being called "stupid"? Because there is a subtle difference, trust me. People who get emotionally entangled in their own opinions cannot tell the difference, and take criticism of their opinions as criticisms of them personally.

But if you're complaining about a "condescending attitude," well, frankly, grow a thicker skin. This is the internet. The big league, not training camp, to use a baseball analogy. If you aren't comfortable having your posts challenged, maybe this isn't the right place for you. There are plenty of anti-Apple forums out there full of like-minded people who will help you confirm your biases and ignore your flawed arguments. Perhaps someone else can recommend one.

The moderators know the difference between thinned-skinned complainers who flag posts because they can't take what they dish out, versus mean-spirited, intentionally disruptive, hate speech, or personal attacks. In other words, they have common sense.

I invite you flag which ever posts you feel fits this criteria. Including this one. I trust the mods to make the right choice.

I believe I have a fairly thick skin, I'm sure my ignore list doesn't even come close to yours. I flag posts rarely but I do if they are a violation. Funny how the little group is coming out to defend each other and you are saying I don't have thick skin? So if the mods have common sense why are you posting this too me? Clearly they will decide what are violations and what aren't. 

I don't usually comment on a poster's motives -- but I read a history of your posts, and they are mostly contrarian, negative, challenging ....

Why are you here? You don't contribute anything by insulting members, mudding the waters, and attempting to hijack the threads ... In my mind, that's the definition of a troll ... Except you seem to be pissed off because you are not getting your expected yield/appreciation from AAPL stock ... Personally, I blame the Corinthians for AAPL declines!
  • Reply 242 of 301
    Oh boy. The day got away from me, and I haven't had the chance to check in here for a while.

Sure looks like I missed a lot of excitement...... perhaps that was a good thing. :D
  • Reply 243 of 301
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    I understand it. I also understand its a failure on the part of Cook. To allow analysts and the markets to speculate sales numbers on a product that was hyped this much is idiotic. 

you've provided absolutely nothing to prop up that argument. absolutely **** all. the only thing idiotic is some random guy sitting at his keyboard pretending to have better business strategy than the guy running the most successful public company in the history of our planet. as if!
  • Reply 244 of 301

No it wasn't, iPod, iPhone and iPad were all established products. The Apple Watch is Cooks first major release. End of story.

learn your fucking history -- Cook was part of the dream team that launched the iPod. as in, the handful of guys in the room.
  • Reply 245 of 301

Well I would respond to that but your abusive language and having to report it I really shouldn't.

give it up, you know you're a troll and you just got owned. man up, or slither away.

also - per the posted rules in the forums forum, swearing it permitted on this site.
  • Reply 246 of 301

Stock dropped because the iPhone didn't reach the number Wall Street wanted. It didn't drop because Mac, iPad or "other sales" didn't met expectations. The "Apple is doomed" got old a long time ago find a new catch phrase. 

people will mock trolls via "Apple is doomed" as long as trolls keep claiming it.
  • Reply 247 of 301
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

people will mock trolls via "Apple is doomed" as long as trolls keep claiming it.

Not to mention that the stock drop is more connected with "China worries" because of the pending "market crash" or "market correction" depending on how you see it.

• Reply 248 of 301
    solipsismy wrote: »
    PS: Rent Tim's Vermeer (it's on iTunes Store). This is something I think every child should watch since it shows how a seemingly insurmountable task can be conquered just one step at a time. As culture continually moves toward "instant gratification" I feel seeing how discovery and breaking down difficult tasks into smaller goals is a skill that will need to be taught more often. I may have mentioned this film before but your comments on woodworking made me think of it again.

Excellent. Thank you.

Edit: I would like to add something: interest in something is as much a prerequisite to success as is talent and having the (intellectual, physical, economical) means. In the case of Tim's Vermeer he had obviously the talent and also the money and time to do this. And when there is less of one you need a LOT of the other to compensate eventually. An example and IMHO excellent read is this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Longitude-Dava-Sobel/dp/0007214227.
    Reading this across to Apple and their country Norton it would appear to me as though while the means are certainly similar compared eg to Samsung, and I'm sure both hire talented and skilled people, the main difference comes through the interest (of lack thereof) in the products they make.
  • Reply 249 of 301
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,725member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Oh, you really were serious about those stupid questions. Fine, you asked, "Are you actually trying to tell me if the watch sold 15-20m units they wouldn't have released the numbers?"

One second, I need to gather myself after laughing so hard at such ridiculousness.

[several minutes later]

Yes, I believe that if Apple sold 15-20 million of any new HW product in a 9 week span of time I'm sure they would they made a statement.

What you fail to understand with your stupid query is that 1) it would be impossible to have sold that many of any new Apple HW category in that time frame regardless of people willing to buy it because the supply was not there, 2) Apple sold all the supply they had of Watch, 3) that they clearly did state during their quarterly call that i) it exceeding their exceptions, ii) exceeding the iPad and iii) the iPhone for that same time on the market, and iv) that sales were growing in speed, and 4) that they set this a year ago so there was no a) "going back on anything" or b) "hiding sales after the product flopped because Cook is too worried about gay stuff", 5) that the other hardware category saw a dramatic spike in revenue, and 6) that your stupid fucking hypothetical in no one way means they A) would done so or B) that it means — as you foolishly claim — that the sales are bad.

7) that they sold more in the third month than in the first according to the CFO.
  • Reply 250 of 301
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member

No it wasn't, iPod, iPhone and iPad were all established products. The Apple Watch is Cooks first major release. End of story.
    Tim Cook was senior Vice President of Operations for the very first iPod launch, and he was COO for the iPhone and iPad launches.

He was responsible for exactly those very processes and numbers that you now claim he fumbled for the Apple Watch due to inexperience.
  • Reply 251 of 301
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmay View Post

Actually, the Griffon was a follow up to the Merlin and was the last engine type of the family in production and saw a long service life in the Avro Shackleton.

It was considerably more powerful than the Merlin and had a counter-rotating prop version developed though it didn't go into production.

Wikipedia is great, isn't it?  Did you look at the numbers built?  About 150,000 Merlin vs. 8,000 Griffon.  The Griffon was mainly intended for low altitude operation. My father flew Spitfires and Hurricanes, so you'll have to forgive me being a bit biased.

• Reply 252 of 301
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    To turn the topic away from arguing for a minute...

The battery life on my 38mm Watch has been great so far. After around ~10 hours yesterday I was still at 65% battery life. And this was on a day when I was playing with the Watch more than normal as I was showing it off to people. I topped off the watch before bed (which took less than a half hour) and put it back on to do some sleep tracking (heart rate) and when I woke up 7 hours later my battery life was at 84%.

Last year Jony Ive said a team member was using the watch as an alarm and how cool it was because it didn't wake his wife or baby. I remember John Gruber sneering at that comment asking how you use the watch as an alarm if it's charging. Well you can, I'm doing it. I think Cook sold battery life short, at least he did in my case. The Watch doesn't take that long to charge so I know I can top it off before I go to bed and then top it off in the morning when I get up. Note: the workout app is clearly the biggest battery drainer and I haven't used that much yet.

Oh and using ?Pay with the Watch is freaking awesome. And will be even more awesome when more places are using NFC readers.
  • Reply 253 of 301
    bc2009bc2009 Posts: 43member

No one can prove they are wrong because Apple didn't release any numbers. Besides doom and gloom is to be expected the way Apple hyped this watch. They had Jony Ive out taking pictures with fashion designers that looked they they died ten years ago. This was the product that was going to change the fashion industry. 

Also I fully believe that Apple did not release the numbers because right now the doom and gloom predictions are not as bad as the actual numbers. Apple is using terms like 'beat internal expectations/numbers" or sales are healthy. It defies logic if the numbers were great and would stop the bad press Apple would release the numbers. Clearly the numbers aren't good or are at least bad enough Apple believes they would hurt the stock price. 

The whole we don't want to let the competition know how well it's doing is BS. The iPhone is the most copied product in history and they release numbers days after the iPhone 6 was released. 

You do realize that Tim Cook indicated that Apple would not release sales numbers on Apple Watch for competitive reasons during an earnings call months BEFORE the Apple Watch released? He couldn't have known if the numbers would be good or bad when he said that. So your conclusions while stated as fact are "clearly" not as obvious to those who were paying attention at previous earnings calls.
  • Reply 254 of 301
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    rogifan wrote: »
    To turn the topic away from arguing for a minute...

The battery life on my 38mm Watch has been great so far. After around ~10 hours yesterday I was still at 65% battery life. And this was on a day when I was playing with the Watch more than normal as I was showing it off to people. I topped off the watch before bed (which took less than a half hour) and put it back on to do some sleep tracking (heart rate) and when I woke up 7 hours later my battery life was at 84%.

Last year Jony Ive said a team member was using the watch as an alarm and how cool it was because it didn't wake his wife or baby. I remember John Gruber sneering at that comment asking how you use the watch as an alarm if it's charging. Well you can, I'm doing it. I think Cook sold battery life short, at least he did in my case. The Watch doesn't take that long to charge so I know I can top it off before I go to bed and then top it off in the morning when I get up. Note: the workout app is clearly the biggest battery drainer and I haven't used that much yet.

I second that. Battery life is the least of things to worry about.

Oh and using ?Pay with the Watch is freaking awesome. And will be even more awesome when more places are using NFC readers.

Still haven't used it. :embarrass The closest I've come is the Wallet (running wOS 2.0) pass for Starbucks which shows a barcode.
  • Reply 255 of 301
    You guys and your positive experiences with the watch bring me each day closer to get one. :P

But only wth this wristband: http://www.padandquill.com/apple-watch-accessories/apple-watch-leather-bands/classic-apple-watch-band.html
  • Reply 257 of 301
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    Quote:

What size do you wear i'll buy it for you.

• Reply 258 of 301
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

Stock dropped because the iPhone didn't reach the number Wall Street wanted. It didn't drop because Mac, iPad or "other sales" didn't met expectations. The "Apple is doomed" got old a long time ago find a new catch phrase. 

The irrational exuberance of Wall Street does not make Apple a one-trick pony. Apple was successful and profitable before the iPhone, before the iPad. In fact:

Quote:

...if you took the iPhone business out of Apple then what remains is still larger than all of Microsoft combined.

I'm going to let that sink in. This idea that Apple is a "one-trick pony" got old a long time ago. It's the new "Apple is doomed." If you're tired of hearing that, then I suggest you discontinue posting FUD about Apple's doom.

• Reply 259 of 301
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The irrational exuberance of Wall Street does not make Apple a one-trick pony. Apple was successful and profitable before the iPhone, before the iPad. In fact:

I'm going to let that sink in. This idea that Apple is a "one-trick pony" got old a long time ago. It's the new "Apple is doomed." If you're tired of hearing that, then I suggest you discontinue posting FUD about Apple's doom.

The market right now sees Apple as a one trick pony, as a shareholder thats all that matters to me. I invest in Apple based on how they are seen not how I like them to be seen. Stock dropped today because Apple lost the top spot in china,  Xiaomi taking the top spot. I like Apple for two reasons I like the products they make and I like the money I make off them. As soon as those two factors don't suit my needs my love for them ends on a dime. 

That's what you people can't get through your head, your blind love of Apple is just that blind. While @SolipsismY wants to try and mock my logic it appears the market agrees with me. Which is why I sold my AAPL before the earnings report because I knew Apple as never going to hit the target the street wanted and I know Cook would be dumb enough not to release Apple Watch numbers and would allow speculation to continue. 

I know you guys like to jump around and get all excited about earning, not sure when the "investors" on the board are going to take the hint this isn't your father's 1970 economy. Thats why @sog35 is having a meltdown today, he just doesn't get it. 

I know you're a bit angry, I would be too if I was holding at 132.00 on Jul 20th and now holding at about 117.00 after hours. iPad was down about 18% and Macs I believe up 9% no one cares, Apple is the iPhone. 

• Reply 260 of 301
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    [quote name="AtlApple" url="/t/187447/apple-watch-supplier-misses-2m-unit-break-even-point-for-q2-fud-flinging-ensues/240#post_2756362"]While @SolipsismY wants to try and mock my logic it appears the market agrees with me.[/QUOTE]

You misspelled [I]illogic[/I].

[QUOTE]...and I know Cook would be dumb enough not to release Apple Watch numbers and would allow speculation to continue.[/QUOTE]

You mean those numbers you swear must be bad? Those are the numbers you think would have helped the stock jump? You can't even keep your backpedaling straight. :rolleyes: