Long-awaited Dr. Dre album to launch on Aug. 7 as Apple Music & iTunes exclusive

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited August 2015
The next album by rapper and Beats co-founder Dr. Dre, Compton: A Soundtrack, will launch on Aug. 7 as an exclusive for Apple Music and iTunes.

Dre announced the launch on this weekend's episode of his Beats 1 radio show, The Pharmacy, according to Pitchfork. The album can be pre-ordered on iTunes for $14.

Guests on the album include artists like Kendrick Lamar, Xzibit, Ice Cube, Snoop Dogg, Jill Scott, and Eminem. The record is inspired by the N.W.A. biopic Straight Outta Compton, which premieres on August 14 and had help from Dre.

The rapper has been working on a new album for well over a decade. During The Pharmacy, he revealed that despite releasing singles for it, the album's previous incarnation -- Detox -- was completely scrapped.

"I didn't like it. It wasn't good. The record, it just wasn't good... I worked my ass off on it, and I don't think I did a good enough job," he said.

Apple bought Beats for $3 billion in 2014, bringing Dre and many others into its corporate fold. Since the launch of Apple Music on June 30, Dre has become an important promotional tool, not only because of the The Pharmacy but because the service is the exclusive home of his most famous album, The Chronic.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    The album dropping one week before the NWA movie. That's got to be a coincidence because I keep getting told that Dre is just a thug, not a business man¡

The rapper has been working on a new album for well over a decade. During <em>The Pharmacy</em>, he revealed that despite releasing singles for it, the album's previous incarnation -- <em>Detox</em> -- was completely scrapped.

"I didn't like it. It wasn't good. The record, it just wasn't good... I worked my ass off on it, and I don't think I did a good enough job," he said.

I wish more people cared about the quality of their work instead of just the immediate windfall from initial sales.

sog35 wrote: »
    another reason to join AppleMusic

Not for me. Ill just buy the album.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    Meh.
  • Reply 3 of 29

I would like to see a video ad promoting the album with Apple products making guest appearances similar to the video ad Beats made for the World Cup last year.

• Reply 4 of 29
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Doj to investigate.
  • Reply 5 of 29

can't wait for Dr. Dre's new album:)

who is listening to this crap??

• Reply 6 of 29

I'll listen. I've left my 'comfort zone' many times within Apple Music.

• Reply 7 of 29
    An album that was just announced is not "long-awaited".
  • Reply 8 of 29
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    woopy :\.
    Haven't looked at Music's streaming and subscription services yet. No interest in Music aside from listening to my Library. I have no interest in Dr. Dre or Beats either and have yet to muster enough interest in the Watch to even walk in a store to look. I'm still loyal to Apple but obviously not their target demographic. As such it's no surprise to me that AAPL has stalled. I believe the stock will rally year end but I don't believe its new products and services are all they're cracked up to be. My expectations for the "other" category are not high.
  • Reply 9 of 29

People have been waiting for another album by Dre since his last one. That's a long time.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

Meh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

I'll listen. I've left my 'comfort zone' many times within Apple Music.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

woopy image.

Does anyone on this site have ANY idea how humongous this album is?!!!

It's the most anticipated album in Hip Hop history and people have been waiting and investigating and leaking for over a decade!!!!

Me and my android friend have been waiting forever, just told him it was an Apple Exclusive!! He'll be buying this on launch on iTunes.

I really wish some people knew how big this is, his albums are musical masterpieces. He's been working on this one for over a decade.

Releasing this before the movie and the next iPhone will pay off dearly. I just wish it was an AppleMusic launch album... Kinda is...

• Reply 11 of 29
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

It's the most anticipated album in Hip Hop history and people have been waiting and investigating and leaking for over a decade!!!!

Me and my android friend have been waiting forever, just told him it was an Apple Exclusive!! He'll be buying this on launch on iTunes.

I really wish some people knew how big this is, his albums are musical masterpieces. He's been working on this one for over a decade.

Releasing this before the movie and the next iPhone will pay off dearly. I just wish it was an AppleMusic launch album... Kinda is...

Why wait? You can find the entire album on YouTube.

I just listened to it. It's not bad but not great, and has that old school Dre feel that is all too familiar. Of course you are going to want to buy it when it comes out for the sake of convenience, but no need to wait until the 7th to listen to it.

Also I am not a fan of exclusives. But considering how close Dre is to Apple these days I guess I understand. Still don't like the idea.

• Reply 12 of 29
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    9secondko wrote: »
    Meh.

Seconded. Was into rap in the 80s and part of the 90s, but I've long since lost all interest.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    jungmark wrote: »
    Doj to investigate.

Al Franken to lead the pitchfork party to Cupertino.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    cali wrote: »

Do you think it will go Platinum?
  • Reply 15 of 29
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

Parental Advisory? How's that going to work out with the Family plan? :p

Ok, on a more serious note:

Dr Dre's Connect is very much about his "Pharmacy" show. There's no mention or behind the scenes look of his upcoming album? This is a missed opportunity to make Connect relevant.

• Reply 16 of 29
    mr o wrote: »
    Parental Advisory? <span style="line-height:1.4em;">How's that going to work out with the Family plan? </span>
    :p

I'm not sure how much of your comment is a joke, but I would assume that iOS wouldn't play that content due an explicit language tag in the meta data.
  • Reply 17 of 29

Long-awaited by whom  :no::no:

• Reply 18 of 29
    Apple Ping: because we all want to find out what our friends are listening to (demograph: 12-25 year olds)

Apple Watch: because you can't be too dependant on tech (demograph: Apple stock owners/wanna be board members, the
    piss away money crowd)

Apple Beats: because it's tough keeping current without paying a subscription for it (demograph: 25-50 hipsters with with a smattering of white man's guilt)

Apple Car: because being locked up in an ecosystem is so underrated...oh, and those who identify as female will finally understand what it means to be held by the balls (demograph: the dominated)

Apple Ipad: because for the best device, people will settle for limited i/o (demograph: people like me...begrudgingly)

Apple Computers/OSX: because some us still need a powerful, tightly operating system and who need serious production capabilities (demograph: the creative types who Apple keeps forgeting about in pursuit of the big picture...read: the masses with consumer/consumption drive)

Apple Garageband: because everybody is a musican (demograph: everyone)

Apple Movie: because everybody is a filmmaker (demograph: everyone)

Apple Aperture: because Apple decided we really don't need all that professional bloat (demograph: the masses whom Apple determined really don't need it)

Apple Logic Pro: because some of us can't believe we've escaped the bullet of termination or stripped-down one size fits all for this long now (demograph: people like me who love the BEST sequencer but wake up at night in cold sweats wondering if Apple and their holy wisdom will turn it into Garageband Pro)
  • Reply 19 of 29

Sad I cannot find (the original) Straight Outta Compton on ?Music. I really wanted to hear it since I never got the chance to listen to it.

• Reply 20 of 29
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    cali wrote: »

It's just a guy making music

Some people will like it. Some won't

I don't care for his music. So it means nothing to me.

The whole beats things was just off. But if it gets more people to buy Apple stuff then great.

Other than that who cares.

I'd be more interested when weird al makes a UHF sequel.