Apple issues sixth beta of OS X El Capitan to developers

Posted:
in macOS edited August 2015
Apple on Monday released a sixth developer beta of OS X El Capitan, further refining the operating system as it rapidly approaches a fall release date.

The new version is listed as build 15A244d, and should be available for registered developers through the Mac App Store's Updates tab, or else the Developer Center Web portal. No significant changes have been announced.

The code is likely similar in character to the fifth beta, released a week ago, which made only minor tweaks and bug fixes. A fourth beta was issued just days prior.

The quick iteration of recent betas may suggest that Apple is nearly done with El Capitan, and only working on polishing code before a public debut.

The software will not be a major upgrade over OS X Yosemite, but will include things like Split View, a better Mission Control, and various performance improvements such as Metal graphics processing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    Not a major upgrade over OS X Mavericks?... Is that a typo??... Yep, rendering in message view or comment view it says Yosemite.... Not a problem, that is what edit is for! ...or is that editor? ;-))
  • Reply 2 of 12
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

I've only vaguely been following this.  What exactly does a "better Mission Control" imply?  I use it constantly and couldn't imagine living without it.  I wonder if the changes are going to be significant enough that I'll have to re-learn a bit?

• Reply 3 of 12
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    aaronj wrote: »
    I've only vaguely been following this.  What exactly does a "better Mission Control" imply?  I use it constantly and couldn't imagine living without it.  I wonder if the changes are going to be significant enough that I'll have to re-learn a bit?

If you go here:

http://www.apple.com/osx/elcapitan-preview/

and scroll down a bit you'll get to a section regarding Mission Control.

The key differences seem to be:
    • For the view that shows all your windows in the current space (aka Exposé), the way this works appears to be being taken back to pretty much how it worked in OS X 10.3, which is when the feature was first introduced. I'm very happy about that because I've never liked any of the "improvements" that Apple made to it since then.
    • Spaces are now simply listed by name at the top of the screen, with no visual preview (saves space to make more room for Exposé)
    • It is now "easier" to move windows to new spaces
  • Reply 4 of 12

WARNING!

If you use Xcode 6.4, it will NOT work on this beta. I upgraded and Xcode crashes immediately on launch. This seems to be a common issue on the developer forums as well. 

• Reply 5 of 12
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

If you go here:

• For the view that shows all your windows in the current space (aka Exposé), the way this works appears to be being taken back to pretty much how it worked in OS X 10.3, which is when the feature was first introduced. I'm very happy about that because I've never liked any of the "improvements" that Apple made to it since then.

• Spaces are now simply listed by name at the top of the screen, with no visual preview (saves space to make more room for Exposé)

It would be great if it were like Spaces (in Snow Leopard). I use the app TotalSpaces2 to almost duplicate what Spaces was like.

• Reply 6 of 12
    mad102190 wrote: »
    WARNING!

If you use Xcode 6.4, it will NOT work on this beta. I upgraded and Xcode crashes immediately on launch. This seems to be a common issue on the developer forums as well. 
    You should probably be using Xcode 7 with El Capitan.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

If you go here:

OK, thanks.  I could see how these would work as improvements on my MacBook.  But on my 27" iMac none of these are going to be improvements at all, AFAIC.  Oh well.  I'll get used to them eventually, I suppose.

Thanks again.

• Reply 8 of 12

Xcode 7 fails to build any projects and crashes if I open any storyboard or xib file. Also, it forces me to upgrade all my swift code to 2.0, which causes issues for people working on the same project as me running 6.4.

• Reply 9 of 12
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by mad102190 View Post

Also, it forces me to upgrade all my swift code to 2.0, which causes issues for people working on the same project as me running 6.4.

Well, oughtn’t your development be focusing on the new software anyway?

• Reply 10 of 12
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mad102190 View Post

Xcode 7 fails to build any projects and crashes if I open any storyboard or xib file. Also, it forces me to upgrade all my swift code to 2.0, which causes issues for people working on the same project as me running 6.4.

IMHO, 'good practice' says that all the developers in a group should be using the same version of the same compiler (build tools) for a given target. It drives QA and developers nuts to see a program behave differently on one machine than on another -- it tends to make you think that maybe the System or hardware is an issue. Back in the day (and to a much smaller degree today) it makes you wonder if some extension one of you is using is causing a problem.

Not a bad idea to be testing with a single version for the base code and then also look for differences in behavior between the compiler you started with and the current one. I would think you were making a lot of extra work for yourself otherwise.

• Reply 11 of 12
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Quote:

If you go here:

OK, thanks.  I could see how these would work as improvements on my MacBook.  But on my 27" iMac none of these are going to be improvements at all, AFAIC.  Oh well.  I'll get used to them eventually, I suppose.

Thanks again.

I'd be surprised if you (actually most adopters) didn't find a thing or two you use that you'll find is new and likable. Of course with that said, I would also be surprised if you didn't find some change that annoys you. 8-)

Cheers!

• Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I'd be surprised if you (actually most adopters) didn't find a thing or two you use that you'll find is new and likable. Of course with that said, I would also be surprised if you didn't find some change that annoys you. 8-)

Cheers!

Heh.  Probably true on both counts, come to think of it. :)